Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Countdown to the Boston Marathon 2024 (marathon #35)


 3 days away from Boston 5K with mom and 5 days away from Boston Marathon for me...  

As I sit here just days before the widely known Boston Marathon, I'm happy, nervous, excited, thankful, and deeply touched by so many.  This is an opportunity that I never thought would come true for me.  Boston is the only marathon that you must either qualify or run for a charity group unless you are lucky enough to work for a company that is one of the big sponsors of the race, or be someone famous that is asked to run.  Yep, Celebrities get asked to run too. 😁  There is no lottery like there is for other majors like New York, Chicago, London & Berlin.  People work for years to get into the Boston Marathon by running a qualifying time.  I was kind of hesitate to even announce on social media that I had been given the opportunity to run Boston.  Not because of the charity I was asked to run for, because I think the 26.2 Foundation is an AMAZING Foundation and I'm so happy to be supporting them.  I was nervous to tell people other than my closest running friends because I've had it said to me before in these words, "I'd never run Boston if I didn't qualify to run."  That saying played over in my head many times in the beginning.  I wondered how people would treat me or what they would say.... But let me tell you something...  I've been truly humbled by other runners who have qualified to run Boston and have told me they are so very happy for me and they have also donated and supported me this whole time.  Several have sent me sweet text messages giving me tips about the course, where to stay, what to do in Boston and encouraging me along the way.  One even told me in these words, "you lace up your shoes the same way those that qualify do and you will still run the whole 26.2 miles just like they do".   It really hit me that there will be those that support you and those that don't.   My journey is not there journey and their journey is not mine.  We all have our own journeys.  That's what so amazing about life.  We are all different.   Have different opinions and yet we can choose to love and support each other.  You can't worry about those that feel Boston is only for those that time qualify.  Boston is so much more than that. 😍  Boston is rich in history.   The first woman ran there.  The men tried to kick her out, but she didn't let them.  Most people don't even realize the amount of money that is raised each year through the charities of the B.A.A.  There are so many wonderful organizations that support some amazing things like the Boston's Children's hospital, St. Jude, wounded veterans, and many, many more wonderful organizations that I could list.  As a matter of fact the last wave of the marathon which consists of around 9,000 runners are mostly charity runners.  How amazing is that! 😍  I feel so blessed to be one of them.  

I had tried for a couple of years to get in with St. Jude because for the last 11 years I've ran for St. Jude in Memphis, but was I unable to get in.  There are always tons of applicants and very, very few bibs to hand out.  So when Kim & Susan from Boston offered me the opportunity to run for the 26.2 Foundation, I was blown away.  One of the ladies that did one of my interviews had worked for St. Jude in the past.  I truly believe my connection as a St. Jude hero the last 11 years and talking to her is what opened the door for me to get selected to run.  It's very hard to get selected to a charity.  Most runners can promise that they'll raise $20,000 + and they are often given first chance at a bib due to the money they can raise for the charity.   And like I said, tons of people apply every year to run for a charity just to get into Boston.  There are interviews and essays to write expressing why you should be chosen.  So I'll never forget the day Kim offered me a spot.  I was in New Orleans with my husband for his college fraternity reunion when I got the email offering me a spot.  I was thrilled. There was like a 24 hour deadline to accept before they would offer the spot to someone else.  I didn't have to even think about it.  It was a quick "YES".  Then it hit me that I had to raise $10,000.  That's the minimum amount you must raise.  I was like this is going to be HARD.  I've raised over $5,000 in a year for St. Jude, but never $10,000 on my own.  My run team had many times raised well over $10,000, but that was a joint effort with several of us working together.  This time it would all be on me.  I was nervous, but deep down I had this feeling it would work out and I placed my faith in the Lord.  The Lord blessed me with so many good friends that donated.  I was blown away by friends that would message me and tell me to let them know how to donate.  Several were even past Boston qualifiers.  Many were friends I run with each weekend.  Several were people I work with currently and in the past.  I truly have the best support group!  It all started coming together and the more excited I became.  And bam... I made my goal of $10,000. 😍  I will forever be grateful to all those that donated and believed in me.  Words can not describe my gratitude.  I truly believe God led each and every one of these people to help me meet my goal. 💗🙏


The training or maybe I should say "the hay is in the barn".  I'm a tad nervous because I know some people will be tracking me and I don't want to let them down.   However, I've had some tell me that have qualified before and ran Boston that once they got to Boston it was more about enjoying the 26.2 miles rather than pushing hard for a PR.  My goal is to get to that start line in a few days and let God guide by legs to that finish line.... no time goal.. Just FINISH. 😎  I will think of each of you that donated to the 26.2 Foundation as I run each mile.  Heck.... that's $381 dollars per mile for the $10,000.  Team inspire has raised over $200,000 dollars so far for the 26.2 Foundation. 😍  Please check out the website for the 26.2 Foundation:

26.2 Foundation

I ask that each of you whisper a prayer for me for strength, endurance and also safe traveling mercies for me any my mom.  I pray that all I do and say will be becoming to my Jesus.  May I run with grace. 💙💛  Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity! 🙏  and I'm super pumped about doing the 5K on Saturday with my mom!  What a blessing to be able to do this together. 💗  Neither of us have ever been to Boston so of course there will be lots of sightseeing. 😍  I feel so blessed to be able to take my mom with me on this trip.  🙏 And just 8 years ago back in 2016, one of my nieces went on a school trip to Boston.  I turned 50 that year.  She brought me back this hat and said maybe one day Aunt D, you'll run Boston.  I remember laughing and saying in my dreams....   Well my DREAM is here! 💓  You'll be seeing me soon in a picture with this hat on. 💓




Once I cross that finish line it will be my 5th star in the World Major Marathons (New York, Chicago, Berlin, London, done so far).  One more to go... Tokyo, which I hope to conquer in 2025 if the Lord is willing. 🙏...   time to travel.. Boston here I come. 💙💛



No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...