Saturday, April 9, 2016

Traditions TRI 4-9-16


Today was the first TRI of 2016 for me.  It was a sprint TRI which consist of a 1/3 mile swim, 17 mile bike and a 3.1 mile run.  This was a new TRI for me.  My first time doing it so I was unfamiliar with the area in which the race was to take place.  Earlier in the week my friend who was also doing the race told me that her sister lives like a mile from the race area and invited me to go down on Friday and stay with her at her sisters house.  This was great because I had just planned on going down on Saturday morning which meant driving at 4am to make it on time.  It worked out great.  We left Friday after work and headed to the coast.  We arrived at her sisters a little before 7pm.  She has a beautiful home.  Her daughter had a cheer competition in Florida so they were gone and I got the "Princess room" as Kathy called it.  We decided to go grab supper so we could get in the bed early.  When we walked outside, we quickly realized it was very COOL!  Kathy & I both just looked at each other and said .. "what the heck are we thinking?.... swim is going to be COLD in the morning."   I was in the bed by 10pm and it was so very comfy that I feel asleep pretty fast.

When I woke up around 4:30am my stomach was in knots.  I was questioning what the heck I was doing a race for when I could be home sleeping in.  I looked at the temperature and it was 46 degrees.  That made my stomach hurt even worse.  I told myself I was crazy.  I tossed and turned trying to go back to sleep since we didn't have to leave their house till around 6:15am for the TRI. There is no need for makeup or hair when you do a TRI! So it literally takes like 5 minutes to get ready.  I wished I had some coffee. But I heard no one else up.  I lay there getting more and more nervous.  I then opened my app called Jesus Calling to read the devotion for the day.  It was EXACTLY what I needed!


I was reminded to quit trying to "problem solve" what I was about to face and just turn my mind back to God.  He's got me ALL the time! :>)  I felt a peace come over me.  

Soon I heard Kathy up and it was time to go.  By the time we got our bikes set up we were freezing!  It was so cold.  The wind was blowing which made it worse.  We kept looking out at the lake and laughing saying we had to be crazy.  One guy who didn't have a wet suit was calling out in the transition area saying.. "I'd pay big bucks right now if someone had a wet suit to sell me".  He was literally freezing and laughing at himself.  
Kathy's husband snapped this picture of us waiting to start the swim.  By this time we had on our wet suits and were warm except for our feet.  My toes were froze!  

I was pointing back to that cold water .... laughing that we were about to get in it. 


Finally it was our turn to start.  We started together basically... 5 seconds apart.  Kathy had joked all morning saying she was going to try to keep up with me in the water.  I had just laughed at her.  See I can swim all day long in the pool with no problem, but I usually freak a little in open water.  I guess I'm a true girly girl cause I don't like the dark water, the mushy stuff you walk out on, seeing fish, or weeds that grow tall sometimes and your feet touch them.  All that stuff just freaks me out!  

But today when I hit the water I felt at peace.  Kathy and I were steady beside each other for a short distance and then I lost sight of her.  I almost turned around to look, but I figured she had gotten ahead of me.  See when you swim properly you have your head down in the water and you can't see.  I tried to count 5-7 strokes each time and then I'd come up to glance ahead to make sure I was still traveling in the right direction.  I never saw Kathy again.  When I saw the finish line up ahead I picked up speed and was so excited that I finished the swim with no panic attacks.  I never had to turn over on my back or stop to rest.  I was slow and steady, but kept going.  This is what I had wanted to do for months!  When I exited the water I saw a friend and knew that Kathy was not out yet.  So instead of running to transition to get my bike I took my time and walked.  When I passed her bike I said to myself... please God let her be ok.  I started getting my wet suit off and trying to dry my feet off to put my socks on so I could ride my bike next.  But the whole time I was glancing towards her bike waiting on her.  Finally I saw her coming it.  I was so relieved!  I pulled my bike over to her and she immediately told me to go on.  She said she was fine.  I was going to wait on her, but when I saw her face I knew that she was good to go.  Plus most days she can catch me and beat me on her bike.  She's very strong on the bike.  So off I went.  
Kathy's husband snapped this of me on the bike.

