Monday, May 6, 2019

Natchez Trace Bike Ride 5-4-19

Natchez Trace Bike Ride 5-4-19



Another training day for me.  This time in Jackson on the Natchez Trace.  I really love this course.... when it's not raining.  I'm so glad that this year I was not doing the 100 miler again because last year I rode 80 of the 100 miles in complete rain.  The forecast for Saturday's ride was 100% rain starting around mid-morning.  Lucky for me it was taper week and I only had the 25 mile ride on tap.  

I kind of hated driving to Jackson just for 25 miles, but I had other plans too.  I was in a need of new running shoes and wanted to go by Fleet Feet to use my discount card I had gotten at a recent race.  When buying good running shoes I need all the discounts I can get. :>)  

It was an early morning at 4am getting up and heading out.  The drive was nice and quiet being it was just me.  Again... my friends all had other things going on or wanted to skip due to the forecast.  I was shocked when I arrived that the parking lot was already slam full.  The rain did not deter people from coming out to ride.  It was a full house.  The 100 milers left out at 7am.   The shorter distances left out at 7:15am.  I saw my friend Sonya and we talked for a few minutes and then we were off.  The weather was nice.  Just a tad humid.  It felt great to be riding.  My body felt great.  I begin passing several people.  Soon I was way out ahead with 7 guys.  They were all drafting and hollered at me and told me to hang with them.  I just laughed and told them I didn't like to draft.  One of them hollered back and said, "oh you superwoman and want to do all the work yourself".   I just smiled at him.  It's in no way that I want to be superwoman.  I just get very nervous when drafting and all the bikes are like 6-8 inches apart.  If one little thing goes wrong, the whole bunch can go down... I've seen it happen.  

I couldn't get way in front of them because they were going pretty fast so we kept going around each other several times.  I was so glad when they told me they were doing the 50 miler because when I turned at half way, I was rid of them. LOL  I will say they did keep my speed up by me trying to prove to them I could ride like them. ..... you know..... that crazy inside voice telling you to prove them wrong... LOL

Anyway, it was a great ride.  I was very pleased with my time.  I can tell my body is getting stronger.  I actually came in first.  It's not a race, so they don't give out awards.  Heck the didn't even have a timing mat or anything.  Just a finish line.  However, they do give out nice finisher medals. :>)  We got some nice swag too...

 A bag & a shirt.



Here's the finish line.  I had some random stranger take the picture since I was alone.  

Here's my time:



As soon as I got my bike loaded, the rain started.  I was thrilled to be done!  I headed to Fleet Feet and got me 2 new pair of shoes and 3 new pair of socks.  Cost me a small fortune, but I've learned that our feet are so very important.  We have to take care of them.  They take the full load of our bodies on them.  Fleet Feet is a great store.  They will put you on a machine that tells them what shoes work best with your type foot.  If you haven't had that done, you should go get it done if you are a runner.  It's free at most running stores.  

Well, that's a wrap on another training bike ride.  This coming up weekend I have a BIG race.  I've tried not to think or talk about it.  Been just taking it one day at a time.  Everyday I just pray for God to let me complete whatever training is on my schedule or race with no injuries.  The race is a half ironman.  It is also training leading up to the full ironman later this year, however, it's a race... which means I'll get NERVOUS.  And the swim is in the ocean!  Last time I did this race the swim was canceled due to the rip tides.  I'm praying for smooth waters on Saturday this year.  My mom is going with me since it's Mother's Day weekend.  I'm very excited that we get to spend the weekend in Florida together.  

I'll be focused on this Bible verse for my race:

Psalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying Pig Marathon - 5/4/24

  Last marathon for me until the Fall. 🙌🙌🙌😁 3 weeks after Boston another marathon.. say what.. ha ... I think we actually registered for...