Saturday, August 8, 2015

Small Acts of Kindness

Have you ever been feeling down, worn out or just plain distraught? Yesterday morning my sister in law text me asking for prayers.  They moved their son to a new school and he was already upset and not wanting to go before they even left the house.  My daughter teaches at the school so she was going to meet them and walk JP inside.  We were not sure how that would go either because he's never stayed with Erin.  So I stopped getting ready for work and said a prayer.  I was thinking about it the whole time I finished getting ready wondering how the situation had turned out.  I knew if JP got real upset then it would be over with for my sister in law.  To my surprise she text me and told me that my daughter made her cry.  Then I worried more so I text  her back and told her I was sorry.  She then told me that I had misunderstood her.  What she meant was the small act of kindness of Erin taking JP's hand and walking him in was so very sweet and touched her heart.  That then made me tear up cause I tell Erin often to treat others with the fruits of the spirit and normally people will return that same gesture back to you.  We all want people to treat us kindly.  

A couple weeks ago I was teaching Sunday school (we rotate at my church) and I had a visiting child.  I was so shocked when I mentioned the fruits of the spirit and she named each one! She was only 8 years old!  I think we should all teach our children to show kindness.  Well, after work yesterday I went for my mile swim.  I was dreading it as usual.  I just haven't got that "eye of the tiger" feeling for swim yet.  It's probably cause I'm still figuring it all out with the proper way to swim and I'm impatient! I want it to be like my run and bike...easy. ha   Anyway, when I arrived my friend Jenn was finishing her swim.  She's the one training for an ironman so she swims like 3X the laps I swim! She called me over before I started and told me she wanted to talk to me.  She went on to tell me tips on swimming and the whole time reassuring me that it will keep gradually improving.  She was so positive and after she left my swim was the BEST swim I've had in weeks!  She put an ease over me that I can't explain.  I was at peace swimming and not fighting the water.  As I was swimming I thought about the comment my sister in law had made earlier that morning about Erin's small act of kindness with JP and what it meant to her and I had to text Jenn as soon as I finished my swim to tell her that her words meant so much to me!  You never know what is going on deep inside a person's head.  You can do or say just the right thing to put them at peace with a small act of kindness.  THANK YOU JENN!


Well today is Saturday and I just finished my long run which was just 8 miles this week....had a little taper week.  I enjoyed my run with my teammate Kathy! It was hot but we survived because we did it early which I'm glad we did cause now I've got to get ready for work..UGHHHHHH Yep, on a SATURDAY! Not often but it does happen.  boooo hooooo


Kathy and I stretching after our 8 miler. :>)  She's a hoot! She'll be doing her first marathon in December with us at St. Jude.  I'm so excited for her! 

My week:
45 mile bike miles
20.2 run miles
2 swim miles

Happy training peeps!  Delight in the victories of others! Each day provides countless opportunities to encourage others! 

"Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing." 
 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Have a Bless Day!  Capt'n D Team Run4TheKids





No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...