Monday, December 19, 2016

Soak up the Run - (Half Marathon #23)

Half marathon #6 for the year and the last one of 2017 to end the year!  Whoop Whoop



This year has just been crazy.  I think because of me turning 50, I was determined to do a lot of different type of races.  It's been a jammed packed year that's for sure! More on that topic later, but first I must share my experience of my last half marathon of 2017. 
Notice the name on my bib... 

This half marathon was not planned.  It came about through work.

Check out our shirts Sanderson gave us! 

  Around June Sanderson, the company I work for, offered to pay registration fees for any employee that wanted to run the race called "Soak up the Run".  It would be to benefit Blair E. Batson Children's Hospital.  So you know I couldn't turn that down.  I love doing things that help others.  My son has also been a patient at Blair so I know first hand what a wonderful job they do with kids.  So I signed up before I really thought about the date.  The date of the race would be the weekend directly after me running 26.2 miles at St. Jude.  Crazy me even debated doing another 26.2, but finally decided to do just the half.  I'm glad that I did because I got to share it with 2 of my dearest friends.  

Krista and Frank had both signed up to do the full 26.2 miles at St. Jude, but a couple months before the race decided to back down to the half.  Krista has a bone spur on her foot that was causing her horrible pain and Frank ended up having shoulder surgery.  

Krista's foot was in such bad shape by the day of Soak up the Run that she told us she would probably have to walk most of it.  I told her that didn't matter to me.  I walked to walk/jog with her and Frank.  It had been awhile since we had ran together, so I wanted to visit and just enjoy the race.  I will say it was hard at times with people passing us for me to not start running.  I guess that's just the competitive side to all of us. Hee Hee

It was a COLD morning!  The race was a straight shot basically.  We would run down highway 90 along the beach.  The full marathoners started 13 miles down the road from us half marathoners at the same time (7am).  It was so pretty looking out at the Mississippi gulf coast.  We do have pretty beaches even if our water isn't that pretty.  And they've really done a lot to improve the beach area.  Several brand new bathrooms along the beach.  Very nice buildings.  

We meet up with a couple other Sanderson runners and one of them drove us to the start line and dropped us off.  So glad she did that for us!  We didn't have to worry with catching the shuttle.  

Here's a picture we took when we got out at the start line.  

Krista, Conner, Lila, Anna, & Me


Krista, Frank and I started in the back since we were going to walk mostly.  We jogged/walked for a good bit until Krista's foot was hurting badly then walked mostly.  Here's a few pictures I grabbed of them along the route. 

Krista & Frank walking and talking to two other racers.

 You know... Frank NEVER meets a stranger. :>)

Group Selfie


Around mile 8-9, I could tell Krista was in a lot of pain.  I started praying hard.  I begged God to give me her pain.  I felt so bad for her.  But she was determined to finish.  She wanted it so badly.  Around mile 10-11 when the first marathoner passed us, it gave her another spark.

She's running again...determined to finish

 She started back jogging a little more than walking. and yes, you read that right.... the first marathoner! I told Krista and Frank when he passed to just look at him.  He didn't even seem to be struggling.  He was just running so peacefully.  He was going to finish 26.2 miles in around 3 hours! AMAZING.  We on the other hand were going to finish 13.1 in 3 hours. hee hee   Here's a few race photos. 










This guy walked most of the half and carried the flag. LOVE







We all finished.. TOGETHER.. just under 3 hours. 
We had a good time! We talked about races we love, races coming up, family, team, Christmas, and many other things to pass the time. I love these two! Praying for a speedy recovery! Krista had surgery on Tuesday after the race.  She's currently in a boot for 6 weeks.  And Frank is doing PT on his shoulder.

And then I saw another friend of mine that I rarely get to see.  She lives in another town.  We only get to see each other occasionally at races.  She's fighting a battle again with cancer.  She told me her medicine is causing her running to be slow.  I told her I'm just amazed that she's still running!  I had to grab a quick picture with her!


Well that's a wrap for 2017 basically.  It's been a busy year.  I'm still trying to determine what I want to do next year.  But first I've got to get Dopey done! It will be the first week of January.  I'm looking forward to a trip with my mom and doing 48.6 miles in 4 days.  

I hope all of you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  It's time again to focus on setting those goals.  Remember if you write them down or say them out loud to someone, you are more likely to complete them.  I've not even begun to set mine.  I need a little downtime to think. :>) 



Merry Christmas, D


“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6 (KJV)








  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Boston Marathon 2024 (Part 2 - The Marathon)

  Once again I say, I just can't thank you enough to Susan Hurley, Founder and Owner of Charity Teams and Kim Chisholm, Executive Direct...