Sunday, March 3, 2019

Quad Burner Duathlon 3-2-19


Some races are just better than others. Know what I mean? I think most of the time we all hope for a great race.  However they usually aren't all great.  Yesterday was my first time to ride my bike in an event since my bike wreck.  I was a tad nervous before the weekend and got even more worried on my drive to Bay St. Louis on Saturday morning.  It was so foggy that you could barely see anything.  I was extremely worried about the bike ride on the main road where cars would be while we were racing.  I almost switched to the 4 mile run instead of the duathlon when I arrived at packet pickup.  I saw a couple of people doing that and wondered if I really should or not.  I decided to just pray.  I walked up under the pavilion and begin some stretching and quietly praying.  I prayed for the fog to lift by the time we did our first run or for each car to see us as we rode.  I turned on my bike light in transition so it would be on.  I didn't care that it would be sitting there flashing while I was gone to run.  I wanted to be seen on the road on the bike.  I ran into Robin and we grabbed a picture right before the race.  She was doing the 4 miler.  

Got my bike all ready.

 Nice medals

Bike shoes ready

Oh they warned us about it being gnat season....but honestly.... you had to be there to understand that when I say it was GNAT CITY... it was GNAT CITY.   No one was standing still as we waiting for race time.  Everyone was spraying bug spray and flapping their hands and arms trying to get the dang things to go away.  It was awful.   Finally it was time to start.  They started the 4 mile runners a couple of minutes before us and then it was time for the duathlon peeps.  We would run 2 miles then come back in and get on our bikes and bike 11 miles then run another 2 miles.  It's a short duathlon and it's flat so you can basically get pretty fast.   Usually the bike all depends on the wind.  It's directly on the beach so most of the time we have a mighty wind blowing.  This year the wind was kind to us.  YIPPIE 

My first two miles were fast.  I averaged 8:35 according to my Garmin.


  I was grinning from ear to ear.  It was just the of those days where I felt great.  Nothing was hurting.  Praise Jesus.   I saw a couple of people that I knew were in my age group and beat them both on the run.  However, I took too long in transition and one of them got off on the bike ahead of me.   I don't think I would have caught her anyway, because she's usually in the 20 mph range on her bike.  She's FAST.   However, when I started riding I told myself don't look at the time.  Just ride.  I felt great.  Nova and I switch back and forth for a little bit with her being ahead of me and then me being ahead of her.  She's a great biker and also in my age group!  She told me she was out of shape, but she sure was hanging with me on the bike!  I finally decided to look down on the way back in just to see what my speed was and boy was I surprised when I saw 19 mph!  I couldn't believe it.  I've not really gotten up in speed since my accident.  I'm still a little gun shy on the bike.   But today I was moving.  The wind was not bad and my legs just felt so good.  You come in on a downhill and have to stop and get off the bike before going into transition.  By the time I got stopped and in transition I looked and my pace was 18.9 mph.  



I was still happy.  I wasn't sure where Jennifer Covington was at in her bike or if she was out running at this point.  I tried to quickly get my bike shoes off and running shoes on and out on the run I headed.  She passed me coming back in when I was almost to the 1 mile turn around. I knew there was no way to catch her but honestly I didn't care.  I was having a great race and smiling.  My pace on the 2nd run wasn't as fast.  I averaged 8:55.


 Overall I was thrilled.  

After I crossed the finish line several of us were standing around talking and finally one of them asked me if I knew I had gnats all over me.  I looked down and they were all over my arms.   Dead in my sweat!  They were all over my face too!  Everyone laughed and said they had them too but had wiped them off.  I knew I felt like I was eating bugs the whole bike ride, but I had no idea I literally had a million gnats stuck all over me.   YUK. I wished I had taken a picture before wiping them off.  You would just not believe how many there were unless you saw it.  It was just unreal.  Besides the gnats, the race was perfect.   The people who organize the Quad Burner series do a good job.  They also have the coolest swag! And the bib was so dang cute!! Just check this out!!  




And I also got 3rd place in my age group.




 Jennifer got 1st and some girl that I didn't know got 2nd.  When I looked at the results I was shocked.  I beat both of them in my run times.  Jennifer beat me on the bike.  But where they really beat me was in transition time!  I'll have to remember that next time.  I need to be faster getting in and getting out.  LOL. 

They even had green beer afterwards!


I just love this cup that I got for placing. 

 My watch is a little different than the race results on the 1st run. 

 I guess we all had the same start time.  I started in the back of the pack so it took several seconds for me to get up to the start line.  However, I'm just thrilled with my pace and how I felt.  It was a good day and I thank God for it.  He blessed me with a good race.  This morning I ran 8 easy miles.  My hamstrings are a tad tight and sore.. Hee Hee.  I need some YOGA.  

I hate I missed running with several friends at the MS50 on Saturday.  I didn't realize the QB race was the same date until late and I had already registered for the duathlon.  However, since I'm hearing it was the most mud ever out in the woods on the trial run.... I'm kind of glad I didn't go.  :>). I do plan to be back next year.  I love the race and the people.  I'm so proud of a young guy that graduated high school with my daughter.  He did his first 50 miler at the MS50!  Running long distance is more mental than anything.  You've got to have that mentality to tell yourself to keep going when you head starts trying to tell you that you can't.  You have to be able to push through the pain and not give up.  I do believe he's proved his one tough cookie!! Way to go Haden Cox!

Well, that's a wrap on my race weekend.  Yep, it's spring racing season and more races to come.  All practice for me basically as I build to that final destination.... Ironman in Chattanooga in September.  Lord willing... keep me strong and give me the endurance to finish. Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."



1 comment:

Flying Pig Marathon - 5/4/24

  Last marathon for me until the Fall. πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ˜ 3 weeks after Boston another marathon.. say what.. ha ... I think we actually registered for...