Saturday, August 15, 2015

Past Times - missing my grandmother

All week my mind has been drifting to my grandmother.  I guess it's mainly because the anniversary of her death is coming up on August 26.  It's been 21 years, but I still miss her all the time.  I grew up living next door to my grandparents and spent so much time at their house.  As I'm sitting her tonight on my porch listening to the hummingbirds that are coming to my feeder to get water and the sounds off in the distance of families outside enjoying the nice evening, it reminds me of Saturdays with her.  Do you remember sitting around shelling peas with your grandparents?  Boy I do! Purple fingers and all! :>)  And I sure MISS those simpler days!  Or maybe today we just make things more complicated instead of taking the time to stop and just enjoy our families more........ 



My grandmother was one of the best cooks ever!  And on Saturdays she use to cook a big meal.  The men would work in the hay fields or with the cows and she would have a big old lunch ready around noon.  I would sit and watch her and listen to all the directions very closely and as I got older I helped her cook.  And don't think she couldn't also go out and work the cows because she could do that also.  She was like a superwoman to me.  She did it all.  She sewed, cooked, gardened, raised 4 kids, and had plenty of time for us grand kids.  I learned so much from her.  She was just taken away from us too soon.  I guess with school also starting this month it always reminds me of her death.  See she was hit by an Amtrak train.  It happen right in front of the Moselle school.  The crossing at that time did not have the arm that went down to stop cars when trains were coming.  We are not sure what happen.  We don't know if she never saw the train or if her car stalled on the tracks.  My grandfather had died the year before of a heart attack and she was very lonely without him.  They were glued at the hip when he was alive! Even in their older years you would often see them walking out in the pasture holding hands to go check the cows.  I remember thinking as a child that I wanted a marriage just like that.  I was always told stories by my mom and aunt how my grandparents use to go out dancing when they were young.  


Aren't they cute?! :>)


My grandmother had Indian blood/roots.  I'm like 1/8 or maybe it's 1/16 Indian.... I can't remember exactly.  It's not enough to count is all I do know. LOL  I believe I got a lot of my strength and determination from my grandmother! and then next my mom! They both superwoman! :>)  
Here's a picture of her and my granddaddy in color....
I sure miss these two but I know they are in heaven together. 

I remember the day she died like yesterday because a friend of mine that is a teacher at Moselle called me at work and told me to drive to Forrest General now.  I asked her what was wrong and all she would tell me is that my grandmother had been hit by the train while the kids were at recess at school and they were transporting her to Forrest General.  I left work immediately, however when I reached the hospital they told me she did not make it.  My world was crushed.  She was the first person in my life that I was extremely close to that I had lost.  It took me years to be able to drive across a train crossing without getting sick to my stomach or with big old tears in my eyes.  

Why am I writing about this tonight?  I'm not real sure except that I kept thinking about life and how short it is.  Maybe as I've gotten older I think more deeply about things. Or maybe it's the fact that I've lost classmates, had friends that have lost their children, and friends that are losing their parents.  We seem to all stay so busy in our lives that we rarely stop and smell the roses.  I've tried over the last few years to take time to do more things with my parents.  Sometimes it's hard when your job is demanding, you are raising a family, and you have obligations in the community, but I believe we must all strive to make time.  Spend some time with your love ones because we aren't promised tomorrow.  Life's too short not too!  



May you all have a great rest of the weekend! As for me, I'm bout to hit the hay.  My week consisted of 30 miles running, 2 miles swimming & 15 miles biking.  Got to keep hammering and building that strong base.  New York marathon is in 77 days!! That's just a little over 2 months!  YIKES.  I'm excited to run through the 5 boroughs. :>)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Half Marathon #50 for me! Run the Rainbow for the Children's Hospital in Jackson, Ms

  Saturday, March 16, 2024 I ran my 50th half marathon.  WOW!  never in a million years when I was younger would I have thought I would or e...