Friday, June 15, 2018

Fathers Day is approaching



Well this weekend is Father's day and I'm feeling happy I have my dad and so sad for those that are missing their dad.  My uncle passed away this week and my two cousins will be without their dad this weekend. :<(  AND my mother-in-law was put in the hospital last night.  She hasn't eaten much this past week and been very emotional according to Gary's friend that goes to check on her.  Gary feels it's father's day coming up and she's depressed missing Jim.  Now here we are 16 hours from her worrying about her.  Then there's Taylor, Gary, Kyle and the girls that will be missing Drew this weekend. 

Oh sweet Drew!

Oh how I miss sweet JIM!

It's just a sad time for so many.  

So many post on Facebook with people missing their dads.  It makes me grateful that many years ago I took the step to try to form a relationship with my dad.  I wasn't a daddy's girl.  I didn't grew up talking to my dad or doing anything with my dad.  I can barely remember saying two words to my dad as a child.  Yes, he was around.  He worked hard to support all 5 of us kids.  He just wasn't the type dad that many of my friends had where they all sat in their dad's laps or went to their dad for advice.  I was so envious of so many of my friends.  I do have many fond memories of my dad growing up.  My parents were never church going people, but on Sundays dad usually had the old time gospel music on the radio playing and many times he'd be playing his base guitar.  Now his fingers are so deformed from arthritis that he can barely play.  I begged him to get his base guitar out for my mom's 70th birthday recently just to show all the grandkids.  He actually did it and I LOVED seeing him with that guitar in his hands. 


If you have or had a special relationship with your dad... cherish it!  If you didn't or don't still today.... maybe you too can take a step to try too.  

It wasn't until I had kids of my own that I got this really deep desire to tell my dad that I loved him.  He had a bad heart attack and had to have quadruple bypass surgery.  I think as we age we think more and more about death.  I just had this deep feeling that I needed to somehow tell him I loved him.  So one day all of us were at my parent's house where we often were every Sunday for lunch until the family grew so big it's hard to feed us all. LOL  Anyway, I stayed after everyone left helping mom clean up, but I was also building up the courage to hug my dad and tell him I loved him.  I nearly left without doing it because my heart was beating so very fast.  I was a nervous wreck.  But I did it.  And let me just tell you.... it broke the ice between us!! 

My 50th birthday!  So glad that 30 years ago, I took that leap to form a relationship with my dad. :>) 

He told me he loved me and since that day, we always hug each other and tell each other we love each other.  We may still not have long lengthy conversations where he advices me or tells me much of anything.... He's a quiet person... doesn't really talk much to anyone.... but I know he knows I love him.  

All my siblings! 

And my dad can even be funny when he wants too.... him with my kids

My dad in his dad's old truck with mom and all the kids.

So if you are missing your dad know that I'm praying for you.  I pray you have wonderful memories to cherish.  If you are not close to your dad, but would like to be.... take that leap.  It will be hard, but I bet it will be worth it. :>)  

His love... FISHING!

Happy Father's day to all the dads out there.  And THANK YOU to the dads that truly take the time to get to know each one of their children.  Whether it's a date night with your daughter, a fishing day with your son, or whatever it might be... You are AMAZING.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...