So thankful that Byron, Kathy's husband was there to support her and take a couple pictures of us!  
So Now I'm off on the bike and I soon realize everything that Kathy's dad had told us was so true!  He lives there and he is an avid biker.  He told us while we were waiting to start the swim that the bike was going to be HARD.  Coming from a man that bikes often and had bike the course route, I was concerned.  Let me just say that he was right on! It was one hill after another.  I had to stand up 3 times on the bike and push hard to get up the hill.  My quads were burning.  There was a girl that I've seen often at races that is a member of a TRI team.  They all were matching suits to the races.  I saw her getting her bike ready when I exited the transition area on my bike.  By mile 3 she was hot on my tail.  Soon she passed me, but then we hit another hill and I passed her.  I quickly got a look at her calf to get her age.  Yes, they write your age real big on the back of your right calf.  I was shocked she was only 37! It as then that I got a little tiger in my eye I guess you can say cause I was hanging with her neck and neck and I knew from past races how strong she was.  She would catch me on the downhill but then I'd pass her on the uphill every time.  By mile 10 she looked at me and said.. "you are strong on these hills.. good job".  Boy that made me smile coming from someone that was much younger than me.  I actually finished slightly before her coming in.  Whoop Whoop.  I was so very happy with my bike pace today on those tough hills.



I did see Kathy on the bike and she was not far behind me at all.  See... I told y'all she's strong.  It didn't take her long to get caught up.  

Now it was time for the run.  I was also very happy that I had no issues with my clip on pedals today. I quickly changed out of my bike shoes and into my run shoes.  My legs felt numb.  I started running and felt like I was barely moving.  I looked down at my watch and my pace was 9:10!  Boy I was shocked.  However, that didn't last too long cause we turned off the road into the woods.  I had no idea we were doing a trail run. LOL  And it wasn't just your normal trail.  It was sandy.  Like beach sand.  The sand was thick and I could barely run in it.  I was so glad when we got that half mile out of the way and was back on the road.  We continued out on the road about a mile to a turn around stop and then it was back down the road and back into the woods.  I saw Kathy again on the run and we gave each other a high 5.  :>)  I was so very glad to see that finish line.  My total time was under 2 hours!! I had hoped for just 2 hours because I knew this race was just "practice" really for me and Kathy.  We are building our base before Ironman in September.  So I could have pushed hard at some points during the race if I had been really trying for an awesome time.  I think that's what makes it even sweeter.  I didn't go full out and I still finished in under 2 hours.  :>)


This gives the full breakdown of my race day.  As you can tell my 1st transition from swim to bike was over 5 minutes!  I certainly could have shaved that down some in a "real" race, but I wanted to make sure Kathy was out of the water before I left out on the bike.  I'm just so happy with my 1:50 over all time!  OH and when I looked at the results they had me in the 50 age bracket.


 I've read where some races classify you in the age you will be during the year.  I won't be 50 till July but they had me in there.  I finished 6th place in my age group.  My cousin finished 3rd and she also qualified for the senior olympics!  I'm so happy for her!  She's been doing a lot of TRIs lately.  From Sprints to Half Ironmans and now she says she's going to do a full Ironman.   She's Pamela Jones on the list.

I love Kathy's finish picture! You can tell how happy she is here! LOVE HER!

When I started this journey of training for the ironman in September, I had no idea that Kathy would join me on this journey.  I was determined to do it alone but it's so much better with FRIENDS! She pushes me to do better.  I'm excited for what the future holds for us.


WE DID IT!

Now to prepare for our RAGNAR TRAIL RELAY next weekend!  We'll be camping in a tent and running with our team of 8 over a 24 hour period.  So be looking.... there will be a post after our adventure.  Can't wait to see how it all turns out and maybe... just maybe.. I'll get a couple hours sleep. :>)

Until then... Happy training... remember 1 hour of training is only 4% of our day.. NO EXCUSES>



Deleica ... 

Oh BTW the water was AWESOME.  We were freaked out over nothing. It felt great when we got in.. not  FREEZING like we thought.  Maybe it was because it was warmer than the air outside. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Boston Marathon 2024 (Part 2 - The Marathon)

  Once again I say, I just can't thank you enough to Susan Hurley, Founder and Owner of Charity Teams and Kim Chisholm, Executive Direct...