Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Gulf Coast Soak up the Run Half Marathon #32


 



A flat race down highway 90 along the beach.  What more could you ask for to end the year? Not to mention the cool looking medal.  They also had a very cool print that I picked up at the expo and will have framed.  I don't have a picture of it and already dropped it off at the print shop so I'll have to add that later.  It's going to look awesome either in my office or at home in my medal room. :<>) 

I went to the coast with two of my very good friends for the race.  They were also doing the half.  They have both been so dear and sweet in helping me through this difficult time that our family has been having.  I can't say THANK YOU enough to them!  We shared rooms that joined.  We went to see the Christmas decorations at the Beau Rivage and ate supper at McElroy's Seafood the night before the race.  

Us at the Beau

Race morning came early!  We had to catch a shuttle right outside our hotel no later than 5:45am to take us to the start line since we would run back to the finish line that was directly across from our hotel.  I was hoping we would run into my friend Robbie who was also doing the half... and we did... :<>)

Me, Krista, Frank, & Robbie waiting to start.. boy it was COLD... 32 degrees!

We all quickly warmed up when the race started.  But never got really hot because the temperature only warmed up to 47 degrees by the time I finished.



Finish line..  


I was glad the race was over..... my big toe joint was killing me and for some crazy reason I developed two blisters on my foot.  Seems no matter the socks or shoes I try... I still get blisters.  And the course change this year taking us on the overpass bridge that was a complete slant really aggravated those blisters. grrrrrrrrr

They always have a ton of food items after the race.  It's one of the biggest after parties that I've seen at a race.  Check out the booths:





We all 3 quickly showered and headed back to Mississippi.  It had snowed on Friday and I was hoping there was still some snow on the ground..... and guess what??  there was a little...


Got a picture in my backyard with my medal on the snow/ice that hadn't melted completely.  Who would have thought the Soak of the Run race in Mississippi would be the same weekend we'd get snow?  It's RARE to get 5-6 inches of snow in MISSISSIPPI! And boy it was beautiful.  I'll have to make a post with some of my pictures.  It could be several years before we see that much snow again. 

Well, that's a wrap for my 2017 races.  I'm having bladder surgery next week and will not be allowed to run for 4 weeks.  My plan is just to try to enjoy the holidays as much as possible and recover after surgery.  The holidays are going to be tough for us.  But I know with God's help we can get through it.


MISSING JIM HE WAS THE BEST FATHER-IN-LAW


MISSING DREW - WONDERFUL, SWEET STEP-SON


Amen,
D

P.S.   --- IT'S TIME TO START THINKING OF 2018 GOALS...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Half Marathon #50 for me! Run the Rainbow for the Children's Hospital in Jackson, Ms

  Saturday, March 16, 2024 I ran my 50th half marathon.  WOW!  never in a million years when I was younger would I have thought I would or e...