Monday, September 23, 2024

South Jones Class of 1984 - My 40 year class reunion! 9-21-24




 How can it be 40 years???!! 40 years since we walked down those halls at South Jones with barely a care in the world.  We longed to get those diplomas and get out of high school as fast as we could.  We were ready to be adults and get on our own doing what we wanted .. when we wanted.... 😄  Little did we know that was NOT what was about to happen.  Yes, some of us may have done what we wanted and when we wanted... but I doubt it... or if they tried.. that didn't last long.. 😃  Being an adult is HARD.  As one of my classmates and I have said to each other over the years... NO ONE told us it would be this HARD.   We didn't realize how hard it would be to raise kids, go through a divorce, and lose love ones or be married to someone that loses both of their children.   Life is HARD as an adult.  We thought the adults had it made and we couldn't wait to get out from under our parents and graduate high school.  😆  MAN ... if we could just go back for a little while where we didn't have a care in the world! 

BUT We CAN'T.   Life moves on and it's rather FAST!  It does not feel like it's been 40 years.   Some of my classmates I have kind of kept up with over the years.  We either had kids close in age or we lived relatively close to each other and some we'd run into each other maybe in Walmart every blue moon.   However, that was only like a handful of classmates.  Most classmates I have not seen since high school.  You don't realize that when you are in high school that as soon as you graduate most of those people you will never see again.  It all depends on your life journey.   

I loved hearing several of my classmates journeys at the reunion.  Some took career paths that you didn't foresee, some had been married a few times, some were totally gray headed, some had no hair, some were almost the same, some had lost a child or a spouse and some were nothing like you'd expect.   We all have a different journey in life.  Heck, you could ask any of my classmates if I would be a runner and they'd all say no.  One even told the story a few times at the party about how he saw me swimming and he told the swim coach to get me out because I was going to drown. 😂  His kids grew up swimming and he was always at the pool.  I didn't swim until I was in my late 40s .. and it was NOT pretty.  I had to learn the proper way.  My classmate would have never thought I'd swim 2.4 miles and complete an ironman race after those first few times he saw me swim.  😁  and this classmate is also now a big PELOTON bike rider! Who would have thought??!!  not me! 😁 Looking forward to our next ride, Ronald Eason.   Another classmate said she'd like to run, but couldn't.  Said she never got that runner high.. 😂  She said people make it look easy and fun.. 😂  I assured her it's NOT all FUN! It's HARD.  yes, we do have some fun, but truly it's WORK to be a marathoner.  There was no one at the reunion that I could talk running with.....  I have to remind myself that only like .01% of people in this world run a marathon.  💜

You never know what road you may end up on in life.  I will say that out of the ones that showed up for our reunion (we had like 30 out of 159), what had not changed was their kindness.  Everyone greeted each other with a smile and a hug.  There were no judging looks or feelings.  Too bad high school ain't that way! We all LOVED on each other.  It was really awesome being there.  I'm glad I went.  and I look forward to a 50th!  let's just get a band that will actually play 80s music!! 😁

Here are a few pics from the night.  We were very lucky to have our reunion at George and Joe's restaurant / bar.. 320 Front Street.

me and Stoney's wife, Rhonda.  Our girls grew up together in cheer and gym competitions.  LOVE HER> 

Trying to get a group pic... 

Some of the girls.. Sherrye, Me, Marlana, Michelle, Tammy & Pam

Two bits, Six Bits.... all for the BRAVES stand up and holler!  us crazy cheerleaders.. 




Marlana, Joe, me and Sherrye

me and Cassandra

me and Joe

Ronald and me

Marlana, Sherrye & Shannon... Sherrye looking at our pics.. making us redo them.. ha


Stoney, me and Al

Sherrye, Stoney, me, Marlana, Al and Terri

Marlana, me, Shannon, Carol and Sherrye

me and Pam


me and Terri

me and the Bradshaws.. Melinda and Joey 

some of the decorations... Shannon did a good job with pictures! 


We missed Patty!

The band Zita from New Orleans that came and played for us.   They were EXTREMELY loud.. the young kids would have loved them.. hee hee  We were disappointed they only played like 3 songs from the 80s! 





Stoney still had his state baseball champ ring! We were good in baseball back then! 


me, Sherry, Shannon and Carol... Moselle girls! Friends since kindergarten!


And that's a wrap!  Great night.. great people~ 
💕

No comments:

Post a Comment

South Jones Class of 1984 - My 40 year class reunion! 9-21-24

  How can it be 40 years???!! 40 years since we walked down those halls at South Jones with barely a care in the world.  We longed to get th...