Monday, January 7, 2019

It's only the 7th of the new year and I've done 2 races..... Steam Whistle 12K & QB Resulotion 5K Run with Polar Plunge

"Every run presents a new adventure, full of great gifts.  We don't have to 'win' to receive them - but we do have to get out the door."  - Amby Burfoot, 1968 Boston Marathon Champion and Runners World writer 

They say start the new year off by running.... well that's exactly what I did.  I started with a 12K on January 1st.  I love the Steam Whistle race.  It's local and so many friends normally do the race.  Plus it doesn't start till 9am! stay up a little late on New Years eve, you can still make the race. :>)  

You have the option... you can either run the 12K (7.4 miles), or you can walk the 6K (3.7 miles).  And they have blackeyed peas, cornbread and greens after the race.  However, I was going back home to cook for my family so I didn't stay and eat.  I wish I had taken a few pictures with my friends before I rushed so to make it back home to cook.  This is the only picture I took... a selfie afterwards... ha  
I had a pretty good race.  I felt great except the dang bathroom hit me half way into the run!  I've got to figure out what is causing this.  It happens every time I try to run hard on races over 3 miles.  I can go run slow and easy and it won't happen.  I have not changed anything in my diet or any fuel I'm taking during my runs.  Someone told me that some runners have big issues with their stomach when they run hard due to all the bouncing of the intestines.  Maybe that's it... who knows but it's so aggravating.  My pace per mile was going really good then I had to stop and walk off and on to avoid a major accident due to my stomach.  Here is my pace per mile.  


Overall I was pleased with my run and guess what.... no foot issues!! I'm praising God for that big time!!! 

NEXT... Resolution Run 5K & Polar Plunge - Quad Burner Series first race of the series...



I skipped the series last year because some of the dates interfered with other things I was doing, but hoped to get back to it this year.  I'm glad so far I think I'll be able to do all 5 races this year.  The races are different.  Sometimes it's a TRI, some times a duathlon, and sometimes just a road race like this one.  That's what I like.... they mix it up. :>)  And the medals usually are so neat and if you get all of them they typically form something bigger.  

I wasn't sure if I would actually do the polar plunge or not.  I signed up, but was going to wait too see how many actually did it.  Well..... I think EVERYONE did it. LOL  So I joined as well.  Can't miss all the fun.... hee hee  


I felt really good running which kind of surprised me because the day before I did a 10 mile long run.  I thought my legs may feel tired, but they didn't.  It was no PR on the 5K, but I had a really good time.  I was thrilled.... and no foot issues... PRAISE GOD>  



I got 2nd place in my age group.  Yippie...   As Jennifer and us talked about ... we use to think when we got older we would smoke people....but the dang 40, 50+ women are FAST. :>)  HOWEVER, Jennifer is still smoking it! She had a pace of 7:35 per mile!  She always amazes me and I'm so glad she's signed up to do the full ironman also! 

I did get more pictures at this race.  YIPPIE

Us girls after the 5K ... 


Me and Robin... Go team TOA! She's the sweetest.  She is from the coast area.  

Our medal for the 5K and my mimosa :>) 


Then we did the polar plunge!  
We are in the background of these pictures.. 




The two girls in the front of the picture I meet at the race.  Robin introduced them to me... Nicole and Sno... They were so much FUN. 




Gotta love the Swamp Donkey's .. blue plungers... They crack me up!  They are always dressed so cute for the races.  

So I survived.  It actually wasn't bad at all.  And as Dr. Kat said... it really wasn't a real polar plunge since it turned out to be 61 degrees and sunny. LOL  


My loot from the race.... and my tile I got for my 2nd place finish in the 5K in the 51-55 age group.



So that's a wrap for now.  I have the Louisiana half marathon coming up later this month.  I originally signed up for the full, but backed down to the half after the St. Jude Marathon to give my foot more time to heal.  I don't want to stress it with too many long miles right now and with it not hurting on these shorter runs, I'm very happy. :>)  



Today's devotion was good...... You know Jesus made the planets and shaped the stars, yet he prayed.  He is the Lord of the angels, yet he prayed.  He set a compelling prayer example for us.  We should take everything to him in prayer. 

"If you believe, you will get anything you ask for in prayer." Matthew 21:22

I'm praying for a full recovery from my bike wreck and for no issues with  my foot this year.  The ironman training is underway! 

MUAH, 
D




No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying Pig Marathon - 5/4/24

  Last marathon for me until the Fall. 🙌🙌🙌😁 3 weeks after Boston another marathon.. say what.. ha ... I think we actually registered for...