Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Why Fundraise?

I’m often asked this question.  I’m not an eloquent speaker or writer, but I’ll try my best to tell you why I’ve started fundraising.   Have you ever had the feeling your life would not be remembered after you were gone? I kind of had that feeling a couple years ago.  I imagined someone standing up to talk about me at my funeral and they didn’t have much to talk about.  I mean I could picture them saying she was a mother, wife, friend, etc.  But then what else would they say.  This really hit me hard for some reason.  Maybe I was in a dark place at the time.  Not sure…  but it lead me to sign up for the St. Jude marathon as a hero to raise money for St. Jude back in 2013.  It was the most humbling experience ever!  It was then that I realized it didn’t matter what was said at my funeral.  Sitting and listening to a mother talk about how each day she wondered if her child was going to live and die will break you.  I soon realized that life’s not about me.  Not that I didn't already know this... it just hit home a little harder.  It’s about helping others.  I never dreamed in a million years that I would even be able to raise money.  I’m not one for asking people for anything.  I’m very independent.  When my kids were small I usually ended up buying everything instead of asking other people to buy from their school or sports fundraisers.  And how could I not think about the one perfect person that had already set the example for us?

Jesus Christ Set The Perfect Example of Helping Others




So I’ve ran a ton of races where it was ALL about the BLING (oh and I do have some nice medals)…. But now I look for races that have charities attached.  I recently signed up to run the Marine Corps Marathon for the Fisher House Foundation.  This is an organization that helps military families.  Maybe you know of a family that has used a Fisher House.  I had not until this past weekend.  While sitting at church one of the ladies that always supports me came up to me and begin telling me how proud she was that I had signed up to raise money for Fisher House.  She said she had stayed at one before with her daughter.  She talked about how wonderful the organization was in helping military families.  I was so glad to hear this from someone that had personally benefited.  Now I’m even more pumped to raise some money. :>)  



I have a small goal of $600 and I hope some of my friends will help me out.  I challenge each of you to watch the video on my page and read up on the Fisher House Foundation.  So many military men and women are risking their lives for our freedom.  Shouldn’t we all want to help them?  Here is my link to my page:




And don’t worry…. I’ll still be raising money for St. Jude also.  I will continue to do the St. Jude race for the kids as long as the good Lord allows me to! I’ll give you a chance to make a donation for them in a couple months.  



I’m glad that I’m in this “season” of my life where I can run and raise money for such awesome organizations.  Help me accomplish my goal by helping others.  Look at it this way... a $10 donation is just 1 lunch missed in today's times and we all probably won't starve from missing one lunch. :>) 



~For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don't use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love.~
--Galatians 5:13



“We can’t help everyone but everyone can help someone”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boston Marathon 2024 (Part 2 - The Marathon)

  Once again I say, I just can't thank you enough to Susan Hurley, Founder and Owner of Charity Teams and Kim Chisholm, Executive Direct...