Friday, July 5, 2019

The Shark Run - Flora Bama 7-4-19

The Shark Run hosted by Harley Sports on 7-4-19

our race shirts. :>)



A 4th of July adventure.  When registering you had the option of picking either the 4 mile road race or the original 4.5 adventure run (mostly on beach).  Of course I picked the adventure run. :>)  I thought all my friends would also be doing the adventure run, but I found out right before the race that they all picked the road race. LOL   We've all ran on the beach and know how difficult it can be so they all said they were not doing that again. :>)   I almost changed to the road race that morning, but decided not to go to all the trouble.  

The night before my husband and I had rushed to get to Gulf Shores after work.  We got to go eat at one of our favorite places for dinner..... Louisiana Lagniappe.   It was FABULOUS!  I got my usual... the chef's special.  It's not on the menu.  They typically tell you about it when they seat you at your table.  It's fish baked in parchment paper for 18 minutes topped with crab meat & shrimp and then topped with some sauce after it's baked.  It is DELICIOUS!  


Now back to the race... hee hee  

Race morning it was already HOT at 6am!  I meet up with my PPRF group and we got a couple of pictures before the start. 


Also, ran into my friend Mo who lives in the area when I went inside to run to the bathroom real quick.  Say a prayer for her.  Her cancer is back and there is basically nothing to cure it.  She told me she's dying.  I felt so bad.  She continues to run at all the races, which she laughed and said I'll be dog last, but I'm not stopping.  I originally met her years ago at a race through another good friend.  Since then we've always chatted when we'd run into each other from time to time at races.  She is known for the "queen" at the Marine Corps marathon for setting a fast time several years ago, plus she's ran the marathon every year for many years.  My heart just breaks for her that she's dealing with cancer.  Here we are:


She told me she was also running the beach run.  I didn't see her once the race started.  I did see her after the race and she told me she placed 2nd in her age group with her horrible time.    I congratulated her, but honestly I didn't know what to say.  What do you say to someone that keeps telling you they are dying ????  I told her I'd continue to pray for her.  I don't think she's religious.  She's very mad at God and voices that opinion.  So I just hugged her and told her I'd be praying.  I'm praying for her soul.  I can't imagine someone dying that isn't saved.   And she's a good person.  She'd do anything for you.  But we all know that's not what gets you to Heaven.  

So back to the race again...  Boy it was HOT.  They said they had over 1,000 participants.  The first 1.7 miles was on the road.  I was running fast and felt great.  My first mile was 8:36.  I grinned from ear to ear when my watch beeped and thanked Lisa for my speed work run she made me do on Tuesday. :>)   

But at mile 1.7 is where the ones of us that were running the 4.5 adventure run turned to get on the beach.  A truck was parked where everyone was taking off their socks and shoes before going on to run on the beach.  I debated for a minute to not take mine off then I remembered how the last time it took weeks and weeks to get all the sand out of my shoes.  No matter how many times I washed them the next time I ran in them, sand would work it's way in my socks. :(    So I stopped and took off mine and took the time to tie my shoes together.  I could just see the mess it was going to be to find my shoes at the end because everyone was throwing shoes all over in the back of the truck. LOL  

Now the real work starts!  If you've ever ran on the beach then you know how it will really work ya calves!  The water had beat the sand to where you had the choice of either running in the white sand that was so thick and each time you picked up ya foot you kicked sand all up the back of your legs.... or you could run down by the water ..... but the water was washing in so fast the sand was not hard and you snuck down into the sand.  No matter how you ran, it wasn't easy.  Plus did I mention they had people playing sharks along the course trying to grab your flag.  Kind of like flag football.  You had to try to outrun them! Or if they got your flag, you had to get it back because if you didn't cross the finish line with your flag, you were not eligible for awards!  I almost pulled a muscle running from one kid trying to get my flag. :>)   It definitely was an adventure! 

I was glad when it was over.  LOL  The group grabbed a picture out on the beach before awards:


Then to my surprise... I got grand masters! 



 My shark teeth medal. 


It was something fun to do on the 4th! Next year our group hopes to all do the Peach Tree 10K in Atlanta, GA.  I love these crazy people... we are always looking for our next run adventure.. :>) 

Now it's 13 weeks till IRONMAN... time is passing by so FAST!  In the last 7 days I've had 4 runs total 23.5 miles, 2 swims total 5,025 yards, & biked 60.1 miles...  This weekend will be my lighter weekend with bike and run and I'm headed back to the beach for a WEEK.  YIPPIE.  My family is headed to Destin and I hope we have a nice relaxing time.  I need a little break.  Of course my training will continue.  I've already found a pool where I can go swim to get my swims in for the week. :>)  But for the rest of the day I won't be at a desk working... I'll be reading a book and listening to the waves I hope. :>)  

Happy 4th of July to all of you! Hope you had a great one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying Pig Marathon - 5/4/24

  Last marathon for me until the Fall. 🙌🙌🙌😁 3 weeks after Boston another marathon.. say what.. ha ... I think we actually registered for...