Monday, June 20, 2016

What are you putting in your fuel tank?



Fueling for a race is similar to putting gas in a vehicle.  If you have 400 miles to travel, you wouldn’t just put half a tank of gas in your tank would you? And you wouldn’t put bad gas in your tank would you?  NO, you’d want to fill your tank with the best gas so that you’d make it to your destination in plenty of time and without problems.  Well, our bodies are much like a vehicle.  It needs to be fueled with the proper nutrients to perform at its best.  

I’ve done races in the past where I didn’t really focus on what was going in my body days leading up to the race much less on race day and let me just tell you that I suffered for it.  Have you ever finished a race where you didn’t just feel tired or achy from the physical part of the race, but you also just felt plain sick?  It can be stomach problems to just plain feeling like you have the flu.  I’m not an expert and I would never try to tell someone exactly what to eat.  I will say that you must find what works for you and it’s VERY IMPORTANT to fuel your body properly.  Not just on race day but days to weeks leading up to a race.  Honestly we should all thrive to fuel our bodies every day with GOOD stuff.  I’m not saying cut out chocolate cake.  It’s good to have a treat, but we don’t need to do it every day all day long. 


When I started this ironman training I began reading and researching anything and everything from training programs to nutritional programs.  Yes, I’ve fueled for a marathon before, but this is a tad different.  First of all it’s going to probably be a much longer day of physical exertion than what it takes for me to do a marathon.  Its 3 different sports all rolled into one day!

Now I’m the type person that must practice in training what I plan to do on race day.  I can’t just wake up on race morning and hope that I’ll remember to fuel properly.  I must practice it for it to become part of my routine.  So in all my reading on fueling for a triathlon they talk about eating while you are on the bike.  It makes sense.  You can’t eat while you are swimming and you don’t want to eat much while running because your stomach is bouncing up and down.  So that leaves the bike.  It will be a LONG day.  At least 10 hours.  Yes, the half ironman time limit is 8 hours 30 minutes, but you have to think about the time you’ll spend in the morning getting to transition, setting up your bike, then going to wait to start your swim wave.  It’s going to be a long day and you’ll need to fuel properly to finish the race without totally collapsing at the end.  "PRACTICE DOESN'T MAKE PERFECT.  PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT."


So for weeks now I’ve been practicing eating on the bike.  I take peanut butter crackers, etc. in my little fuel bag and try to eat something every 30 minutes.  Now, I’m not eating a hamburger and fries. LOL  I’m trying to put stuff in my body that is good for me.  Things with protein and carbs.   I read the book “Against The Odds” after doing my first 50K trail run a couple years ago.  John Pendergrass is a guy from my local area who in his sixties competed in six of the world’s toughest triathlons across six continents.  He talks a lot about nutrition and his training.  He wasn’t the fastest and most people didn’t think he could accomplish what he did, but hard work and dedication paid off for him.  It’s a great book. 

I was almost giddy the other day when I found a new “alert” on my Garmin watch.  It’s called EAT. J  I have it set on my bike settings to alert me every 30 minutes to eat.  The first time I tested it out and it beeped it kind of scared me.  The tone was different than my distance alert and I wondered what the heck.  But when I looked at my watch I just smiled.  The alert had worked at exactly 30 minutes into my ride.  I tell you these gadgets are so dang smart! It’s like a tiny little computer all on your wrist.  Well, I guess basically it is a computer.  I mean it’s a GPS, tracks ya distance, ya pace, ya time, you name it.. it tracks it. J  



Last week I even found a new data screen that's called “multisport” time.  I’ve got to test this out.  This will be cool if it works the way I think it works.  I can set it on my run segment of the TRI and it should give me the total time that I’ve been going so far in the race.  We are all focused on finishing before our 8 hour 30 minute time limit is up so this should help me to make sure I’m staying within the time limit on my last activity of the TRI. 


So back to nutrition.  I love this comment.. “When it comes to endurance events, a properly fueled twenty-year old Nissan can beat an under-fueled Ferrari every time.”   Many people think they need to cut carbs, but the truth is that endurance athletes need to eat carbs to do what we do.  Now there are good and bad carbs so do your homework.  Ever heard of “the wall” when talking about a marathon?  Well, some people say its lightheadedness or dead legs.  Hitting the wall is a common reason people end up having to DNF (did not finish) in a race.  Here’s some math for you.  (I got this from one of my nutrition books for triathletes)  The human body can store around 2,000 calories worth of carbs, which roughly translates to the energy needed for twenty miles of running… sound familiar.. “The wall”.  Most people hit the wall around here, exactly when their fuel tanks would be depleted without proper pre-race fueling and fueling during a race itself. 



I’m not a nutrition expert so I’m not going to go into tons of details.  I urge every athlete to do their homework.  Some people simply like to take GU gels when running.  My stomach can’t handle too many of those or I will have really ugly stomach issues after a race.  So I try to stay away from taking those every 45 minutes as recommended.  My best advice is to test your nutrition before race day.  That way you will have a great race. J  And remember the phrase… “The bike sets up the run” according to most for a half ironman distance. 


Oh and if you haven’t heard, Chocolate milk is a great recovery beverage.  I usually take it with me in a small ice chest when I train.  Chocolate milk provides the perfect ratio of carbohydrates to protein, just what our body’s need after a hard session. 



After a 15 mile run Saturday, a brick workout (bike then run) on Sunday and a 2,100 yard swim this morning, I plan to take the night off from exercise and eat some good food to fuel my tank for tomorrow. J  I've got some veggies from my dad's garden.  Going to be so good except I've got to scrape it off the cob first.  :) Happy training to you.

"Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results." Willie Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...