Monday, June 10, 2019

Team Run4TheKids Annual Race

Hard to believe this year is the 6th year we've hosted a local race to raise money for St. Jude! 


Our shirts were awesome this year!  We've had so many compliments on them.  The Print Press in Laurel always does such a good job for us! 

This year we decided to only do a 5K instead of trying to do a 5K & a 10K together.  Our 10K registrations were extremely low last year.  Which our overall race numbers were low last year so I really didn't know how this year would go.  Some years we've had up to 300 runners and then last year we barely made it to 100.  There seems to be so many local 5Ks around and it's so HARD to find a date that doesn't compete with another race.  We finally picked a date and at the time there were no other races listed in Hattiesburg.  However, about 2 months prior to our race I noticed the Blue Line Challenge was going to be the same day.  That's a pretty big race in Hattiesburg because it supports the law enforcement.  So I worried even more about our race.  

I didn't need to worry though.  God had it all under control.  I really need to learn that when I pray that I need to just leave it there at God's feet and not worry so much.  Our race was a huge success!  We had 180 that were pre-registered by race morning.  I was super excited because typically we have anywhere from 20-50 more register on race morning.  We ended up with slightly over 200 signed up.  Thank you sweet Jesus.  He had us the whole time. :>)  


 Some of my family that came and my niece who was the cutest little superhero! 

Nestor with his son, who was part of the group from PBP Couch to 5K!  So glad they joined our race! 


I can't thank the people enough that came to our race.  Some may actually understand how much the money we raise helps the families at St. Jude and some probably don't.  I never really fully understood until I visited St. Jude children's Hospital 7 years ago.  It light a fire deep inside of me to raise money for these precious families.  :>)  So if you were participating at our race.... THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!  And a BIG thanks to KOHLER that volunteered to have a table at our finish line with drinks and snacks for all the runners!  How awesome is that for a business to get involved on race day!!!?? 



I also want to thank the team members that came and worked the race! 


Ronnie and Be had a great 5K turn around table! They even brought an aunt to help them. :>) 

And THANKS to Southern Race Timing for always doing our timing and helping us raise money for St. Jude! Renee & Dennis are the best! 

Our team is smaller this year.  We have several that are taking a break due to either being busy with small kids or life in general.  I often tell people not to worry about taking a break whether it's due to kids or personal reasons.  I understand that life is busy.  But I plan to keep this team around for a long time so feel free to come back anytime and join us. :>)  A big thanks to Nestor, Ronnie & Be, Charity, Sunshine, Erin, Krista, Jennifer, & Jane that all worked the race!  I couldn't have done it without your help!  And a SUPER BIG thanks to Sunshine that makes our homemade medals every year!! This allows us to raise even more money for the kids because we don't have that extra cost for medals. :>)  What a blessing it is to have a team member like Sunshine willing to make medals from her own money. :>)  



I love this team and what we do!  I also love that my daughter is involved and goes to Memphis with me each year to do the 5K with my mom.... but this year I've talked her into the half marathon!  Gonna be a great December! 

Me, Erin & boss (aka the dog)

If you ever have a chance to help St. Jude, do it! So far our small team has raised almost $9,000!  Looking forward to see what we raise by December.  Here's our team link if you'd like to make a donation:


There is great joy in running for others! Just ask us. :>) Thanks Team Run4TheKids





No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...