Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Grief is difficult to watch

Some people tell me I tell too much or post too much on social media. Maybe I do. I feel deeply. Some even say I'm so sensitive. And YES, I am. When I feel that I've hurt someone, I will worry myself sick thinking about it and wondering what I can do to fix it.   Or if I know someone struggling,  I will worry myself sick about that.  All this with Gary's mom has me very emotional.  We are traveling home and I'm typing away on my iPad because we are both too emotional to talk. 

Isn't it funny... we do everything to prevent growing old. We forget it's a privilege to grow old. Some don't get that chance. We try to erase wrinkles. Dye our hair. We do all kinds of things to try to look younger and yet age still takes over.  

I have many friends my age that have already lost their parents. Most due to cancer.  Gary has been very fortunate to see his parents live a long time. His dad died at 87 just a couple of months before turning 88.  He fought cancer twice that we know of.  They were very private about health issues.  We knew about his lung cancer because he had lung surgery to remove one lung.  Then a couple of years ago, one of the grandsons wife, who is a pharmacist, saw some medicine at the house and knew it was for prostrate cancer and told us. Even with both of those cancers he still managed to live a good long life that many only dream to live in their 80s still living in their own home, driving, cutting their own grass, and still waiting on the love of their life hand and foot.  He was very lucky.  

This weekend we had to travel to PA under different circumstances. It was for Gary's dad funeral service.   Gary had recently spent a month by his dads beside before he passed.  Most days it was just Gary with his dad. His mom said she just couldn't do it.  After he passed, Gary stayed a week and then came home to get me and go back for service after the little league World Series. Yep, it just so happen right when the series was about to start so there were no hotel rooms. The series is huge! It's on TV and people from all over the country come to PA.  So the service would be 3 weeks later.  

When Gary left his mother she was doing pretty good.  It was 180 degrees turnaround when we went back. We arrived on Thursday the day before the service and found her in bed. She had not been dressed in days, nor eaten.  We were in total shock.  I remember when we walked in the house, we couldn't find her so Gary went to the bedroom and she was just laying there crying.  She was so small.  She had lost lots of weight and had no strength to get out of bed. Gary helped her to the chair in the living room.   We both sat with her with nothing but worry on our mind.  I've always heard grief can be so ugly.  I was young when my mother's mother died. But I do remember it was hard for her. However, I had a new born and my life was busy with 2 small kids, so I missed being right in the middle of the grief.  I can say now that I've seen grief up close and it's so heart breaking.   I felt so emotionally drained this weekend. 

As we sat there Thursday, Ellie, Gary's mom, would start crying and when Gary would ask what was wrong all she said was, "why did he leave me?"   I could barely hold back the tears.    You know they say sometimes the child has to become the parent. Well that's exactly what I saw with Gary and his mom.  He reminded her that Jim didn't just leave her.   He died. They had 69 years together.  That really didn't ease her pain, because it was written all over her face, but she stopped crying for about an hour and then it was the same scene all over again.  We played this scene over and over all weekend with her.  Some were worst than others and on our last two days there, it turned from, "why did he leave me?" To "Gary I don't want you to go home,  I'm so lonely."  Talk about being on an emotional roll coaster watching these painful scenes and not being able to do a dang thing! 

We left there that Thursday night not knowing whether she was going to the service or not. Gary told her to be up the next morning because we were coming to pick her up.  Surprisingly she was up when we arrived. But as soon as we said it's time to go, she told us no.  "NO" was her favorite word all day on Friday.   We finally got her up and almost to the door and she just started sitting down so I grabbed a dinning chair and put behind her before she fell.  She told us she wasn't going.  Gary told her that he wasn't forcing her to go and he wasn't waiting on her because we were already running late, so she better decide right that moment if she was going or not.  We stood there in silence a couple of minutes and then she said she had to. It was a struggle to get her down the steps and in the car.  She had no strength. There is no way she would walk on her own.  We both had to hold on to her to help her walk. 

