Monday, January 2, 2017

2017 Goals

Hard to believe today is January 2, 2017! As I sit here listening to the rain while taking a break from my Disney packing, I decided I needed to go ahead and jot something down for my goals.  Tomorrow after work I leave for Disney and It will be a busy couple of days, so I better get to it now or before I know it, I'll look up and it will be February! 


It seems that 2016 just flew by! I've been trying to find me a "word" and "mantra" for 2017.  You should read the blog post from Swim, Bike Mom on setting goals.  She has some very interesting points.  You can find her blog on my list of blogs I follow.  

So........I think I finally have my word.  I had been toying with it for several days and yesterday while having our family Christmas dinner, it just kept coming up in my head.  "STRENGTH"


... that's my word.  I chose it for a couple of different reasons. First I want to get stronger in 2017.  Then secondly I have strength in my FAMILY.  We are strong.  We love deeply.  And thirdly, I find strength in God.  So the word Strength just seems to fit.  I hope each morning that I don't want to get up and go for that swim or run that I'll remind myself of my word and my mantra:


I don't have a long list of goals.  Just a few that I really want to focus on in 2017.

1.  Continue the practice of waking up each morning and doing my short devotional before checking Facebook, emails or text that may have come thru on my cell after I went to bed. I started a habit a couple years ago of not taking my cell phone to my bedroom at night.  I leave it in the kitchen.  I have a setting on it where it is silent from 9pm - 6am.  Only calls from my immediate family will come thru during that time so I can be reached in emergencies.  I LOVE this feature on my cell phone.  It gives me downtime.  Before I set it up, I'd have my cell on my night stand and all during the night when the night owls posted on FB my cell would beep or friends would be texting and I'd want to roll over and check it to see what was happening.  Well, not anymore.  We all need rest.  Rest is important.  

2.  Run 1,000 miles.  I have accomplished this goal the past 2 years. Yay me.. that's an average of 2.7 miles a day if you run every day or 18.9 miles a week however you want to get it done. Maybe I should up to 1,200 ??? Nay.... I think I'll stay at 1,000 because I want to focus on my swim & bike too.

3.  Improve swim..  Stop just swimming lap after lap and take some days to do drills.  Drills will improve performance I'm told...so this is a MUST. :>) 

4.  Spend more time with family.  I'm adding this because one of my children moved out this year and I don't want to let it become a long distance relationship. Yes, I'm still adjusting..ha  I always picked and said I'd be oh so happy when they finally moved out, but it sure is different. 

5.  CORE WORK>>>> remember that word ... strength! I've really let this slide this past year. I've got to get back on the wagon.  My jelly roll on my stomach is getting bigger and the muscles I use to have are hanging flab now.  Time to kick it in gear.  

6.  See if there is a way for me to improve on going downhill on the bike faster.  I'm such a wennie... on monster hills, I hit my brake when coming down hill.  I want to be like my friend Kbyrd and just fly.  I always get scared and tap my brakes.  I could really improve my bike time if I could do this.  Let's keep our fingers crossed...  going be a hard one for me...


I hope each of you will take time to set some goals.  To me goals are important.  It's kind of like racing.  If I don't sign up for that race, I won't train for it.  That's what keeps me running.  So...I just keep signing up.  LOL  

We will all have bumps along the way...but remember.....


I can honestly say for me.... it takes dedication.  You must dig deep within yourself and find that place where you can say.... "I am, I can and I will".  

Here is one reason I am strong... MY MOM! She's one of the strongest women I know! and we have a lot of fun.  Headed back to Disney again tomorrow... I need to get back to packing!


This was back in 2015... can't wait to see what pictures we get this time around. :>)  

HAPPY GOAL SETTING FOR 2017... write them down...say them out loud to someone. They become real then.

Love, D


 








No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...