Monday, November 18, 2019

Battleship 12K 11-17-19

 "The Battleship 12K, a patriotic run to honor those who have served, was started in 2015 as a way to pay tribute to those heroes who defend our freedom. Many Veterans have not received the heroes welcome that those returning from WWII received and it was with this in mind the event was created. Whether someone deployed to combat or only served a brief time, every man and woman who has put on the uniform to keep our Country free deserves to be thanked." Thank you organizers of the Battleship 12K!



I LOVE THIS RACE AND WHAT IT REPRESENTS!

and YES, I'm back at it.  :>)  I took one full week off from any type of exercise after the Ironman race and then last week did a few light runs (1-3 miles) and 30 minute peloton ride.   I wasn't planning on running hard at the Battleship race, so I wasn't worried about doing a 12K just 2 weeks after my Ironman race.  The weather was perfect and I felt great!  Probably because I was surround by sweet friends.  Oh it felt so good to be running with friends and just enjoying a day together!!! Been awhile since I did that.  For months it was all training and then a very long day for race.  This was so much more FUN. :>)  

The race starts on a downhill so before you know it you are going really fast. :>)  My first mile beeped off on my watch and I was at a sub 9 min mile.  I was like... ok.. lets just keep running and see how this goes.  I was pumped to finish with an overall 9:27 pace for the 12K and I never really pushed it hard or felt out of breath.  Yippie!  It wasn't a PR for me, but it was a HUGE motivator for me!  In 2020, I hope to get back to working on some speed work for my shorter distances.  Who knows.. maybe this 53 year old still has some gas in the tank. :>)  And even with a 9:27 pace, I was 20th out of 115 in my age group (50-54)... I swear the older I get the faster the women get. :>)  But I praise God daily for the ability to run!  I know not everyone is able to run.  My good friend that was training for the Ironman with me that had her bike wreck the week before our race is still unable to run.  She's had surgery and still healing.  I know it's killing her not to be able to run.  She ran almost every day.  Then I have another friend who wanted to be there so badly to run, but also has her own medical issues.  So I didn't take my ability to run this race lightly.  It was a blessing. :>)  

Now back to my friends...  I spent the day with Frank and Krista!  We had a nice visit on our drive to and from Mobile which also included a nice lunch stop at O'Charleys. :)   Plus I got to see Nestor, Nova, Katie, and several others at the race!  Here's a few pictures:

 This guy carried the tank and wore all that gear the entire 12K!! We cheered him as he came in.  Plus after he came in he kept going back out and walking others in that were still finishing the race! 


Plus our medal was so cool and I got to get a challenge coin since I had done the race 2 years in a row! 



Honored to run for ALL who have SERVED! THANK YOU!


Now the running training continues (won't start back swimming till December and short bikes on peloton for now) ... got St. Jude Half marathon coming up on December 7.  Yep, I'm not doing the full this year.  It will be my 7th year as a St. Jude Hero and 6th year with my team.. Run4TheKids!  My daughter decided to do the half this year, So I'm doing it with her.   We'll be walking it mostly, but we plan to have lots of FUN!  Sometimes it's not about speed.  It's about making memories with those that you LOVE. :>)  Can't wait till our Memphis weekend!  My son and his girlfriend will be joining my mom on the 5K this year. :>)  What a BLESSING!

Hope your training is going well!  Remember this:










No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...