Once at the church, she told me I had to sit beside her. I told her that should be Gary or his brothers place. She told me No.  she said they wouldn't sit, and she wanted me too.  As I sat there and watched many of her old friends come up and speak to her, I thought of so many things.  Most were telling her they were praying for her and one sweet little old lady kept telling her that she had even through the same thing and that she would make it thru this difficult time. Ellie just said No.  Ever time we asked her if she needed something she said No. And then after the service she said she wanted to go home. We asked her if she wanted to stay for the church lunch and again she said No.  So Gary and his two sons took her home.  She only wanted to be left alone.  I had hoped all of us with the great grand kids could spend the afternoon with her.  But she kept telling Gary..No.  So we left her alone as she wished.  I told Gary maybe we should just go sit with her anyway and he said no.  He said I've got to respect her wishes today.  So I didn't push it.  Maybe I should have, but she's not my mother.  I didn't want to overstep.  I felt my job is to love Gary and respect his wishes.  I knew he was very upset inside and trying to hide it from his kids.  Every time we were alone, he would tell me how shocked he was to see his mom in her condition.  She was always the strong one. He figured God took is dad first for that reason.   However, in the back of my mind I was remembering that in all 12 years of me coming to PA, Jim waited on Ellie hand and foot. He treated her like a queen.  I couldn't imagine how she was feeling. 

Michelle, the neighbor, friend, adopted sister Gary never had, and nurse was going by to check on Ellie with her daughter Katie who Jim and Ellie babysit when she was growing up after the service.  Katie was in town from Boston. They are not blood, but they are family.  Michelle grew up next door to Jim and Ellie. She's a tad older than me so she came along after Gary had left to go to college in the south. They took her in.  She says it was because she was a child with 4 siblings and she didn't get much attention at home. Ha.  Jim and Ellie always took her out for her birthday.  And then when Michelle got married and had 2 kids, Jim and Ellie also adopted them as grandkids.  We heard many stories on Katie and Kevin each time we visited.  I was glad they were going to check in on Ellie.  Michelle said she'd let us know how Ellie was and for us to go enjoy the rest of the afternoon with the grandkids.  First time for Gary to have all his grandkids in PA.  We had a wonderful afternoon sitting out at pier 87, which is a cute little restaurant nestled down by the creek in the mountains.  It was very relaxing and took our mind off the dire situation for just a little bit.  I knew in the back of Gary's mind he was thinking about what and how we were going to handle his mom.   

Michelle called Gary as we were heading back to the hotels. She told him that her and Katie had given Ellie a stern talking to. They noticed she had not been taking her medicine.  She's on blood pressure medicine and the doctor had given her something for depression.   Katie is also a pharmacist so she fixed two weeks of meds up in daily pill containers and told Ellie she had to take her medicine every day and that Michelle was going to be coming back to check daily.  Gary was so happy to hear this news.   

The next day the plan was for everyone to visit Ellie before the grand kids left for Washington.  However, before I even got dressed, Gary got a call from his mom saying she needed him.  She was on the floor and couldn't get up.  Gary rushed to check on her.  He called me and said for me to let him know when I was dressed and he'd come get me then, but not till then because he was staying with her.  He also told his kids she was not up to seeing anyone.  So they left and went on to Washington.   This broke my heart as I'm sure it did theirs.  Drews girls have never been to Jim and Ellie's house.  When Gary picked me up, I started giving him my opinion that I thought they should have seen her.  He told me he didn't want them to remember her the way she was now.   I didn't push it.  I just tried to respect his wishes and love.   Lord knows I loved his dad and love his mom.  They welcomed me with open arms the first time I meet them. They were genuine. They were kind. They were special.  

We had a rough morning with her.  Then It was like a light switched and she began to perk up. Maybe because Gary had been talking to her pretty sternly about how she had to eat.  She was so skinny and frail.  I would have never dreamed she would be that bad.  Gary had to help her up to bathroom.  I sat there and wondered what the heck she did while we were not there.  She had no strength.  I managed to clean the refrigerator out.  She didn't like me doing anything.  Kept telling me No.  Jim did most all the house work. After his lung cancer he was unable to work, she continued to work and he was at home taking care of the house.  He'd have her supper ready when she got home. Like I said, he waited on her for years.   And he did it with joy.  She often offered to clean the kitchen when we were there and he'd refuse to let her.  Oh and he waited on me to when I was there.  He truly was a rare gem!! 

We finally got her to eat a half of a sandwich.  And then out of the blue she asked where all the grandkids were at.  My heart broke again.  I whispered to Gary that they should have came by.  He then told me it was all his fault.  After seeing her on her floor he didn't think she would improve and didn't want them to see her in that state.  He felt bad he had not told them to give her a little bit and then come by. We told her they went on to Washington to sight see.  She said that was probably best because she was a mess.  That just opened another door for Gary to talk to her.  So many of her friends told us at the funeral that she wouldn't let them in to visit her.  They Said she even hung up on them when they called to talk to her.  She has lots of friends there, but she is stuck in her grief and wanted to stay there.  You could tell she had no desire to eat or get dressed.  Which for her is RARE!  I had never seen her without makeup, hair piece, and dressed in dress clothes until this weekend.  She'd often pick and me and Gary about our casual t shirts and shorts when we came to visit.  She was always dressed like she was going to work. 

