Thursday, December 15, 2016

Hobble then Gobble


Each year the ARC host a run on Thanksgiving day.  The Arc of Southeast Mississippi (Arc) is a United Way non-profit organization devoted to providing community-based services to individuals with mental challenges and their families.

I LOVE this race! It's for a great cause and also let's you burn off some calories before you gobble.  This year I was asked if I would push an ARC child like I did back in April at the Rise & Shine half marathon.  Of course I said yes.  I didn't have a partner.  My friends who normally run the race were at Disney and my other friends had personal things going on so I told Terri to just pair me up with someone my pace for the 5 miler.  She told me not to worry that she already had someone in mind. 

Waiting on the race to start

Race morning I meet my sweet ARC child, Anna and my pushing partner.  I can't remember my pushing partner's name! I think it was Kelly, but maybe Kim. I hate when I can't remember stuff! I only meet her one time so don't judge, please. I do remember what all we talked about while pushing sweet Anna.  She had also recently completed her first half ironman, so we had much in common.  We had a great time pushing Anna.  Anna is nonverbal, but can give great high 5s and she loved to make a buzzing sound with her mouth while we did the race.  She was all smiles. It's just a blessing to see these kids enjoy things they wouldn't otherwise be able to do.  

The Freedom Riders have done a great job! Check them out:




Getting lined up and ready


Crossing the finish line 

Terri and Jason have done a great job organizing the FREEDOM RIDERS

I plan to push again in 2017 for the Rise and Shine Half.






No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...