Thursday, December 28, 2017

Au revoir Au revoir 2017

Yep.... bye bye 2017 

It’s that time of the year where people reflect back on the past year. They try to figure out what went wrong on things that didn’t go their way and they celebrate the things that did go their way.  I too have done this most years.  But this year I don’t really want to think about some things that happen.  For there is one thing I know for certain, you can’t change the past. You can only move forward.  That’s my plan for 2018.   But first a glance at 2017 just to help me get my thoughts together.  

1. The year started off great.  I completed the Dopey challenge at Disney and had a wonderful time with my mom.   (Note...can’t imagine doing 48.6 miles in 4 days right now).

Recap of races:
9 1/2 marathons
1 Full marathon
1 20 K
2 10 Ks
Couple of 5 Ks
3 sprint TRIs
1 almost half Ironman (swim canceled) so .. 69.1 miler.. ha

2.  I improved my swim time at the first Sprint TRI in April. I was super excited about this. 

3.  Once again I pushed an Arc child at the Rise and Shine half marathon.  What a honor.  I love seeing those kids smile.  

4.  I ended up taking most of the summer off due to bursitis in my hip.  It was not fun and I was grumpy. Ha.  I did take my mom, my sis and her girls and my daughter to the beach for a few days and we celebrated my niece graduating high school.   I love family trips!!! I had hoped to have my bladder surgery that I had been putting off during this time when I was not running due to bursitis, but the cards didn’t fall right for me to do that.  Crazy insurance makes you have a bladder test to show you need the surgery and the lady that does the test comes from Jackson to Hattiesburg once a month!! By the time I got in for the test it was time for me to train for the Vegas and St Jude half so I elected to put surgery off till December 18. (Note.... in hindsight I will never ever schedule what is supposed to be a simple surgery around the holidays. Thanks to complications it’s been a miserable holiday).     Vegas was so much fun!! It’s a race I’d do again! And seeing the Hoover dam, Route 66 and the Grand Canyon was just icing on the cake!!  And so course St Jude is always my one race every year that is very special to me. Honored to do it for the 5th year in a row. 

5. I thought watching my husband grieve losing his father in August was the worst grief I had seen up close until he lost his son on October 31.   Our lives have changed drastically.  It’s a Day by day thing with Gary.   My heart breaks for him.  It was a very emotional holiday.  Gary says he’ll never be the same.  I’m at a loss as how to help him.   It’s hard with me having my own kids and him having his own kids.  There are things I want to celebrate like my son getting his first house, but I feel bad and don’t say much around
Gary with him missing his own baby boy.  I can’t explain it. It’s just hard.  I dont recommend divorce or remarriage at all.  It’s always been a struggle. .... but ..... I can’t change the past.  Move forward. 

6.  It’s 3 days till 2018 and honestly I haven’t set any goals.  I have a half marathon in 4 weeks and a full marathon in 10 weeks and currently I’m not allowed to run due to my bladder complications.   (Note... guess I’ll walk those if I can make the time limit). 


So what am I going to do in 2018?..  first and foremost I hope to spread love.  I want to be more like Drew, my stepson we lost.   He always had a smile on his face and a kind word for everyone.   I figure if I can spread Love the way God intended us to that other things will fall in place.  No need to worry.  Heck most the things we worry about never happen so it’s wasted energy.  Ha. 

The only big race I have registered for and booked my travel for is a marathon in Hawaii in June.  I’m going to make a vacation out of it.... taking my daughter.  I asked both my husband and son also, but Gary said he didn’t want to go and Brett said he didn’t think he could ride a plane that long. Ha.  So it  will be a girls week. I’m excited. 

Now I’ve got to get busy as soon as the doctor releases me! I’ve gained 10 pounds with all this  downtime the last few months.  I feel bloated and miserable.  It’s time to get serious and stick to a  plan in 2018!  We are getting a gym at our office in a few months and I plan to use it at lunch to try to get this old body back in shape. I’ve fell off the wagon big time and need to get back on.  I know  
neither Gary’s dad or Drew would want us to continue to mope around.   Yes, I’m goimg to be sad every time I think of them, but I’ve got to get out of this depressed funk and also help Gary out of his.     



Maybe more to come later as I rest the next few days ....... 
D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Boston Marathon Weekend 2024 (Part 1 - Travel with mom)

  I decided to break this post into 2 parts because there is just so much to share about Boston. πŸ’›πŸ’™ First, my mom went with me to Boston. ...