Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Double Bridge 15K - Pensacola, Florida 2-13-16

Better late than never.  I'm falling behind on my post.  I wanted to keep up with all my races this year by creating a post that I could easily look back to and it's not going as smoothly as I had hoped.  By the time I get home at night the one thing I don't want to do is sit at the computer AGAIN.  Yes, during commercials or when i'm lounging on couch I scroll through FaceBook cause I'm a FB junkie, but that's different than actually typing something up.  So here goes... Just a week late. LOL


The Double Bridge 15K is one of my favorite races.  It's not necessarily the road race that I love because it has 2 big bridges to cross but it's the time with friends that I cherish most.  This year 4 of us girls were going to share a room to split cost.  Some on the team are very frugal .. I'll call no names :<>)  However, due to different work schedules I was not riding with them.  I rode with another friend / teammate and her husband who is also on our team.  Kathy and I meet at 5:45am first for our normal Friday morning swim before heading out to Florida. We had a lovely ride.  We stopped in Mobile and ate a Felix's Fish House.  Kathy had the tuna and if I ever go back that is what I'll have.  It was excellent!  Better than a Steak in my opinion.  

We decided to stop by the race expo on our way to the hotel. I'm glad we did because we didn't get back out that way that evening (going back across toll bridge).  There was a booth at the expo that was giving out B12 shots.  I've never seen that before.  We questioned the lady about it and decided it was safe to get one so we all bared our arms and got a shot. They were only $10.  I've gotten them before at my doctor's office and they cost $20. Kathy had never gotten one and wondered if it would make her feel good the next day.  We were skeptical, but I must say that the next day me and Kathy rocked that run.  Maybe it was a luck but we felt great.  

I picked up several race bags for others that were either going to be later that night arriving in Florida or not able to come to the race.  I had me a hand full.  

When we arrived at the hotel, I texted Philip & Kim to see where they were at.  I figured they were sitting out on the beach, but wanted to make sure because even though it was a beautiful sunny day the wind was very cool.  Sure enough they were at the beach so we headed out to meet them.  It was so nice.  Some people were even brave enough to have on shorts and walk into the water but not me.  I had on my pants and a long sleeve.  :<>) 
I love this crazy group!


 We ended up staying out on the beach and then making our way to the hot tub up at the pool to soak our feet once the sun went down.  Boy that hot tub felt great!  I hope to get me one at my house soon. One of my friends that recently moved to the beach was there at hotel and took pictures of us on the beach.  She thought we were crazy for being out in the cold wind.  Her and her husband did come down to the hot tub to talk to us for a few minutes before we went to eat.  It was very nice seeing them. I missing getting to see them around town.  But I know they are really loving living at the beach.  Maybe when I retire I can move too!  The ocean waves are so relaxing.  



Now it's bed time and I'm wondering in my mind how us 4 girls will sleep and get ready in the morning.  You know girls travel with a lot of stuff.  Hee Hee   I'm happy to say we had a great time and there were no issues getting ready or sleeping.  I was a little worried that some might stay up all night chatting and I would get no sleep before the race but that didn't happen.  Most of us have grown into our "older" bodies where we prefer going to bed early these days. :<>)



Race morning was CHILLY!  It normally is every year so I was glad I was prepared and wore my long pants and had my arm warmers on.  A couple of us stayed in the girls bathroom where it was warm for a good 30 minutes and then someone had the bright idea (yep! me!) to walk out and find our friends so we could all be together.  Boy that was a mistake.  It was COLD! They were all gathered in a wad trying to stay warm. Some were even shivering.  That's always worried me before a race because they say you use a lot of body energy to try to warm up when you should be saving that energy for the race.  I took a cute snap shot of us waiting and even got Robbie in it (she's my friend that lives at the beach now).  


They finally called for us to line up and off we were.  Kathy was on fire! She had the eye of the tiger on her face.  We hung with Philip, Kim & Amie for a period of time which was good cause they run a pretty fast pace.  But then Kathy's shoe came untied.  She was furious.  I told her I'd stop with her so she could tie it so she finally stopped.  I watched and our friends ran on off.  However, they were not gone for long.  We caught back up behind them a couple feet for a good period of time and then I had to walk at the water stop right before the bridge.  I needed water.  My water bottle was almost empty and I knew I needed water to get up that bridge.  So we lost our friends again.. boooo.  When Kathy and I started up the bridge all I could think was DO NOT STOP.  The last bridge has a really tall hill on it.  Several people were walking mid way up the bridge.  But not us.  Kathy and I were on fire. We encouraged each other to keep going.  When we got to the top we looked at each other and gave each other a high five. Team work! That's what gets you through the tough times.  
We actually did this when we reached the top of the bridge :>) 
After the race I grabbed a quick picture with my friend Krista who did her first 15K! I'm so proud of her.  
Me and Krista


She's working hard and aiming for her first full marathon in December.  I'm loving watching her journey. 
Jenn & Krista
Jenn and Krista work together so Krista talked Jenn into coming to DBR.  She did the 5K. I'm so proud of her also! Trying to talk her into a half.


DBR Visor and Medal for the 15K


After we all took a couple of pictures we didn't hang around the finish line very long.  It was very windy and cold.  Especially when you are drenched in sweat.  We all headed back to our rooms to shower so we could meet up for lunch together.  We had a lovely lunch at Flounder's and then headed back to the beach.  It was much cooler than the day before so we ended up sitting at the fire pit around the pool for hours and hours.  It was one of the most relaxing afternoons/nights I've had in a long time.  I laughed so hard that my stomach hurt.  We ordered pizza that evening and 
sat right there and ate.  It was FABULOUS.  That's why I love this race!  It's the time we spend together just hanging out.  Most races you are in a hurry to drive back home, but when it comes to the beach we love to stay an extra night even if it's too cold to lay out in our bathing suits. 

Loving it even in the cold... blankets and all.
They took several selfies trying to get the perfect picture.  I have some crazy friends.

And that does it for DBR recap.  Now I better get to work on my Duathlon recap because it was the very next weekend.  Got several races in a row coming up.  It's race season! Oh and Thanks KByrd for the new PR! Whoop Whoop! 

I can't tell you it will be easy, but I promise it will be worth it.  GO RUN
D





  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Boston Marathon 2024 (Part 2 - The Marathon)

  Once again I say, I just can't thank you enough to Susan Hurley, Founder and Owner of Charity Teams and Kim Chisholm, Executive Direct...