Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Run4TheKids 5K & Battleship 12K weekend.

 On November 18, Team Run4TheKids hosted their annual 5K race to raise money for St. Jude Children's Hospital.  We didn't have as many racers this year as we've had in the past, but we still had a successful race.  I blame college football some for the attendance.  Southern was playing away from home.  Plus other SEC games.  We normally have our 5K in early summer, but this year decided to try a cooler month.  It was beautiful weather and no one was overheated.  😅  So far our team has raised over $10,000 for St. Jude this year.  💓  I'm very proud of every team member and I thank them all for their dedication to St. Jude.   AND I am so thankful for everyone that came and worked our 5K race!  You don't know how much that means to me.  Giving up your Saturday morning to work a 5K.. you are SPECIAL.   Several will head to Memphis this weekend for the St. Jude Memphis race weekend.  Keep us in your prayers for safe travels and running.  Just a few pics I had on my phone from the race.  I don't have a picture of everyone that worked 😌 I missed... Frank, Krista, Lyndie, Nestor, Tammy, & Sunshine! I didn't even get a picture of Sunshine's beautiful medals.  Oh and Ronnie Freeman made these amazing bowls out of wood that we also gave out as awards.  He does amazing wood work!  THANK YOU AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU THAT HELPED!  I need to go steal one of Nestor's pictures. 

Susan placed in her age group.  Yay Susan..coming back from knee injury! 

Michelle and Candy working one of the road crossings. 

When the cop showed up that would support our race, he realized Penny was his old grade school teacher.. 😍

The Freemans and Ms Ann always do a fabulous job with the half way water stop. 

Felicia, Misty & Janis working road crossings. 

Wanda working another road crossing. 


After the race me and my PPRF girls went on to Mobile to packet pickup for the Battleship 12K that would be on Sunday.  It was another beautiful morning to run.  Cool and sunny.  We had such a good time.  I laughed so hard my stomach hurt Saturday night.  We had dinner at a really nice restaurant and the food was fabulous.  It was right down from our hotel, which was so nice.  There were 7 of us in total that stayed together....   Penny, Felicia, Candy, Michelle, Virginia, Susan, & me.  

Race morning Michelle did her glitter thing and got us all ready to sparkle.  😍  We all dressed alike too. 💓  When the race started I tried to stay with the girls, but my body felt good so I just started running and not looking at my watch.  When I got to the first mile and had a 9 min pace, I was like there is no way I will be able to maintain this.....BUT... I told myself, just run... take it 1 mile at a time and see how the body feels.  So I did just that.  I did stop at a water stop and walk while drinking my water one time and I stopped and took a couple of pictures, but other than that, I ran.  I was surprised I had a 9:42 avg pace when I finished.  I really felt good.  I haven't felt that good in awhile.  You have to enjoy those moments because every race is different...... sometimes you feel like crap... and others you feel amazing... 😀  I give God all the glory! 

Here's a few pics from the weekend:  

our amazing medal... notice the battleship in his helmet

The start line.... over 1,300 runners were present 





a little photo booth at the expo 



Love our Bible verse... it's one of my favs. 

Grabbing a pic afterwards with 2 fast men.. Nestor and Dan! 



Ran into Wanda along the course. 



Finally saw Kathy at the finish line... I spotted her pony tail on mile one..but couldn't keep up with her fast pace.  💓

Michelle still putting glitter on us! 



Our hotel.. looking at that morning right before we headed to the start line... Love these two.. Felicia and Penny. 

OH AND GUESS WHAT????????????  I got the most amazing news right before these races!  I have been given the opportunity to run the Boston Marathon  in April for the 26.2 Foundation.  I am over the moon! A dream come true.  😍  I was blown away when they called and email me.  

Hi Deleica,


You have been selected to run in the 2024 Boston Marathon® Presented by Bank of America on Monday April 15, 2024, for 26.2 Foundation’s Team Inspire.

    

As you know, the 26.2 Foundation is a philanthropic non-profit 501(c)3 organization with community roots in Hopkinton, MA. Founded in 1996, the Foundation’s mission is to promote and support the sport of marathoning, as well as health, wellness and economic-development initiatives through strategic investments in innovative, multi-generational programs. We understand that there is more to a marathon than running 26.2 Miles and our initiatives can be found from Hopkinton, Massachusetts to Marathon, Greece.

 

We are honored that you have been moved to join our mission to honor, celebrate and inspire the power of the human spirit through the sport of the marathon.

 


Up next... St. Jude Marathon to finish out my 2023 year of races.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...