Monday, March 18, 2024

Half Marathon #50 for me! Run the Rainbow for the Children's Hospital in Jackson, Ms

 


Saturday, March 16, 2024 I ran my 50th half marathon.  WOW!  never in a million years when I was younger would I have thought I would or even could run 50 half marathons!  I didn't even start running until I was 40.  And I started with short distances like 5Ks.... but soon my sweet friend, Serina Williamson had talked me into running a half marathon.  On November 27, 2010 (14 years ago), I ran my first half at Stennis Space center.  I finished in like 2 hours 3 minutes and Frank was under 2 hours!  I'll never forget that run.  I tried to stay up with Frank Barrett!  He was pretty fast back in the day.  I sure hate that he is unable to run.  DANG COVID! I sure miss seeing him at the races.  Anyway, after that race, I was hooked.  Serina and I ran several half marathons together.  Her whole family always did the races together, which I thought was so COOL! 💗

So fast forward 14 years and finally on March 16, 2024, I ran my 50th half marathon.  At the beginning of the year, I had planned for St. Jude in Memphis in December to be my 50th.... but you know how peer pressure is.... my good old friends, the PPRF group! talked me into a couple half marathons in the beginning of the year.  And I decided why not... especially since I'm training for Boston.  Might as well, get some good training runs in by doing some half marathons.  AND I knew this one would be HILLY, which would be even better for my Boston training.  💛  

The race did not disappoint in hills! Lots and Lots of hills.  You'd finish one and then look up and there was another.  There was only one small section of like 1 1/2 miles that was flat! I felt really good!  So much better than 2 weeks prior at the half on the beach where I felt like crap and had stomach issues.  I was full of energy and my body felt really good.  I was surprised with the hills as the miles clicked off on my watch and my pace was staying between 9:30 - 10:15.  I was super pumped.  From our group only me and Wanda were doing the half and the others were doing the full.  Wanda is serious about her running so it wasn't a social race.  We didn't talk.  Maybe that's why I ran faster. 😂  I stayed focused on running. 😀  The only downfall of the race is I only found 1 porta potty at mile 7.5! Just one! and there was a line, but I had to go so I lost several minutes stopping there.  The volunteers were great! The road signs were awesome because there were many turns in the race, but I never felt lost.  They did a good job with all of that stuff... just need more bathroom stops.  Penny told me she saw 3-4 on the full course.  I'm glad they had more than 1 like we did!  Overall it was a really good race.  Lots of food afterwards.  They never ran out!  Even had more hot pizza delivered for the late marathoners.  💓 The rain went away Friday night and it stayed cloudy during our run so the weather turned out pretty good for us.  The sun did not come out until we were on our way home. 🙌 Our hotel gave is a late check out so all of us were able to shower before driving home. 💓  AND the race was for a great cause.. THE CHILDREN! 💗  We could not hear awards.  She had no mic.  We were right at the finish line where the timing guy was announcing stuff, people were ringing cowbells for people still coming in to finish.  Everyone was standing around saying.. "what did she say"...  I knew I wasn't getting an award, but Wanda got Sr Grand Master in the half and all the others places in the full marathon .. whoop.. Whoop...   I did finish 5th in my age group, which I consider pretty decent for a challenging run with LOTs of HILLS.  plus a bathroom stop. 😀

Here are a few pics:  

Friends bringing each other in to the finish line! I LOVE this group! 

Hey Rod! I'm coming in to the finish. 


My friends.. Felicia, Michelle, Candy


My medal


Penny & Felicia before they left hotel to go to start line.. the full started at 6:30 and the half at 7:30... crazy.. one hour difference! 



Finish line pics with Nestor & Lillian


Me and Wanda with our half medal


Wanda was prepared for St. Paddy's day! 💗


Half marathon elevation chart! Up down..up down.. ha

Awesome cup Virginia gave us after the race.. I love how the hearts are see through.. so neat! 


Can't believe I'm one month out from BOSTON! 😍  Praying for continued strength, endurance and safe training leading me to that start and finish line in Boston. 🙏💗



No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...