Tuesday, May 31, 2016

4X4 Relay – It takes Two – Bay St. Louis - MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND

Me & Devon (my Sister-in-Law)
Well another race. This one was a 4X4 relay for a 2 person team. Which meant each person would run 4 miles.  My original partner was my friend that broke her foot. So here I am without a partner. Everyone else that I know that is running already has a partner. So I decide to ask my sister in law. She is reluctant but finally agrees.  She's still steadily telling me how slow she will be. I keep telling her I'm not concerned with time. It's just for fun.  She doesn't believe me and continues on. She even gives us names. She's the turtle and I'm the cheetah. Have no idea where she gets this from because there are tons more people faster than me! 

We ride to the beach with Frank, Krista, and Daniel.  Daniel and Krista are married. They are going to run as a team and Frank is meeting Sonja his partner there.  Our ride is kind of quiet. Even for Devon who normally talks constantly. Since she's kind of quiet I'm concerned she's dreading the run.   A real heavy rain hits when we are like 40 minutes out from reaching the race destination.  The lightening is bad and I'm beginning to wonder if we will even run. 


The rain stops completely like 30 minutes before race start and it barely looked like it rained. I'm glad the rain did come because it cooled things down. I was worried about a 5:30 pm Race.  It's been hot and humid this week!! Here’s a picture of us together with our partners before the race.  
Daniel, Krista, Frank, Sonya, Devon & Me

When we put on our bibs I notice mine has 116-1 meaning I was to run the 1st leg and Devon would run the 2nd leg. I was excited about this because I knew I could run and then rest (relax) while Devon ran. :>) They called us up to the start line to give instructions on how the relay would take place and then we were off.  When running alone it can be daunting and difficult.  But when you’re in a group it can be fun especially when some faster “big guys/gals” are ahead of you.  They do the work and you’re the follower.  Well, at least for a while.  They can be warm, exciting, entertaining, and even seductive.  You want to try to stay up with them as much as possible.  

Picture of Devon's bib (Iron Willed was name of our team)

My right knee had been bothering me all week so my plan was to try to just run solid.  No pushing it.  I’m happy to say that’s what I did.  I ran an easy 9:20 pace with no heavy breathing and felt good.  A time or two I would try to speed up and I’d feel that tightness / twinge in my knee and back off.  I was soon back in and gave Devon a high 5 for her to start.  It felt great seeing her run.  I told her.. “your pace.. your race”.  You don’t have to compare yourself to anyone else.  It’s your journey as one of my good friends always says.
Devon coming in to the FINISH line.

LOOK AT THAT SMILE! GO DEVON!


So everyone finished and was happy with their times.  When they started calling out awards they first gave out awards to the top 3 teams.  The teams could be either all female, all male, or mixed.  Then he said they were going to give an award to the top 15 teams.  I could hardly believe it when they call out mine and Devon’s names!  She wasn’t even standing there and didn’t hear it.  When I found her and told her she started jumping up and down.  You could see joy all on her face. 
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

 
Frank & Krista Finishing their leg of the relay. 

Krista and Devon being silly
Devon, Jennifer (one of the big gals I mentioned, and Me with our medals. BTW Jenn won 1st place in a TRI this same day! Two races in the same day! Yep..she's the BIG DOG :>) 

Our ride home was LOUD…. Yes LOUD.  Devon and Daniel both came out of their shells.  Come to find out BOTH of them love music so we had tons of loud music, singing and laughing on the way home.  It was a good day!  I think Devon needed a break from small kids and a chance to run again.  She even thanked me for making her go.  LOL  As for the rest of us, we enjoyed being off together and running as usual.  We missed our friend, Kathy very much and can’t wait until she’s able to run again! Me especially since this weekend I’m doing a TRI and she was supposed to be doing this one with me also.  Dang old broke foot!

“Your body is a reflection of your lifestyle”  from Gone For a Run 

  
Our RIDE - GREAT DAY


 I was going to finish this Monday on the holiday, but never got around to it so it's a day late for Medal Monday... but oh well.. ha ~Better late than never~




No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...