Sunday, August 25, 2019

T-5 Weeks ... 34 days to Ironman Chatty!!!

Grueling week... 


Monday - Rest Day --- Yay me

Tuesday - 3,200 yard swim .... felt pretty good most of the swim.  My swim goggles leaked in the beginning so my eye was burning pretty bad by the end.  I had something scratching my eye real bad on Sunday so the cloudy water at the pool that looked like it needed to be shocked really irritated my eye.  Everyone at work asked me what was wrong with my eye on Tuesday :( 

Wednesday - 40 min am swim & 1 hour bike pm ...  Didn't go to swim.  My eye was still extremely irritated.  I guess something scratched the cornea again :(  Decided I didn't need to get in that water and hopefully by Friday my eye will be much better for my long swim.  
Bike - did a 45 min hill climb with Matt.. it was a killer hill! He simulated Tour De France... he even said at the end... "don't hate me... I know normally my rides aren't this hard".   :>)  Then cooled down with a 10 min cool down ride with Matt.  Love me some Matt at Peloton!  Just look at that smile! What isn't there to like? :>)  This was right at the beginning before we started class. 



Thursday - Run - HILL Repeats! GRRRRR  but I got it done.  Everyone keeps telling me to quit worrying about the hills on the bike and to worry about the hills on the run.  There are a few small hills in my neighborhood that I typically run, but there is a monster hill at my office.  So I decided to run after work and do 6 hill repeats on that monster hill.  I was drenched with sweat when I was done.  I warmed up and did 3 and then ran a mile and did 3 more.  It kills my knees just to go down this hill. :(  You feel like you might fall it's so steep. 




Friday - LONG SWIM 3,800 yards ..... even though it's hard for me to get in a long swim b4 work, I decided to make my butt get to pool at 5am and meet Jennifer and get it done.  She got done a few minutes before me.  She texted me a screen shot of her time afterwards and said she had her best swim.  She averaged 2.20 per 100 yards and it looked like she was just going easy with a long glide!  I felt like I was swimming fast for over half my time and I only averaged 2.40!  I was so aggravated.  I have a bad habit of not kicking.  I will be thinking about my stroke and keeping my head down and then I'll realize that I'm just dragging my legs. GEEZ!  I'm proud of Jenn!  I talked her into this ironman a couple of months ago and she's coming a long way in distance.  She was always FAST at EVERYTHING... but she had never done long distance.  She's doing really good and I'm proud of her.  She also reminded me that what was important was that I got my long swim in!  2.2 miles done before work! Yeah me!  Now I could rest up before my LONG weekend which includes a 100 mile bike and 20 mile run. Geez Louise! 

Saturday - 20 mile run  .... originally Lisa had me down for 100 mile bike on Saturday and 20 mile run on Sunday.  But then we found out the Southern Magnolia group was having a practice bike ride on Sunday on those Stone county hills so we swapped my Saturday & Sunday workouts.  

So Jennifer and I meet at 6am on Saturday for a 20 mile run. She said she may only do like 15 since the most she had ran was 8 or 9 miles lately.  Even though we meet at the same time, we didn't run together.  Our pace is different right now especially with me doing my jog/walk program.   Sometimes you have to just run your own pace especially when you are getting ready for a race.  I told her I'd try to keep her in my sights. ha.   To my surprise I wasn't far behind her on the first 10 mile loop.  I felt good and I probably ran a tad faster than I should have on my run intervals.  LOL. We had decided to do 2 10 mile loops so we could at least pass each other maybe a couple of times and encourage each other and also be close to our vehicles.  Jennifer wanted to be able to change clothes if needed.... and she did... she changed clothes and shoes after the 1st loop.   I then wished I had done the same.  We were soaked!  It was so humid.  You could hear the water sloshing in my shoes.  I was also having the feeling that I was getting very raw in a place you don't want to be raw.   When I stopped for the bathroom on the 2nd loop, I almost cried when I went to the bathroom.  Talk about burning!!! OMG it was bad.  I was so glad when I was back at my vehicle and the 20 was done.  No cramps! Yeah me! And Jennifer did 20!  I was so proud of her!!  Also saw several friends out running that all cheered me on.  I almost burst into tears one time just thinking about all the people cheering me on and telling me I can do this!  I sure hope I don't disappoint them this time and complete this race.  I just feel so blessed to have such good cheerleaders in my life! :>) 


 Now my legs were super tired and stiff and my toes kept trying to cramp up when I was trying to change clothes, but I was more worried about my private area.  When I got home I went straight to the garbage to see if I had put on the wrong chaffing cream. This is what I used.  I WON'T be using this again!! I must be allergic to something in it.  Regular vaseline for me from now on!


 It had literally scalded me!  I looked like a baby that had a bad diaper for days.  I screamed when I got in the shower.  OH it was so painful!  I found some cream and doctored myself up as my husband laughed.  Thank goodness for this stuff...


I couldn't put on any panties, but at least I felt better ..... I know TMI... but TRUTH... not all things about training for an ironman is fun... hee hee

Sunday - Long bike ... SoMag had shortened the 100 miler to 73, but with the hills I know the would still be good for me. I think they didn't have enough volunteers helping to support 100 milers.  However, when Jennifer and I got there to register, we were told that there was a 4 hour limit on the 73 miles.   They didn't want you to do it unless you could average 18.4 mph to make the 4 hour time limit and that was with stopping at aid stations so that meant you really had to be faster than that!  Since my butt was still so raw and I don't normally bike that fast on long distance, I knew I could not make that time limit so I ended up just doing the 56 miles.  I rode constantly putting all my weight on my arms so I could lift my butt off my saddle.   Trust me it was not a good feeling down there while riding.  I did however try to push it as much as I could since I was only doing 56 miles.  I average 18.1 at the half way point and finished with 17.5 average overall.  I was pleased with that especially on tired legs from the 20 miler, hills, and my current situation going on down below... 


Here's the elevation... looks like only 2 really big hills...but trust me that's not what it felt like.. ha For those that have done the Cultivation Nation TRI, you know these hills well.. cause we rode that route plus more.



We had us a great workout weekend! NO CRAMPS ... 


Well, that's a wrap on another week of training.  I'm glad to of survived.  I actually feel pretty good except for a certain area... ha.   Now to rest and see what's on tap for next week..... 34 days and counting until the big day!

D




No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying Pig Marathon - 5/4/24

  Last marathon for me until the Fall. 🙌🙌🙌😁 3 weeks after Boston another marathon.. say what.. ha ... I think we actually registered for...