Later that night we finally talked her into letting us get her some food from a local restaurant.  I still wasn't sure she would eat it, but we got it. Surprisingly she ate a small bowl of lasagna and even smiled.  I kept thinking this may be a turning point. I was praying it would be.  However, when we got ready to go to our hotel, she began to cry. She was confused thinking we were going home to Mississippi right then.  Gary reassured her we would be back the next day and she better be dressed. Lol.  He was really turning into the parent! 

As we drove back to the hotel, I told Gary my concerns.  I honestly didn't see how Ellie was going to remain there alone. She couldn't do anything herself.  Unless someone went to grocery store for her, took her to bathroom, washed her clothes, took care of the house and yard, there was no way she could do it.  He said he realized that, but wanted to give her another day.  He said she's stressed.  She doesn't want to leave her house.  I think she wants to grieve in her own home.  I told him I understood all that, but we dont live close and who was going to do all this for her.  

Thank goodness for Michelle!! Although I told Gary you can't just depend on Michelle to do it forever.  That wouldn't be right. 

The next day she seemed a tad better. She was up when we got there, but wanted Gary to help her to the bathroom.  Again, my mind is wondering how the heck she's going to make it when we leave.  We sat around the rest of the day.  Gary kept trying to make her laugh and he succeeded a few times.   She then asked for a McDonald hamburger.  We were shocked, but I jumped in the vehicle fast as I could to go get it.  I also stopped at Rite Aid and bought her a cane.  Earlier that day Gary had went in his dads room and got the walker that they had purchased for Jim.  She totally did not like it at all.  She immediately started crying and kept saying no, no, no.  We asked her why and she said it just brought back so many memories of Jim those last 6 weeks.  So we put it up.  I wasn't sure she'd except the cane, but I got it and when I got back I left the cane in the vehicle and took her the burger.  She gobbled it down which made us very happy.  I told Gary he could give her the cane and see how she accepted it. Ha.  To my surprise she didn't turn her head from the cane, but asked Gary to help her try to use it.  Oh now my heart was starting to feel a tad better.  Just to see her actually ask made me smile.  I forgot to mention that she fell several days before we arrived. She had a badly bruised knee but refused to go to doctor.  So besides being week from not eating she had a very sore knee. 

Michelle stopped by later that evening to check on Ellie because she knew we would be leaving the next day and she wanted to see if we'd made any progress in getting Ellie to eat and out of bed.  She was happy to see her in her chair, but also still concerned.  She told me in private when she left that she was very worried.  I told her I was too.  

The day we left headed to Mississippi, Ellie cried and told both of us she didn't want us to go home.  She kept telling me the days were too long and she was so lonely without Jim.  All I could do was hug her.  Gary tried to be strong, but I could see the worry and sadness written all over his face.  As we finally got out in the car to leave, the country song about my old man was on.  I think it's by Zac Brown.  We both rode in complete silence with tears rolling down our face.  I couldn't even look over at Gary.  I don't think I've been that sad in a long time. I felt so empty inside and helpless.  I didn't know what to do for Gary or his mom.  Our journey home was very quiet.  When we got home I asked Gary if he was going to call his mom and he said no that he would in the morning. He just couldn't take no more of her crying.  I'm not sure either of us slept that night. 

I took off work today and glad I did.  My hip is hurting so bad from traveling and sitting.  Gary came home at lunch and I asked him if he got his mom.  He started crying. He said she didn't answer so he got the neighbor to go check. Ellie was in bed. She finally called Gary back and he said they both cried and he told her he didn't want to lose her too.  She promised she was going to try. So again here we are miles alway hoping she will find the strength to do so.  She's lost the love of her life.  But I know my God is a faithful and I'm praying he'll put someone in her path there in PA to help her through this difficult time. We are very worried because you hear stories of how one spouse dies and the other one grieves themselves to death.  Ellie is basically in great health. She could live another 20 years her doctor says, but she's got to want too.  Oh dear Lord, give her the want too please.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Boston Marathon Weekend 2024 (Part 1 - Travel with mom)

  I decided to break this post into 2 parts because there is just so much to share about Boston. 💛💙 First, my mom went with me to Boston. ...