Monday, May 1, 2017

South State Track Meet (Mississippi) & Quadburner 4x4 relay all rolled into one day


 MHSAA South State Meet 5A

Date: April 29, 2017
Place: Gulfport High School

Results:
Brooklyn Brown is my niece! :>)  Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! She's the South State 5A Champ in the 2 mile.  Boy....wish I could run 2 miles in 12 minutes! I was so amazed and so glad I got to go watch her! She's only an 8th grader! Last year she placed 3rd in the State meet.  The girl from Hattiesburg, which was 2nd place, and a girl from Oxford (north champ) beat her by 10 seconds.  Both are seniors this year, so they will be ready to run hard at State again this year.  She will face them again this coming Saturday at the State meet.  She looked so at ease running.  Never looked like she was struggling.  Finished the race looking like she had more in the tank.  Here are a few pics from the race.  

Walking to the Start line





She realizes she is going to win! :>)
I'm just so dang proud of her!  Way to go Brooklyn!  

It was a long day sitting in them football bleachers, but well worth it!  The boys were amazing.  The bleachers filled up when it was time to watch the boys in the shorter distances.  Boy they could fly!  One of my friends son won the 2 mile race for the 6A division.  He's an awesome runner.  His dad grew up with my younger brothers! Here he is... Hayden Shows...  6A 3200 Champ.  He has on the blue socks. :>) 




So after a long day at the track meet, I headed on over to Bay St. Louis about 35 minutes from Gulfport for my own relay that would start at 5:30pm.   It would be the 2nd race in the Quadburner series this year.  Typically each race is a duathlon, but this one was a 4X4 relay.  Each person had to run 4 miles.  It's a lot of fun.  We run on the sidewalk directly beside the beach, so typically it's an awesome view.  I failed to mention earlier in my track meet info that the day was very WINDY and HOT!  The temperature was 82 degrees with bad wind.  Also extremely muggy and humid!  The forecast was calling for a rain front to come in on Sunday and hammer us with rain. 

 I only thought the wind was bad at the track meet! Once I got to the beach area for the relay that's when I realized just how bad the wind really was that day!  The waves were rolling over with tons of white caps.  Sand was beating against our legs.  At times it was so bad it felt like ants biting me.  I had no idea how we were about to run.  Everyone was talking about the wind.  I grabbed a quick picture with my partner Frank as we picked up our race numbers.


Soon most all of us were there so we grabbed a group picture.

Not sure why Daniel is loving up on Frank.... hee hee  Ashley was unable to run due to a stress fracture so Kathy had agreed to step in and be Jennifer's partner.  I was happy to see Kathy back out at the races.  She's been remodeling her house and taking a break from racing recently.

Daniel kept telling Krista he was going first.  She wanted to go first also so they finally flipped for it and he won.  Notice he's so happy with his #1 finger :>)  He kept saying he was #1 .. 

Love this couple! 

Frank ran first for our team.  I waited patiently for him to come in dreading my turn.  Along with all my sciatic problems I've been having lately, I was dreading that wind and sand.  The runners coming back in from their first loop were talking about how tough the run was coming back in against the wind.  Soon Frank was back and I had to start.  I was surprised I was able to run for the most of the 4 miles.  Maybe not running all week and just walking had helped some.  Frank grabbed a couple shots of me coming back in across the finish line. 



Thanks Frank for the pictures! 

My legs were covered with sand.  I felt like I had sand from head to toe!   I couldn't wait to get home to shower, but first we had planned to go eat.  We ended up at the Blind Tiger right down the road and it was fabulous and I had a such a good time with my friends!  I had the royal reds and they were amazing!  Here's a picture. 
The corn and potato cooked with the shrimp were sooooo good!  Bay St. Louis is a quaint little town! So cute.  Live music was playing at several places.  I bet it's packed during the summer.  

Here's a few pictures of my loot from the race.  Love the groovy shirts!  

The front of the shirt and our visor that we got also for registering early. 

The back of the shirts.

I had to get a picture with Kbyrd in our groovy shirts! 

and here's the medal:
If you notice these medals have a hole at the bottom... that's because there is a bigger medal board that all the medals from the series will fit onto.  I try to do 4 of the 5 races to complete my big medal board. :>)  


So that's basically a wrap for my weekend.  I had planned a 3 hour bike ride on Sunday, but due to the monster rain front that didn't happen.  Guess I needed a down day.   Hope your training is going well.  Remember.. we all have bad and good days.  You are not alone.  Join a group of friends that exercise for support.  I love my support group!  I couldn't make it without them! 

D









No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...