Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Heatwave Oly TRI 6-2-18

Heatwave Oly TRI 

The 2018 Heatwave Classic Triathlon is entering its 33rd  year of existence. This year’s race will be held on Saturday, June 2, 2018, with a start time of 7:00 a.m.
This year’s race will consist of a ½ mile swim in the Ross Barnett Reservoir, a 27 ½ mile bike ride along the scenic and historic Natchez Trace Parkway, and ending with a 10K run along Ridgeland’s heavily shaded Multi-Use Trail.

I felt pretty good about the race on my drive to Jackson on Saturday morning even after the past weekend's fainting episode.  I drank my water with tailwind on the ride and ate a piece of peanut butter toast.  I was remembering nutrition today!  However, I always hate swimming in the Reservoir.  It's always choppy and I'm afraid I'll meet an alligator.  But I knew I needed the open water practice.  Swimming in the pool is just not the same as swimming in open water.  And even though this would be my 13th TRI, I still get very nervous about the swim!  I know for those of you that don't do these type races, you probably don't understand that, but trust me... you'll hear several TRI athletes tell you they all hate the swim.   Many of us are afraid of that open water swim.  If you get tired on a bike or running, you can stop and rest.  There is no stopping in open water.  It's either drown or swim.  

First thing I notice is they've changed the swim course from previous years.  Everyone is out by the water talking about it.  The water at this point seems calm to me so I wade out and swim for a few minutes.  My coach says try to get in the water before the race if possible.  Feel the water.  Taste the water.  Relax those nerves.  So I did and I felt good except the first buoy looked forever out there and there were no Kayaks out there with life guards out there yet and the race was starting in 5 minutes!  

We started in number order and I was number 41 so I was up front.  I didn't like that because I knew there was going to be many fast people swimming over me as soon as we got in the water.  And sure enough.... they did.  I got swam on, kicked, hit by an arm and I swallowed a boat load of water each time.  One time I got so chocked that I had to turn over on my back and try to cough it all up.  I literally thought I was going to drown.  Which only set in panic.  I hate panic!  Panic can kill ya!  I kept telling myself to get a grip and breath.  However, my breathing would not get regular.  I was in full panic mode and to top it off I was not even at the first buoy yet!  I could barely see it.  We were swimming directly into the sunrise and I could not see anything.  My heart was beating so fast and my breathing was awful.  I had to do some deep talking to  myself and I finally made it to the first buoy to turn.  All I could think about was this was only a 1/2 mile swim and I have a 2.4 mile swim coming up for ironman and I was struggling bad.  It was probably my worst swim ever!  I was mad and so disappointed.  All the laps I've been putting in the pool and my good swim back in April at the Tradition TRI meant nothing at this point.  I was struggling bad!  I kept telling myself to not quit.  I finally made it back to shore and was so dang tired from my panic attack!  Took me 30 minutes!  Last time I swam at this race I did the distance in 20  minutes.  I was also furious at myself.  

If you've never seen the movie Chasing Mavericks... I highly recommend it.  And this saying is from the moving and so TRUE! 


Once on the bike, boy I pushed it.  I was taking out all my anger on the ride. :>)  I looked down and I was averaging between 19-20 mph.  I was like... I might not can swim today, but dang it I can bike.  I ended the bike ride with an average of 18.8  mph.  We hit a hard headwind for several miles.  I was excited about my pace on the bike.  But all I could think about was the dang swim!! 

I wasn't running due to my PF in my right foot, so I waited for them to let me back in transition to get my bike so I could go home.  I took this picture while waiting.  Only picture I got because I only had one friend at the race and she was just starting her run and I didn't hang around for the finish.  

My watch saves my bike miles in 5 mile increments... need to figure out how to change  that.. ha 



 It was a quite drive home.  I went over and over the swim.  I don't know why I let panic take over.  Not every race is good.  We ALL have bad races..... bad Workouts.... we must choose to put that foot forward and move on.  We can't let our disappointments define us.  Some might quit and not do another open water swim.  As for me, I have 3 more before ironman so I'm praying each one will be better and I'll get stronger.  I know swim is not my best event.  So I must push forward and practice!  



Happy training to you and don't quit after a bad day!  Remember.... "The only way you are going to have success is to have lots of failures first.".  

D




No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying Pig Marathon - 5/4/24

  Last marathon for me until the Fall. 🙌🙌🙌😁 3 weeks after Boston another marathon.. say what.. ha ... I think we actually registered for...