Monday, February 29, 2016

R&R NOLA – Half Marathon #20



Another one in the books.  My first half marathon was back in November of 2010 and this weekend I completed my 20th half marathon.  I would say that I averaged around 4 a year, but that would not be true cause I ran 0 half marathons in 2015.  I had to look back to make sure it really was #20 and it is.  I did my first in 2010, 2 in 2011, 4 in 2012, 5 in 2013, 5 in 2014, NONE is 2015, and I’ve already done 3 in 2016 (and it’s only February).   I’m really half-crazy this year! or maybe it's HALF FANATICS :<>)


So how do I feel when I look back at my times from previous years??? Well, it’s no lie that I wanted to PR this weekend but it just wasn’t in the books.  I had hoped to break 2 hours.  Maybe if the bathroom hadn’t hit me at mile 9.5 I would had broken 2 hours.  However, you can’t make excuses.  You either did or didn’t.  LOL  I’m happy with my time.  Actually I told my friend that I really didn’t enjoy the race.  I couldn’t even tell you the streets we ran on.  My eyes were focused on the ground the entire time.  New Orleans is famous for their “pothole streets”.   With my one foot that tends to drag the longer I run, I really have to watch where I’m running.  Since I was trying to push hard and break 2 hours there was no site seeing for me.  Looking back I wish I had just enjoyed the race more.  I didn’t stop and take any pictures along the course.  I didn’t stop at any of the fun booths giving out stuff like King Cake & donuts. ……. I just ran. 

This past year I’ve enjoyed the races so much more by just having fun.  Or maybe it’s because the past year I did only full marathons and for me to complete them, I run an easier pace and enjoy the race.  It’s good to stop and savory the moments sometimes.  Yes, I’m super proud of friends who run hard with a purpose like qualifying for Boston.  And I’m very happy for my buddy Kathy Byrd that got her a PR at the race.  I tried really hard to push her and hate that I hate to leave it up to her the last 3 miles.  But it was either stop and walk or push and finish the race with poo in my pants (runners understand this).  As for me, I’ve never been super-fast even when I started running 10 years ago at the age of 40, so I certainly don’t think at almost 50 I’m going to be super-fast now. LOL  There is a limit to what my body can do.  Right now my main focus is endurance.  This ironman race coming up in September is going to take all the endurance I can mustard up.   I am excited about my next half in April.  I’ll be with a team and we will run pushing a special needs child.  I am honored to get to do this and can’t wait till April 2!

Kathy and I
The race weather was beautiful.  It got warm fast while running but overall the weather was perfect in New Orleans.  I hate I didn’t get to see more of the town.  My husband had to work Saturday morning so we didn’t end up leaving till later than I had planned.  By the time I went to the race expo to pick up my bib, it was late in the day.   We only walked around a little before settling down and eating some oysters and then we were back in our room by 6pm.  We watched a movie and just laid around.  I will say that was relaxing because I wasn’t at home worried about what needed to be cleaned next.  Sunday was race morning so while I ran, my husband got to walk around and enjoy the city.  When I finished and made it back to the hotel it was time for a quick shower so we could make checkout time.  The town was so very busy with people that my husband wanted to get out as soon as possible.  Plus he’d got to walk around that morning while I was running so we headed on back home.   Hence the reason I say it was a flying trip and I really didn’t get to enjoy New Orleans.  LOL



I may not run any more this week.  Got an ultra coming up Saturday.  Yes, you read that right. “ULTRA”.  Several of us will be at the MS50 trail run doing the 50K on Saturday morning.  That’s 31 miles so it’s slightly over the 26.2 marathon and called an "ultra".  I’ll need fresh legs. :<>) 

So how’s your training going?  Remember… BE YOU! D


No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...