Monday, March 21, 2016

There's a special closeness between running friends................

 

This girl right here may be wondering why on my Azalea race post that I didn't mention her.  Well........ I wanted to do a special post on her.  BTW she did awesome in the race!  She has been sitting out healing a shin splint and just started back running.  She ran faster than her goal on Saturday! She's ...................................B A C K!  :>)  and I'm so very proud of her!  Good job girl! 

Serina is my running BFF.  She is the one that ALWAYS has a smile for us and is NEVER in a bad mood!  She is the life of the party.  I did not know her growing up even though we are just 4 years apart and she went to West Jones.  OH and YES, we know the races where we will be in the same age group. ha   Some people may look at her and think there is no way she can run fast, swim like a fish, or ride a bike like no one else but they are SOOOOO wrong.  A person's body size doesn't tell the true story! or Maybe I should use the phrase that when you look at at person you don't see the real person.  It's what is inside that is real.  Serina is as REAL as they come! 

South Central 5K October 2010

Let me tell you how we meet.  I was talked into running my first ever 5K at the Day in the Park race in Laurel back in 2004.  Anyone that has ever ran that route knows it's a tough 5K.  I was the "newbie" and also a little competitive (Not sure why since I didn't play sports growing up).  Anyway, when the race started I knew what girls passed me or were ahead of me.  I had not seen Serina ahead of me.  However, when awards were called out they called her for 1st place.  I was shocked.   Then I was even more shocked when they did not call my name at all for any awards.  So after the awards were over, I saw Serina standing with a family that I soon realized were her parents and I went over and asked her the age group she was in.  We both realized that she had gotten my award.  She apologized and even said that she knew I had finished ahead of her because she wondered who the "new" girl was at the race.  See her and her family have been running for years!  They are one amazing family!  I'm blessed that they have taken me under their wing the last several years.  You can always find them at the races together.  It's a FAMILY thing! Some may run and some may walk, but they all together. :>) 

We started seeing each other more and more at local 5Ks.
Color run USM


We became friends instantly.  Soon she had me talked into running with her after work a couple days a week.  I had no idea what all she'd talk me into at the time! I thought we'd just do 5Ks, but soon I realized that her and her family have done most everything.  It wasn't long before she talked me into  a half marathon! 
Serina, Me & Renee - November 2010 - My 1st half marathon

Little did I know that with her came her family.  Her dad's name is Dennis so we call each other Mr. D and Ms D. :>)  He's such an encourager.  He walks most races these days but back in the day he could run a 7 minute mile!  I've had the honor of him walking with me at a local 5K after my neck surgery when I wasn't allowed to run yet.  
Mr & Ms D :>)  He's pointing to the finish line.
Don't worry.. Serina also walked with me at a race also! 
Serina telling me to hurry up.. hee hee

And wouldn't you know it... Next she talks me into doing a sprint TRI!
Me, Dennis, Mr. D, & Serina - Sunfish 2011

And then it's a Warrior Dash! Me, Robbie & Serina


Can you tell why we have a saying called.. "SERINA MADE ME DO IT!"

Love this man! W for Winners! 
I just love this family as you can tell from all the pictures.  I wanted to post this yesterday, but I had to come to work to get some pictures off my computer. 

Momma D telling me a story probably and Missy (Serina's sister) looking like she's thinking it's toooo hot. Hee hee  This was a local 5K down at the Amory. 

Oh and let's not forget she talked me into doing my first trail run also! MS50 20K
Me and Serina at MS50 - 20K run 

Warrior dash... she always makes me LAUGH!

and Now she's on the run team I started.  We raise money for St. Jude Children.  I guess there is one thing that I talked her into. :>)  

The Wargel family and me... LOVE THEM


I LOVE this girl!  As we get older and our lives change, sometimes we lose contact with high school BFFs and we find new BFFs.  Yes, I still have a couple high school friends where we don't see each other, but I know if I ever need something they are just a phone call away.  We will ALWAYS be BFFs.  


I just want to say that you mean the world to me, Serina! I know I can be moody from time to time, but you always give me a HUG and a Smile! I cherish our friendship so very much and I'm glad that GOD lead me to you through running! I'm excited that now we are going to doing Ironman together!  Oh and I talked her into it. HEE HEE  ... Guess we even now, huh?   It's pay back for all the things you talked me into over the years. 

MUAH! D



 Rarely ... are we in diff age groups.. but we do have running in common. 


 












1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I absolutely LOVE Serina's smile and who she is. She always makes me happy inside even when things aren't going the best. Love you, too, Serina!!

    ReplyDelete

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...