Monday, April 8, 2024

Hattiesburg Half Marathon 4-6-24 (half marathon #51)


 10 days out from my Boston marathon and we had a local half marathon. 😁  On my training schedule my long run called for a TAPER run of 8-10 miles.  But I decided since the marathon was 10 days out and I could run with my friends in my hometown at a great half marathon ... why not just do the 13.1 miles. 😉  


The Hattiesburg half is always fun.  They have around 1,500 people participate and they always have a great after race party in the park.  We did laugh that morning when we all met up at the race because we run so many of the same streets every weekend on our long runs, but this weekend we were PAYING to do it. 😂 

Race Start.. Let's go Girls!

It was a cool 48 degrees to start, but warmed up to 60 pretty fast.  My plan was to run real easy stopping at all water stops.  I didn't take my water belt with me.  However, once the start bell went off and we started running .... well, you know... me and Penny just started running in sync.  I think we both felt good and we tend to feed off each other. 😁😂  I noticed within a mile or two that we had left the others and it was just the two of us.  We chatted off and on and several times we both said we need to pull back... 😆😏  I mean we weren't pushing it hard, but we were running faster than we normally do our long runs.  The miles were clicking off from Sub 10 min miles to all within the 10 min average range.  It felt great.  Then at mile 7, I had to go to the bathroom.  I couldn't hold it any longer.  So I told Penny I was stopping.  She said she would slow down and let me catch up to her.  Well, that never happen. 😂  Once I got out of the bathroom I could barely see her pony tail in the distance.  I tried for a mile or two running a 9 min pace trying to catch her, but didn't.  One time I thought I was about to, but I needed water so I had to stop at a water stop and take an energy gel and drink some water.  She had her water bottle with her so she did not have to stop at any water stations.  I'm so proud of her!  She ran well!   We finished within like 2 minutes of each other.  She finished in 2:13 and I finished in 2:15.  I couldn't believe it was that close because the distance felt longer between us. 😃 and even though I'm not super fast, I just had to look at the 50-59 age group to see where I placed and it was 14th! I tell you the women in my age group get faster with age! the winner of my age group ran a 7 min pace!  Wholly smokes! 

After race photo

My niece Brooklyn ran the 10K and got 1st place in her age group! 

Yummy Pizza we had to stand in line and wait forever for! 

Chilling after the race in the sun.. it felt good because the breeze was still chilly. 

My forever running partner! She sharpens me, encourages me, cheers for me, and will sit and cry with me.  She'll also talk you into a million races.  She LOVES to travel. 😍

All the other PPRF women in our group ran well too! Virginia did the 10K and we all did the half marathon.  We all relaxed afterwards on the grass at the park except for Candy and Janis who had to get to grandkids ballgames.  It was a beautiful Saturday morning and I'm so glad to get that last long run done!  Now to really taper and rest this week before I head to Boston on Thursday.  😍  Or try to rest... depends on how work goes Monday - Wednesday this week! 😏

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...