Monday, April 29, 2019

Dream Bike Ride 4-27-19


Long Bike Day..... I love doing these rides to get in my long bike workouts.  Especially when it's for a great organization like Dream of Hattiesburg!  My plan was to do the 65 mile loop per my coach.  Everything for me is training these days leading up to that big race in September.  :>) 

The Hattie Hundred is a cycling event. All proceeds go to DREAM a local non-profit that works with youth and families to address the prevention of bullying, suicide, alcohol, tobacco, and other drug abuse.

I had attached my new "sound defense" to test it out.  I figured I wouldn't need it on the trace for dogs, but wanted to see how it rode and if it aggravated me where I had attached it.  I did blow it close to Bassfield at a dog and he shut up immediately and sat down.  I sure hope that is the case the next time I'm out on the road biking.  I'm so sick of aggressive dogs trying to get me on my bike!! 

 Bib and Shirt... Love the soft cotton shirt this year! 

The morning was perfect.  Cool and sunny.  I was a tad sad that none of my friends were doing the ride this year.  Some times every one's schedules don't workout for you to all be together.  That's when we must have that strong since of dedication to go ahead and get in our workout even when we do it alone.  I had hoped that I'd end up riding close to a couple of people, but that didn't work out.  It kind of started out that way, but a group of bikers kept trying to draft off me.  I was getting so frustrated!  Drafting isn't legal in ironman races so there is no need for me to practice it.  They were staying right up on my back tire.  It was making me so nervous.  I was so GLAD when they stopped at the first rest stop .... 15 miles into the ride.  I wasn't planning on stopping until the half way mark unless I just had to stop.  I kept going and then was all alone.  All the really fast riders were way ahead and others were stopping at every aid station.  

I didn't put in my ear buds so it was just me and nature.  I had a long talk with the good Lord and thought of so many things that needed to be done at my house. LOL  You can't wear ear buds in ironman races either so I need to go without them more during long bikes to be prepared for that LONG time on the bike.  I felt great.  I was moving along very nicely and kept thinking to myself that my time was going to be so much better than last year.  

A nice kid volunteering at the finish line offered to take my picture.  I was glad since I didn't have a group of my friends with me for us each to take each others pictures.  


 Rode in my bike shirt I got in Kona when I went to Hawaii last year. LOVE
 Nice finisher medals!  The people that rode the 100 miles got a nice railroad stake! 



Well.... to my disappointment... my time wasn't faster.  I was so surprised when I pulled up my results from last year on my garmin.  My overall speed was basically the same. 


 2018 bike results & 2019 bike results




I must of had to stop more for cars at all the crossings this year since my total average was slightly lower than last year, but my total moving average was the same... LOL  17.2 for both years.  I would have never thought that to be true.  I was telling 2 of my friends about my time and one of them made a very good point... She told me that to her that just showed I've made a good comeback since my accident.  I hadn't really thought about it that way.  I was more thinking I should have been faster this year.   But she's right! and that's why I love her.  She always gives me a different view.  I have improved because I was very skiddish after my accident.  I still have nerves and still see my accident while riding, but I'm much better than I was a couple months ago.  Thank you sweet Jesus.  Without him watching over me, I'm not sure what I'd do or how I'd do it.  I give him all the glory! :>) 

So it was a great day! Absolutely beautiful outside.  

I have another bike ride this coming weekend.  I'll only be doing the shorter distance since it's a taper week.  It's looking nice on the weather.  I'm glad for the ones riding 100 miles.  Last year I rode the 100 in complete rain on the Natchez Trace.  It wasn't fun.  

So that's a wrap on the Dream ride.  Training for ironman going well.  I feel my body getting stronger and my mind.  I did however, miss a TRI on Sunday.  I should have went to bed early to get up at 3am to travel to the coast, but that didn't happen so when my alarm went off, I turned it off.  I never do things like that.. ha   I think the good Lord had other plans for me like making sure I was at church since I have 2 weekends in a row coming up with out of town races.  I needed to work on some things at home too.  So I grabbed me a nice 5 mile run before church.  It felt good to shake out those bike legs. :>)  I was a tad disappointed I missed the TRI when I saw the race results and the ones that placed in my age group are slower than me.  Well let me say... I'm usually faster when things all fall right on race day.  Just cause I'm faster in training doesn't always mean the same on race day.  Too many things can impact race day. :>)    .... But oh well, I missed the race and must move on.  

Remember..... 


And always...



God bless you always!
D

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...