Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Pensacola Double Bridge 15K



What better way to do the weekend than with a race at the beach?  Only probably was that no matter how beautiful it was looking out at that ocean, it was COLD.  If the wind had not been blowing all weekend, I would probably have said it was PERFECT.  Since it wasn't perfect, I'm kind of glad I had to work Friday and not get to the beach till late that night.  I'm very thankful my girlfriends that I roomed with picked up my race packet for me.  

Several of us meet up at the Holiday Inn fire pit that night.  It was so nice visiting with everyone.  Many of us had not been off together in months.  We all had a good laugh then hit the bed fairly early to be ready for the 5:45am bus ride to the start line.  Thank goodness they pick you up right at the front door of the Holiday Inn because that wind at 5:45am was COLD!  

I snapped these pictures on the bus heading to the start line.



Check out that sunrise!  

When we arrived at the start line I captured a quick group picture while we were waiting to get in the bathroom to try to get out of the cold wind.  



Charity is in the center with glasses.  She doesn't race often with us.  While we were waiting she asked me why in the world we did this race every year if it was always so cold.  I laughed and told her we were just all crazy.  However, I thought a lot about that question while I was running the 9.3 miles.  I sign up for races because it challenges me.  It gives me motivation.  I run faster at a race than I would on a training run most times.  It basically just keeps me going and I enjoy seeing all the people.  To me it's fun even if we have to start out freezing to death.  So why do you run?  Some may only run for the sport of winning.  I know that I'm not going to be winning no races.  I'm just an average girl trying to stay in shape.   

This would be the first race for me since surgery that I could really see if I was able to run again.  The doctor had told me to mostly walk the Blues half so I was a good girl and did.  But this was the one that was going to let me know if I could still run a decent pace.  It wasn't just the surgery.... I had been off for bursitis for months then death in family so basically I really haven't ran in over 6 months.  I had done a few runs but no REAL running.  This was going to be my test and I was pumped with nervous energy. Thank goodness my bursitis seems to finally be better!!! My doctor old me that it took him a full year to get over his.  It's nothing to mess with.  I'm continuing with my hip stretches and have a post-it-note on my desk to remind me.  I don't want to be in the shape again.  

The buzzer went off and we were off.  It was so crowded that there was no way to really run for a good mile or so.  That's typically of most races when you have a big group of runners.  It takes a couple of miles for people to spread out and begin to maintain their normal paces.  I had set my watch to run 2 minutes and walk 1 minute.  I told myself I had to stick to that program because I didn't want to overdo and my body suffer.  I was SO shocked that when my watch beeped to run that I could maintain a pace slightly under 10 minutes.  Each time my watch beeped a mile the pace was right at 10 minutes.  I was pumped.  I was maintain a 10 minute pace with walking added in with my running.  My body felt great.  I've told several people since the race that I felt like my old young self running.  I was energized and felt amazing.  I haven't had this feeling in so long I had kind of forgotten what it felt like.  Talk about endorphins!  


I love seeing people carry the flag at races!  Me and this guy were neck and neck for a long time.  The wind made the flag flow so pretty.  It wasn't good for us runners, but just look at the flag!  God Bless America!

For some reason I had in my mind that my PR at this was a 1:37, so when I finished with a 1:36 I was even more excited.  I meet up with Kathy who finished many minutes ahead of me with a PR.  We grabbed a picture and talked about how good we ran.  I told her I thought I had a PR, but needed to check my old report to be sure.  I even posted it on FB.....   Well, NO PR for me.  ha   I checked my stats on Monday and my PR at the race in the past is a 1:25.   I guess once you get past 50 the memory really does go.  Hee Hee   Actually, I'm terrible at remembering my old times.  My friend Serina can remember everything and I am always unsure.  Maybe it's cause I don't focus too much on my time overall.  To me it's truly about the finish.  Now YES I am happy when I run a good pace, but I might not remember it exactly the next year. ha  

Kathy & I at the finish

me with my medal

My time... whoop whoop... not bad for a run:walk program.  Maybe it's true what Jeff Galloway says about the program.  You really can maintain a good pace overall if you run a good pace during your run times.  


It was a great day!  I loved spending the night with my girlfriends and I love the race even though the bridges with their hill is pretty tough!  Check out the elevation:


Well that's it for a recap.  If you've never done Double Bridge, you should check it out.  They also offer a 5K if you don't want to do the 15K.


Until next time,
D

PS.... get out and go for a RUN. :<>)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Deleica. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. Interesting blog post with pictures and encouraging your readers to take part in running. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. we would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends and also wishing you, your family and friends a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the new year 2018.

    ReplyDelete

Boston Marathon 2024 (Part 2 - The Marathon)

  Once again I say, I just can't thank you enough to Susan Hurley, Founder and Owner of Charity Teams and Kim Chisholm, Executive Direct...