Saturday, March 19, 2016

Saturday - Azalea 10K Run Fun - Mobile, AL 3-19-16




and YES the Azalea's were in bloom this year. :>) 

Today turned out to be a beautiful morning!  Meet up with several teammates and friends before the race for a quick picture at the Malaga fountain.  Been our tradition for several years now! I've seen this fountain frozen in the past when it was so very cold on race morning.  Today was around 69 degrees when we started.  It had sprinkled off and on during our drive to Mobile, but right before the race started the sun came out! 
Love this group even though Mr. D almost pulled me backwards into the fountain. Ha!

Grabbed a picture with my SIL also.  She's just now getting back into running and I wanted to run with her.  She kept saying... "Don't stay with me".  I just ignored her.  
Devon & me at the fountain before the race!

Daniel trying to get in our picture...he's such a funny guy!


We all headed down to the start line and grabbed a few pictures.  I have so much fun with this crazy group! 


Check out the photo bombers.... LOVE.... Everyone was happy and ready to run.  

As soon as we started, Devon started up again telling me to go on.  She did this all during the race.  I kept telling her that I didn't want to run on.  I wanted to run with her.  She kept saying I know you are faster and I'm holding you back.  I really wish she had quit focusing on that and just enjoyed the race more.  Which I think she did enjoy it, but she sure kept telling me to go on. LOL  Maybe deep down she wanted to do it on her on.  I'm not sure cause she thanked me after wards for staying with her.  

I don't think she understands how I feel exactly.  I LOVE helping new runners accomplish something.  I get so much more joy out of that then trying to bust my butt and run hard.  Yes, I'm sure there will be races in my future where I try to maintain a certain pace, however as I've aged I've realized there is so much more joy in helping others.  Yes, a couple years ago I would have ran on and left her only been focused on maybe placing in my age group, but I've seen so much happen to friends I love with them losing family members, etc. that it's made me realize life is SHORT! So make those memories.  Enjoy those moments and stop stressing. :>) 

Finished 1:09!
Devon wanted to finish under or around 1:30 today. I knew we would be faster than that when we started, but didn't want to focus on that so I let her lead and when she needed to walk, we walked.  We finished in 1:09! Way under her 1:30 goal!  I'm so proud of her!  We even got to visit some while running and I really enjoyed that part of the race.  We are both so busy that we don't see each other except for family events and there we don't have much time to talk just the two of us.  Too many kids and siblings around to talk one on one.  Heck in my big family I'm lucky to get 5 minutes with each of my siblings when we all together at moms.

Ran into an old friend (not saying she's old... just old running buddy) who moved away. I never get to run with her anymore.  Sure was nice to see her and boy she was glad to see Frank.  The three of us were together again. 







Great to see Robbie!









Ah me, Robbie & Frank - Ran my 1st marathon with these 2!


And of course it wouldn't be a race without getting a picture with the PROFESSOR :>)  


and I've got to say how proud I am of Krista!!! She's been working so hard and she's come so far! She is a daily inspiration to me.  Not only because of her determination, but she keeps me grounded.  She is one of those friends that knows when you need a hug, a prayer, or just a smile.  I see God each time I see her smile.  She radiates his love to everyone.  I'm so thankful to call her a friend! She beat her time from last year today!  
She's been running with Frank early in the mornings when I'm swimming and it's paying off.  She's gotten so strong!  I'm sure Frank has something to do with that also.  He too likes to help people! 

The Clarks, Hyatts, and Frank 
This is a wild group. :>)  You can find them running around 4:30am together most mornings.  OH and I'm also super proud of Daniel.  He's the one with the beard in the picture.  Last year he got hurt during the race and wasn't able to finish.  I remember standing at the finish line with his wife Krista watching the gator drive him up.  I felt so bad for him!  This year he finished and did so in 1:27! Way to go Daniel!!!  

Hope you had a great day!  Remember Mark 9:23 "Anything is possible if a person believes!"  Looking forward to my long bike ride tomorrow.  Keep moving forward! Ironman 70.3 training...don't stop! Not to mention I've got to build up my endurance of being on that bike seat by May 7th! Century ride (100 miles) on the Natchez Trace! Can't wait! 

MUAH, D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Boston Marathon 2024 (Part 2 - The Marathon)

  Once again I say, I just can't thank you enough to Susan Hurley, Founder and Owner of Charity Teams and Kim Chisholm, Executive Direct...