Thursday, December 29, 2016

2016 is basically in the books............ Time to focus on 2017

Wow! What a year!  Last Christmas I got this card from a fellow runner, who I've never meet in person.  We got to know each other on Facebook through a running group.  That's what I love about runners.  We are like FAMILY.   




 AND BOY DID I ENJOY THE JOURNEY. 

I can honestly stay this year has been a BIG one is many ways.  Maybe because I turned the BIG 50 in 2016, or maybe because I'm just plain crazy about doing races.  It was a jammed packed year of many new things

Usually around this time of year, people sit back and reflect on what they did or didn't do during the year and make new goals for the new year.  I've been working on my scrapbook for this year and just flipping through all the pictures from each race brings back so many memories.   You know there is a saying, "Stop Wishing. Start Doing.", well, I can honestly say I did just that this year.  

Several opportunities came about during the year which helped me accomplish so many bucket list items.  Here is just a brief list of things I did this year. And if my count is correct, I had almost 1,200 miles running, 1,500 miles biking and 94 miles swimming for 2016. 

Back to Back Challenge (two half marathons in the same weekend)
Push an ARC child in a race  (half marathon & 5 mile race)
Ragnar Trail (Atlanta)
100 Mile bike (Century) Ride
First Half Ironman 70.3
Marine Corps Marathon
3 marathons within 90 days (2 down ...1 more to go to complete in a few days)
Stay at an all-inclusive resort for my 50th

So much fun! Now there are some things I didn't accomplish also! I did not get this jelly off my stomach area! I didn't get my arms back toned like they use to be! I didn't exercise my core enough.  I started the year off pretty good working on all of those items, but as the months went by and my training schedule increased, I slacked off on those things.  I can tell a difference too! Core work is so important for runners.  It helps with your running.  My pace is a lot slower now than it was in the beginning of the year.  Maybe that's also due to the fact that I'm doing more jog/walking here lately than I use to.  My big toe joint is literally about to fall apart due to arthritis.  My sciatic is bothering me more lately.  Maybe due to age, maybe due to running, or maybe just plain old arthritis in general.  All I know is when I jog/walk rather than run full out, my body likes me more.  It's much easier to recover from 26.2 miles when using that approach.  So maybe in the future I'll just be slower... who knows... But I know one thing, it won't stop me.  Actually exercise helps me feel better.  And any doctor you talk to will recommend exercise for arthritis.  :>)


So true in so many ways!  However, it also reminds me of a few sayings that stick in my head.

1.  I can and I will
2.  If you wait for perfect conditions, you'll never go run.
3.  Don't just dream about it, TRAIN for it
4.  The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people can you CANNOT do.
5.  What we seek we shall find.
6.  Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.
7.  Believe & act as if it were impossible to fail.
8.  Avoiding failure is to avoid progress.
9.  There are 7 days in a week and SOMEDAY isn't one of them.
10.  "Finished Last" will always be better than "Did not Finish" which always trumps "Did not Start".

So what's on the agenda for 2017????  I have honestly been debating for a couple of weeks.  So unlike me!  Maybe due to the amount of money I spent in 2016 on races.  For the first time in a couple of years, I kept up with every dime I spent that had to do with my exercising.  Shoes, Travel, Race Registrations, Clothes, etc.  AND let me just say that It's a good thing I didn't have a small child in daycare or a teenager at my house or I would be BROKE> hee hee  So I'm thinking I may need to tone it down a tad bit this year. :<(  I do have a couple of things I want to do around my house and also the fact that we didn't get our normal work bonus there is no extra funds to play with for races.  When you add in all the travel cost for out of town races, it can really add up fast.  AND then there is also the one thing I've been putting off for 3 years now.  I need bladder surgery.  But to do it, I have to promise to give my doctor 4 weeks of no running.  Well, I've just been to busy to do that here lately.  However, it's becoming more of a MUST than an option so I'm going to have to do it in 2017.  

TRUE!!!!

I really wanted to do a couple of 70.3s next year, but not sure that's going to work.  I have debated and debated about registering for Augusta again.  I just LOVE that race.  However, I'd also like to try another one.  Augusta is a fairly easy swim being it's downstream, so I'd like to try another 70.3 to help improve my swimming.  If I don't make a decision within the next week or so, it will be sold out and I won't have to worry about thinking about it.  That's the problem with BIG races.  Registration opens like 9-10 months before the actual race date and sells out within a month. So you don't have time to debate.  Maybe since I've debated about it this long, it's just not meant to be next year.  Guess we'll see.  

So what have I registered for as of today? I started registering last week for a couple of smaller races like the quad burner series which I also LOVE.  They offered a big discount if you registered early so of course I got in.  Check them out:


I actually made a list and when I typed it all up, I am just AMAZED that I'm already signed up for basically 15 races.... well technically if you count Dopey as 4 races like it truly is then I'm registered for 18 total races already! WOW  I may only get in one 70.3 during 2017, but that will be OK.  I will take care of this bladder issue so I can really enjoy life again.  So here's my list as of today.  They say if you write down your goals or say them out loud to someone that you are more likely to actually do them.  Most of these are local that I can drive to.  Only like 3 are out of town and will require travel expenses. 


During 2016, I had a big poster in my office that I had ordered from ilovetorun.org where I marked off each day that I did some type of exercise.  It was a visual to remind me to do something.  I remember one day my boss walked in my office and asked what the heck it was.. ha It looks like I did pretty good during the year.  Only a few days are not marked. And we all need REST days! Don't forget that. :>) 


So whatever your goal or goals may be for 2017, go tell someone or write them down.  Make you a visual so you'll remember to do them.  It helps me.  Maybe it will help keep you focused.  I actually just had a new pair of running shoes delivered to my office, so I can't stop now.  Ready to try these babies out for Disney. 

Altra Paradigm 2

I'm sure hoping these help with my toe issue since they have a bigger toe box.  

Well, lunch hour is over. I may have to come back later and edit or add to this post.  But for now that's  wrap for 2016.  Oh wait... I only thought I had ran my last race of 2016 the other day! The Steam Whistle 15K is always on January 1st, but this year due to the 1st being on Sunday, I was just reminded that the race in Saturday the 31st.  So one more race for 2016 and then it's a wrap. :>)

May you have a HAPPY NEW YEAR! 
Much Love, D




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Boston Marathon 2024 (Part 2 - The Marathon)

  Once again I say, I just can't thank you enough to Susan Hurley, Founder and Owner of Charity Teams and Kim Chisholm, Executive Direct...