Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Life is a beautiful ride...... NEW BIKE



Remember how little kids are so excited when they get a new bike for Christmas?  They beg and beg to ride no mater the weather outside.  Or they may ride inside especially if they are little.  Doesn't matter if they have those training wheels on them or not.  All they can think about is that they want to ride.  Then the first time they sail off without those training wheels it's magical.  

I don't remember riding a bike much as a kid.  I'm sure I had one or shared one with my sister (we shared many things back in the day). 

 One of my running friends talked me into doing a sprint TRI back in 2011.  I was so nervous.  I borrowed a bike from a friend who had one he was trying to sell.  Boy it was fast.  However, he was asking $5,000 for it.  It was a really nice bike.  But I was not ready to put that kind of money into a bike.  I've seen many times over the years where people buy all this exercise equipment and then it collects dust at their house.  Like my dad's treadmill.  LOL  I don't think it's been used in over 10 years or so.  So my first bike I ever owned as an adult was a used Schwinn my husband got for my birthday in July, 2011 right after Sunfish.  I didn't want to continue using my friends because I was scared I'd mess something up and then have to buy it from him.  We only paid like $400 for my used bike.  Here's a few pictures: 




It rode smooth.  However, it's an aluminum bike and it's not light.  Very heavy.  I probably rode it for a year or two and then another friend told me about a girl selling her used Trek bike.  Luckily she was in my spin class so we worked out a deal and I bought her Trek.  Sonya has also bought her used so that kind of tells you how old she was when I got her.  I think she's a 2007 or 2008 model.  Once again I wasn't ready to put a ton of money into a new bike just yet.  She was getting a new all carbon bike.  Those things are LIGHT!  Anyway, I loved her bike.  I've put many, many miles on Dixie (that's what I named the Trek bike).  I've rode several bike rides on her including my first ever 100 miler, metric century 62.5, 50 miler, and 2 half ironman distances 56 miles on her not to count all the training miles.  She's been a good bike.  Here are a few pictures:



Frank showing me how to put air in the tires properly not long after I got her.  I believe this was taken at Sunfish TRI in 2015.  I added aero bars to her & clip in pedals when I started riding longer distances.  I loved the clip in pedals so much.  I don't know what took me so long to switch over from the baskets to them!  
My sweatshirt is kind of covering the bars.  This is one of my fav pictures from a ride on the coast with my friends Krista & Meloyde.  

So it's 2018 and I took Dixie in to the new bike shop in town to get her serviced up for a new year.  In the back of my mind I wanted to also price new bikes, but I wasn't going to get overly excited because I was thinking It was going to be $5,000 and I sure wasn't going to pay that.  LOL   Let me say that you can buy speed... you can buy all sorts of things and types of bikes to make you fast and the faster you want to go the more the bike will cost usually....  For me I wanted to look at new road bikes that were all carbon and compare to my Dixie.  

Let me first say that Perfect Endurance Bikes owned by Jed and Deb are amazing!  


Not only is he extremely knowledgeable ... he is a coach!  He coaches a girl that holds a record for time trial.  She's FAST! and he also holds a record himself.  


 He was riding the morning I went and I first talked to Deb.  She showed me new road bikes and told me all about them and how much a difference I would notice compared to my Trek.  I told her I also wanted to get my Trek serviced.  I knew the gears were slipping some and it hadn't had a tune up in over a year.  As I was getting it and she was putting it up on the trainer to take a look, Jed came back from his ride.  He has all kinds of racers that come from all over and they ride and he coaches them.  Anyway, they noticed my ironman sticker and asked If I had done an ironman.  I told them I had done a half ironman.  He asked if I did it on the Trek.  I told him yes and that I had done my 100 mile bike ride on the Trek.  He just smiled and said that I would be faster on a TT bike.  I had no idea what he was talking about.  I told him that I had also considered looking at TRI bikes along with road bikes and that's when he told me TRI bikes are really TT bikes.  The TT stands for time trial.  The reason they are called that is because of their aero design that makes you go much faster and people do time trials on them.  

Ok...so by now they are getting me all pumped up on looking at new bikes... hee hee   He did say that my Dixie needed a new chain and the gears were slipping and he would fix all that for me, but he wanted to show me a Cervelo TT bike.  Let's just say I feel in love.  She's so sleek.  The price wasn't near as bad as I thought either with just made it sweeter.  Gary says I've been acting like I got a royal royce. ha!  Of course they didn't have my exact size so she had to be ordered.  I was now like that kid waiting on Christmas!  

Once she came in they called and I had to go let him fit me to the bike.  He took his time and adjusted and adjusted until everything felt great.  He also talked a lot about biking riding and gave me several tips.  I just hope I can remember them once I get on the bike.  The weather has been so nasty here that I haven't ridden yet.  Plus I'm still recovering from my bladder surgery and the doc had told me not to ride hard till 6 weeks post surgery.  I'm only 4 weeks post.  

Here's some pictures of her.

On the trainer at the shop getting all fixed up for me. 


 Deb took picture of me before leaving shop with her.  Right now until I get use to her the seat isn't very high.. but he said most people once they get use to a TT bike they put their seat up higher so that you are in more of a aero position to go even faster.  Now that I'll have to wait on until I get use to this first... :<>)

 Loaded on car and ready to go home. 


She's inside! Too scared to leave her hanging on carport.. ha  I've never had a NEW bike.  Sooooooooo EXCITED.  I'm glad I waited to prove to myself that I do LOVE to ride before spending money on a new bike.  I think I'll appreciate her that much more.  Not sure if I'll sale my Trek or keep her for rainy days or put her on a trainer inside to ride on cold/rainy days.  Since I just had her all tuned up, I'm not ready to get rid of her just yet.  Not till I test this new bike out good.  And many people say to keep your road bike for when you want to give your TT bike a break.  


 This is so TRUE!


  Can't wait to do a couple bike rides I have coming up with friends on my new bike.  I've got to give her name.  Think I'll ride her first and see how she does and that will determine her name. :>) 

If you haven't rode a bike lately...... you should try it.  It's amazing! well, except when you going up a steep hill...those clip on pedals really help then.  Can't wait to see my friend Krista ride with her new clip on pedals. 

Happy Riding! D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Half Marathon #50 for me! Run the Rainbow for the Children's Hospital in Jackson, Ms

  Saturday, March 16, 2024 I ran my 50th half marathon.  WOW!  never in a million years when I was younger would I have thought I would or e...