Friday, April 27, 2018

Hattiesburg - DREAM bike ride 4-21-18

Charity Bike ride for DREAM.  

Dream of Hattiesburg is a non-profit, community-based substance abuse prevention agency.  Their mission is to prevent and/or reduce the abuse of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.  So you know I was down for riding.  I love to help out organizations that help others.   And not to mention since I am in the middle of training for my first full Ironman race, the long distance bike miles are right up my alley.  

I also had a couple of friends join me.  :>)  I decided not to do the 100 miles because I am signed up to do 100 at the Natchez Trace on 5-7-18.  We all did the 65 miles except Frank.  He did the 30 miler and then waited on all of us to finish.  He was at the finish line ready to help us with our bikes, show us where food was at, and anything else we needed.  Honestly, he's like the best thing ever!  I wish I could take him to all my races. :>)  He's such a caring friend and wants to help all of us.  We all pick at him and tell him he has a "Harem" of women. :>) 

After rain for several weekends in a row, it turned out to be a beautiful morning for a bike ride.  They started the 100 milers first at 7am and then us at 7:30am.  The night before when I loaded my bike I noticed the back tire was almost flat.  I almost changed out the tube but decided to just air it up.  I should have changed the tube!  When I arrived at the site and began unloading my bike, my tire was flat.  I have yet to change a tire on my new bike so everything seemed to tight.  I worried with it for a good 10 minutes until the guys that were parked next to me told me that they had a bike tent up at the start line where they would change it for me real fast.  So I rushed to the tent.  See I didn't arrive till 30 minutes prior to start time because I knew it wasn't a race.  But at this point, I was mad at myself for not being earlier.  A guy I know was working and quickly asked me what was wrong.  He changed my tube, but when he went to air it up the stem on the tube was so short the portable pump they had would not attach and fill my tire.  So we rushed back to the parking lot to get my gear bag with my CO2 unit.  I just did make it back to the start line to meet my friends with them announcing they were starting us in 30 seconds.  Talk about being rushed!  All I could think about was that I had probably forgotten something that I would need on the ride.  I didn't even wish my friends good luck.   Mel grabbed a quick picture and we were off.  We are all different speeds so I knew we wouldn't be together for long as soon as the crowd thinned out on the trace.  


Us at the start line... Krista, me, Sonya & Mel.... not sure where Frank was at during this pic.  Notice we are in the back.  Krista has on her clip pedals that she just got so she did not want to start up in the crowd.  Mel and I gradually weaved our way around the crowd once on the trace and finally got a pretty good speed going.  When I passed the 2nd rest stop along the course she yelled at me and said, "Are you ever going to stop?".   I just laughed and told her my plan was not to stop till the half way point.  She didn't like that too much. hee hee..  She said the pickle juice sure smelled good at the rest stop we passed. :>)   For awhile she was drafting off me and then I lost her.  

I arrived at the half way mark and was averaging 17mph.  I was happy.  Going out tends to be a tiny bit of elevation in several spots so I knew coming back I could maintain that 17mph (or I hoped).  I have not maintained 17mph on longer distance miles since the Florida half ironman where I averaged 17.8 miles for the race.  I did average 17.8 at the sprint TRI the first of April, but that was only 17 miles.  Taking off for months really showed in my speed, but it's starting to return.  I quickly went to the bathroom, filled my water bottle and chatted with a young girl that had been riding neck and neck with me for a good 15 miles.  She introduced herself and wanted to know if I was training for something, etc.  She was sweet and reminded me of my friend Serina who never meets a stranger.  

As I was leaving out of the rest stop, Mel came in and wanted me to stay with her.  I told her I had to get going.  I had already stopped longer than I wanted to.  She grabbed a quick picture and told me she'd see me at the finish line. 


Aren't we cute. :>)
I was soon back out on the route.  A few times my legs would say they were tired, but I pushed to stay at that 17mph average.  I meet a very nice couple the last 15 miles.  We ended up pacing each other.  They were doing a shorter distance than me and had came up behind me.  We got to talking when we had to stop at one of the road crossings for a car.  They too asked me if I was training or just riding.  They both have done full ironman races.  They told me that Chattanooga was their first ironman.  They said I am going to love it.  So we talked about the race and paced each other until we crossed the finish line.  They are from Madison, Ms so not too far from me.  They will also be at the Natchez Trace ride that I'm doing in May.

 Frank was at the finish line waiting and took some pictures of me.


Thanks FRANK! 

My goal was to do the 65 miles in 4 hours.  I beat that time.  I ended up doing it in 3 hours 48 minutes, average pace 17.1 mph.   It might of been faster but the last 7 miles or so we had to stop several times for cars and a 5K race that was going on.  I thought the kids were going to make us wreck.  When you are clipped into your pedals...... it can be very nerve racking knowing you might have to try to clip out real fast to avoid a bad wreck.  You can't just hit your brakes and stop then put ya feet down because your feet are clipped into the pedals.  :>)

It wasn't long until Mel, Krista and Sonya made it in.  I was so proud of Krista... her longest ride to date!  




Of course we had to get a picture holding our bikes.  I had already put mine up on my car and Mel said I had to go get it. :>)  I LOVE IT. 

Mel, Krista, Sonya, & Me

It was a great day!  I made my goal and Krista also wanted to maintain a 15mph average and she averaged 15.2mph! Whoop Whoop .... You can do anything you put your mind too! She's working towards her first full marathon in December.  I can't wait to see her complete this journey. 

I have to give thanks to MEL!  She is our spin teacher and she kicks our butts in class.  I would not be as strong as I am if it wasn't for her.  I can beat her outside on the bike, but she beats me in spin class. :>)  I guess you can call it equal.  hee hee

Well that's a wrap for the 65 mile bike ride.  This week my coach as me on recovery.  Next weekend will be the 100 miler.  I hope we have good weather for that ride.  Looking forward to seeing my other friend Kathy Byrd riding.  

Happy Training,
D







No comments:

Post a Comment

Half Marathon #50 for me! Run the Rainbow for the Children's Hospital in Jackson, Ms

  Saturday, March 16, 2024 I ran my 50th half marathon.  WOW!  never in a million years when I was younger would I have thought I would or e...