Thursday, May 24, 2018

Week 19 IMCHOO144.6

The count down continues! 19 weeks till IMCHOO.. and I do a very stupid thing! Well, I do often tell new runners not to do anything NEW on race day, but it's good to try things out when training so you know before race day what works and what doesn't work for you.  Let's just say I KNOW old shoes don't work for me. :>) 

Saturday before last I was in such a hurry to get to town to meet my friends for a long run.  My husband was leaving also at the same time driving to the airport for a visit to see his mom.  I had so many things on my mind that when I stepped out of my car to run, I realized I had on flip flops!!! I had forgot my good running shoes with my inserts in them!  I was so mad at myself.  I keep an old pair of sneakers in my trunk in case of emergencies and against my best knowledge, I decided to do my 16 mile run in them!  So not a good decision!  


The group heading out.  I'll be doing Hawaii - Kona marathon with several of these peeps! 4 weeks! 

However, I had one of the best runs I've had in a long time!  Since my bursitis and bladder surgery, I've done mostly run/walk long distance runs.  I often get pumped when running with others and to me it's easier to run faster than normal.  We started off with a warm up walk followed by running.  It wasn't long before me and Ms Be ventured off in front of the others.  She's training at a much faster pace than most of us.  She would like to qualify for Boston so she pushes to stay strong. :>)  As my watch began to beep showing my pace on each mile, I noticed we were staying between 9:15-9:45 pace.  I was so pumped!  I couldn't believe I was running so good and that my body felt great.  It was also a cool morning which  made running easier.  Probably the last cool morning we will see in south Mississippi! Humidity 100% today with 90 degrees! GRRRR 

At the end of the 16 miles,  I felt great. 


So I thought the shoes really didn't bother me.  However, then I went home and cooked, cleaned, moved patio furniture, and got ready for my family to come over for a mother's day weekend get together.  I was on my feet from 6am till midnight that day!!! When I woke up on Sunday morning and put my feet on the floor I cringed.  Oh the pain! I felt like I had run barefoot on rocks.  Felt just like the worst stone bruise ever!  I was so glad it was rest day on my training program! 

During the week my left foot quit hurting, but not my right foot.  This is also the foot that I tend to strike the ground harder with when running due to my nerve damage in my spine.  I rested it until the following Saturday.  I then tried to run, but got 3 miles into the run and the pain in my heel was just too bad.  I turned around and walked back to my car in tears.  I decided to go on to the doctor to get it checked out.  He said it was PF (Plantar Fasciitis) probably from the old shoes without my inserts. 


Yes, each time I buy running shoes, I also buy inserts.  They aren't cheap either! Usually $99 unless I find them on sale.  So for me a new pair of shoes on average $125 plus my inserts $99 = $224 cost about every 3-4 months depending on the miles I'm running.  Got to take care of these feet! :>) 
The inserts that I love! Protalus M series


What Causes PF? (according to web med)
A number of things can contribute to plantar fasciitis. While men can get plantar fasciitis, it’s more common in women. You're also more likely to suffer from this condition as you age or if you’re overweight or on your feet for several hours a day.
Your risk also increases if you:
  • Wear worn-out shoes with thin soles
  • Have flat feet or a very high arch
  • Often wear high-heeled shoes
  • Have tight Achilles tendons, or “heel cords”
  • Have an unusual walk or foot position

So it's 19 weeks to IMCHOO and I'm resting from running to let this PF maybe heal up some!  So many people have told me that they took a full year to get over their PF. :<(   I'm hoping mine is not that bad.  I will continue to bike and swim as much as possible to stay strong.  My foot actually feels much better today and I may try a short run this weekend to test it out.  But If I have pain, I'll stop.  I do not want to make it worse.  Kind of makes me think about food also.  If we put junk in our bodies, our body turns out junk.  Wearing junk shoes.... turns out bad results. :>) 


So that's how my training is going on week 19.  My swim continues to get longer and my bike stronger.  I won't stop.  I won't quit.  Just a bump in the road.   



When you feel like you're drowning in life, don't worry--
your lifeguard walks on water!!
Love, D

P.S. .. glad Kona marathon will be about fun not running fast. LOL  The girls I am going with are the ones I did Disney with and they'll be lots of picture stops.  And we have an 8 hour time limit so we can walk most of the race if need be. :>)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Countdown to the Boston Marathon 2024 (marathon #35)

 3 days away from Boston 5K with mom and 5 days away from Boston Marathon for me...    As I sit here just days before the widely known Bosto...