Monday, July 29, 2019

T - 9 Weeks to Ironman Chatty 144.6

T - 9 Weeks to Ironman Chatty 144.6

Another week is done! 

The week started off good.  Snap shot of my weekly training:

Monday - Rest
Tuesday - 2,500 yard swim - 1 hour bike
Wednesday - 5 mile run with speed intervals
Thursday - 2,400 yard swim - 35 min speed work
Friday - Rest day
Saturday - 17 mile run
Sunday - 70 mile bike

My swim felt good, my speed work was really good and then my long run was not what I am hoped for at all. :(  My 5 mile run on Wednesday with speed intervals felt so good that I was on a high the rest of the day!  I couldn't wait to get to my long run on Saturday.  But that good feeling quickly died Saturday when at mile 13 of the 17 I developed bad cramps in not one calf, but both of my calves!  In all my years of running, I've never had cramps in both legs at the same time!  It was debilitating.  I could barely walk a few steps without one of them locking up and putting me in a stand still trying to breath deeply until it passed.  One time I literally had to sit down and rub my calf until it stopped hurting.  It was as hard as a brick!  Another runner ran right by me and didn't even ask if I was ok!  I wanted to trip his butt.  Then a guy walking his dog came by and he stopped and asked me if I needed help.  I so wanted him to help me up because I didn't know if I could stand up without cramping again, but he was walking a huge pit bulldog.  It was all he could do to hold the dog on the leash and the man was very muscular and fit looking.  But that dog was all muscle and he was trying to pull the man.  The way the man was doing all he could do to hold the dog away from me made me fearful so I told him I was fine.  I didn't want none of that dog. LOL  

I walked from mile 14-17 to finish.  It was all I could do.  Two of my friends were there doing a short brick and had asked me if they could come pick me up.  I told them no that I would make it.  In hindsight I wish I had let them come get me!  My calves are so freaking sore!! They did wait on me and walked back and met me with pickle juice and a ice cold rag as I finished.  They are two of the BEST friends I could ever ask for!!! Krista and Frank have been such blessings to me during this journey!  I can't thank them enough! 


If someone had captured a picture of me... this would have been it.....


So what causes muscle cramps in runners?  Well, according to runners world:



Leg cramps from running are typically caused by overuse, muscle strain or dehydration. Running too far too quickly and without sufficient training or warming up can quickly lead to thigh and calf cramps.

So as I usually do I have analyzed and analyzed what went wrong. LOL  I ran 16 at the beach when on vacation and had no issues.  I thought I did everything as usual and as I'm supposed to do.  But looking back, I may not of hydrated as well as I normally do on Thursday & Friday.  We implemented a new payroll system at work and I spent most of those days trying to get the new data into reports I have to have done on Friday.  I worked many hours without getting up from my desk so I may not have filled my water bottle enough.  AND then on Saturday I felt good so I changed up my program and instead of doing my normal jog/walk intervals I've been doing on long runs, I ran 12 miles only walking a couple of seconds when my watched beeped at the mile mark.   

So I think my lesson here is make sure I hydrate!! Especially in this dang south Mississippi heat! and Stick with the program!  Guess we'll see in 2 weeks when I have 18 miles to do.

I was worried about my 70 mile bike on Sunday, but was able to finish it.  My calves didn't hurt while riding only when we stopped and I had to walk. LOL  Now if we had rode hills that might of been a different story, but we rode on the trace and took it easy.  Jennifer and I had both had a tough Saturday and both had faced some cramps so the easy ride was just what we needed! 


I did take me an ice bath when I got home.  Boy it felt good! 

But my calves are still super sore! This morning when I got out of my bed I wanted to say ouch, ouch, ouch all the way walking to the bathroom.  They'll be no running for me today or maybe for a couple of days until this soreness calms down! :>)  I'm very thankful today is REST day!  I'm trying these today on my calves.... sure hope it helps.  My calves have NEVER been this sore!  I'm sure everyone in the office thinks I smell like a really old person.. ha... but who cares if it gives me relief!



The countdown continues!




Until next week....




No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying Pig Marathon - 5/4/24

  Last marathon for me until the Fall. 🙌🙌🙌😁 3 weeks after Boston another marathon.. say what.. ha ... I think we actually registered for...