Monday, May 9, 2016

Natchez Trace Century Ride 2016


With your choice of distances from 25, 50, 62, and 100 miles with mild to moderate elevation, it was a great ride to find your stride and other specialties along the route.  I chose the 100 miler to “Get My Ride On”.  The glimmering waters around the Ross Barnett Reservoir were just spectacular!  There were also countryside stretches in Madison County and Pelahatchie that made you forget you were doing 100 miles.  It was an absolute beautiful day.  I could not have asked for more perfect weather.  The humidity was low and at 7am when we started it was cool enough for a light jacket, but by mid morning you were tossing that jacket.  
Waiting to Start
 
Girls took pic with my phone when I was gone to bathroom... found it today.. ha
I was a tad nervous about this ride.  The longest I had ridden was 65 miles and that was several months ago.  I had planned on a 75 miler before Saturday’s ride which didn’t happen because my training buddy fell and broke her foot that very weekend.  She was not going to be able to ride the 100 with me which put me alone (I thought).  I knew they’d be other bikers, but the rest of my friends riding were either doing the 25 or 62 mile loop.  So I was a tad nervous.  I really didn’t know what to expect.  I’m a runner not a biker so I’ve only done 1 bike ride in my life.  I knew I needed some good bike training miles for ironman, but didn’t know if this ride would give me that or not.  I had tried to talk Frank into moving from the 62 miles to the 100 with me and he kept asking me if I had looked at the elevation chart for the route.  I laughed each time and told him no.  I did however look at the chart the week of the ride and told him that I didn’t think it would be that bad and I was still going for the 100 miles.  I wanted a century ride under my belt and I was determined to get it. 

 I thought I heard one lady say they had like 600 registered.  However many it was… it looked like a ton that morning and we had to literally walk our bikes for probably ½ mile just to get started.  It was so crowded which made me nervous so I tried to hang back and not get in the wad.  Soon it started thinning out as the faster bikers went on ahead.  I could go on and on talking about how pretty the route was in which we traveled.  Yes, there were a few places that had uneven pavement that made you bounce a lot.  I even worried about getting a flat time a couple times but overall it was just perfect.  I was amazed that not one single dog came out and barked or chased us!  We past so many houses and each time I was steady looking for dogs.  In my neighborhood you have to be so careful.  We have dogs that love to chase and nip at your tires.  So I was beyond thrilled that NO dogs came out! :>) 

I will say there were some hills.  There was one really big one and I didn’t realize how steep it was until I was on it and then when I tried to find my little ring, my bike wouldn’t gear.  I was barely moving and all I could think about was that I was about to fall over so I un-clipped and got off the bike about ¾ the way up the hill and walked the rest of the way up.. along with a few other people.. hee hee    We had made friends with a guy that passed us and laughed and said that was him last year so he was prepared for it this year and got his gears ready.  From then on I think I rode the rest of the route on my little ring.  It was rolling hills and I got tired of going back and forth from big to little ring (I’m sure there is a more proper term…but hey.. I’m not a biker.. ha).  So YES I got some good training for ironman.  I was very happy that it did!   
Bike Route - 100 miles
       
The elevation and speeds
Me and Mel -- around half way
Around mile 50 Mel said she felt pretty good and she was going to attempt to go on the 100 miles with me.  She said it had always been on her bucket list to do 100.  I gladly told her to come on and we’d finish together.  She also said… “I want to be in the blog”.  :>)  So guess what, Mel? You made the BLOG.  She probably won’t mind me saying that the last 20-25 miles were tough for her.  At the next to the last stop (oh there were rest stops like every 15-16 miles), she told me that I couldn’t leave her because she didn’t feel very well.  I told her I would not leave her.  We finished together! I’m very proud of her.  She screams at us in spin all the time that we need to “suck it up”… well she had to listen to her own words on Saturday. :>)  I think I really liked that.. hee hee   Nay, all kidding aside, I was very happy to finish with her.  We DID it! 100 miles!  We crossed that finish line under time and we were not sagged! It was so nice having Frank and Sonya there waiting to make sure we got in ok! Thanks for the pictures you two!  
Coming in at the FINISH Line!

FINISH LINE!

 After grabbing some food, we headed back home.  It was a long day but so worth it! I’d love to do this ride again next year! 
My total "Bike" time and speeds. Oh and I burned like 4,000 calories!

We didn’t know it until after the race but one biker was hit by a car.  They were not hurt badly.  Another biker also wrecked and had to be taken to get stitches.  So I guess you can say we had a really good ride.  God was watching over us! No injuries for us! I will say that around lunch time on the traffic was HORRIBLE.  People flew by us going so fast!  That was the only part of the ride that I was really uncomfortable and nervous about (the roads not being shut down completely). 


I felt so good on Saturday.  If it had not been for my neck and shoulders hurting, I could have rode another 50 miles.  My legs were not even sore the next day.  Just my dang neck and shoulders.  I don’t know if that is normal after a long bike ride or if it has something to do with my neck issue.  Whatever it is… it hurts! But I got my 100 miles! YIPPIE.  Another bucket item marked off my list for 2016 the year I turn 50. :>) 
LOVE the bike JERSEY.. too bad my # was 100!

Our awesome MEDALS



I made a video of the ride.  It’s like 6 minutes long… but hey.. it was 100 miler! :>)  Here’s the YouTube link:  (don't judge the video.. I should have taken my head strap for my GoPro! Cause my chest strap made videos looking down especially if I leaned on my arm rest.. so ignore them flopping black ears also in the video..ha) click below:

I hope you are enjoying this nice spring weather! If not, get outside! Well, until next time..that’s a wrap!  D




No comments:

Post a Comment

Boston Marathon 2024 (Part 2 - The Marathon)

  Once again I say, I just can't thank you enough to Susan Hurley, Founder and Owner of Charity Teams and Kim Chisholm, Executive Direct...