Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Natchez Trace Bike Ride



I was first introduced to this bike ride last year.  I LOVE it!  You have the option of a 25, 50, 62 or 100 mile ride.  Last year I did the 100.  It was awesome, so I wanted to return this year.  I originally signed up for the 62 mile, which is the "metric century" according to Frank, but I backed down to the 25 mile ride.  I've had some problems lately with my sciatic nerve so decided it would be best to back down to the 25 miler.....plus the week before the ride my husband volunteered me to babysit without checking my schedule therefore, I needed to be back in Hattiesburg early that afternoon to watch the grands.  I was actually glad for the excuse.  LOL  I did want to do the longer distance, but knew that I needed to cut it short.  Frank, Krista, & Charity were doing the 25 so it worked out perfect that we could all ride together.... which meant Frank would drive and I could ride... even better. :>)  


This is us before the ride.  Jennifer another friend that was doing the 50 mile ride captured our picture before she headed out.  

Here is a picture of our swag bag... lots of goodies.


They said during the announcements that there were around 750 bikers.  It sure was a ton of bikes.  It was very slow and crowded when the ride started because all the bikers are all crowded together.  I never clip in because I basically keep one foot on the ground rolling my bike until we get out of the park and on the road where you can finally put some distance between you and the other bikers.  

I knew Frank would stay with Krista and I needed to practice pace since I have a TRI coming up this weekend.  I weaved my way around several bikers until I was open.  I didn't really know how many bikers were ahead of me that were fast because we had started in the back of the pack.  I did know that the route for the 25 miles was an out and back route on the same road.  So I would be able to see how man bikers passed me on the way in to judge where I was at.  It's not a race, but still the competitor inside me wanted to know.  

I eventually was all alone on the road.  The two bikers that had been several yards ahead of me soon disappeared in the sun and no one was behind me.  I kept looking at my watch as I approached mile 12 looking for the turn around.  Soon I was at mile 13 and no turn around.  I started getting worried that maybe I had missed a turn in the sunlight and that was where those 2 bikers that were ahead of me disappeared.  I finally stopped at mile 15 and got off my bike on the side of the road.  I stood there debating on turning around and heading back or what to do.  I was so confused.  I was sure when I looked at the map that it was an out and back course.  I finally decided to turn around and head back.  I barely got a few yards and all of a sudden a group of 4-5 bikers topped the hill heading straight for me.  So I turned around again.  One of the guys that reached me asked where is the turn around and I said I have no idea that's why I turned around.  Then all of a sudden the 2 bikers that were ahead of me started heading our way going back in.  They had just turned around at mile 16 (that's where the turn around was at!).  I had not studied the map well enough to know that we went out 16 because when we came back into the park we turned in on a different road to come inside the park.  Now I was aggravated!  I had been the only female behind the leaders and I had turned around and lost my lead! I could have kicked myself.  Remember this is still not a race, but It felt good knowing I was the first female.  So I picked up the pace and put a little distance between me and the few that had caught up with me.  I knew there were 1-2 girls in the group.  I didn't want them to pass me.  However, on the last mile one of them caught up to me!  I could hear 2 bikers behind me for like 1/2 mile.  They were drafting on me.  I didn't want to look back and slow down so I kept going. 

 Well, as soon as we turned into the park the path narrows and weaves around sharp turns heading in to the finish.  It's also a walking path in the park so we were having to weave around walkers with dogs.  She passed me just as we went inside the park and I tried and tired, but could never get around her with all the obstacles we were weaving around.  I later learned she is from the area and knows the route well.  So she beat me in.  However, I had a great time with a good pace.  I was happy.  

I quickly changed my clothes and waited for the others to come rolling in to the finish.  I got a shot of Frank and Krista...

Krista is doing so good on her biking! I'm so proud of her. 

I love these two! 

We got a group shot before we headed home. 

Jennifer, Amanda, Krista, Frank, ME, & Charity

Our funny pic... Love this group! 

Everyone loved the ride.  Even Jennifer who is typically just a runner said she has a new thing ... BIKING :>) And let me just say.. SHE SMOKED THAT 50 MILER!


Frank.... the friend that takes care of us all! Don't know what we would do without him.

My medal.  

Oh and since I didn't change from the 62 mile to the 25 mile till that morning their computer was all messed up.  After the ride they still had me in the 62 mile listed as 1st.  ha  There is no way I rode 62 miles in that time.  The lady said they were having to fix several people's info, so we went ahead and headed on home.  Yesterday we got a link to the "official times"... well guess what? They have a woman listed as the overall rider in the 25 miles! But none of us that did the 25 miles saw her pass us going back in.  They show her as 7 minutes ahead of the two guys I saw.  I'm not sure the results are "final" after seeing that info.  People have still be posting on their page that there are errors in the results.  All I know is I was ahead till the end and then I let a lady squeeze by me. Darn it.. ha  I am actually happy.  My pace was good and my body did good on the ride.  I do LOVE this ride! The Natchez Trace is beautiful!

Now on to rest, focus and prepare for this weekend.  Saturday is going to be a LONG day! I hope to survive the ocean swim at my TRI.  I feel once I'm out of the water I can make good time on the bike and then if I have to walk most of the half so be it.  I just want to cross that finish line within the time limit.  After this race, I'm taking a break for a couple of weeks.  I don't have another race until July and it's a short DUO.  I'm also seeing a doctor in Jackson who has ordered new MRIs on my lower back and neck on Monday.  I haven't had an up to date one in over a year on lower back and 4 years on neck..and with my pain lately he wants to take a look to see if something has changed.  I'm hoping nothing major is wrong.  I was told when I had my neck surgery that due to my age, DDD, etc. that I'm at a high risk for the disc above and below the ones they fused to go out next. :(  So prayers are appreciated.  I have a passion for running and would love to be able to do it until I'm 100. :>)  

I have faith that all will work out according to God's plan for me.  The bible says so. :>)

So until next time.... Happy Trails to you. 

D






No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...