Monday, March 16, 2020

In a matter of days everything can change....... COVID-19 .... PANDEMIC

This time last month I would have never dreamed that the whole country would be shutting down due to a virus...Coronavirus...  COVID-19! Normally I would not be writing about this, but it's so rare!!  I mean the Flu is all over and many people die from it, but the country has never went into such a panic over the flu.  


We went from all is good to the CDC recommending not going to any large events... Started at 250 then nothing over 50 people.. and now today they saying 10 people! All sports at the schools are canceled.  Major sporting events canceled!  Spring break for the schools being extended.  Restaurants only doing takeout or drive thru business. Travel is shut down or limited.  Italy is on lock down!  It's now classified as a Pandemic!  I'm 53 years old and I have never seen such.  It's almost surreal.  I still come to work as usual and everything looks OK, but the higher ups are having daily meetings to discuss the situation and make decisions as what to do for our company.  When will it end?  Will it end???  As my preacher said yesterday we can't let the fear direct our lives.  We can't live in panic mode.  We must remember "who" is really in control and have faith.  Sometimes that can be hard with all the news media that is freaking so many people out.  Yesterday I ran in the store to grab a few things and I had been hearing and reading how shelves were empty, but I didn't get it really until I saw it in person!  No bread!  Even the frozen meat section was EMPTY!!  It was like people were preparing for a hurricane or something.  I feel bad for the people that are on a limited budget and only get paid at certain times because looked like so many were stocking up and taking everything!!!

Races all over the globe are also being canceled or postponed.  The Boston marathon was postponed till September 14!  I'm very thankful it's postponed because one of my dear sweet friends is running it this year.  She's worked so hard.  


 I knew when Boston was postponed that Big Sur would be next.  It's also a pretty big race and they have the back to back option linked with Boston.  I knew several were registered for that so I figured since it's also in April it would be next and Friday, March 13, we got the confirmation.  For now they are saying it's postponed till late summer or fall.  They are looking for a date.  That race is a tad different in that they have to shut down a main highway for 6-8 hours to have the race.  That all has to be approved, etc. 


So it may take the Big Sur a little longer to set a date than Boston did for their race.  I'm just hoping it will happen and they won't cancel it completely!  It's hard to get into the big races.  I was beyond thrilled to be going and taking my mom.  Seeing California for the first time.  So I'm praying it happens and also that this conronavirus mess goes away with warmer temps coming and all this madness doesn't extend into the fall because I have Chicago coming up in October (having a little pity party at the moment..).  I could end up having Big Sur and Chicago pretty close together if Big Sur finds a date close to Boston like they usually do for the Back to Back.  Hoping if that happens it all works out at work for me to be off to do both races since you don't get in on the lottery every year!

  Which I guess it's a good thing that my races in March & April are being canceled or postponed because I finally went to the doctor today to have my ankle/leg looked at from my spill I took at the MS50 last weekend.  It started as just a small bruise with a ton of pain in my lower calf after I rolled my ankle when I slipped in the mud.  Then the ankle really started to swell and turn colors.  Here are a few pictures:
Day 1...  mostly just bruising on lower side of leg



By Monday... (day 2)

 By Saturday .. 1 week out.. swelling going down .. foot doesn't hurt.. by can't stand to touch calf! or side of leg down to top of ankle bone.
Monday.. 9 days later .. blue both sides of foot now......   Still lots of pain .. so off to doctor

 Bad sprain/strain around ankle on tendons & ligaments and a calf tear. 


She doesn't think it's a complete tear because I have good range of motion so that's good.  Maybe it's just a bad strain.  Only a MRI will tell and we are going to wait on that and see if it gets better in 3 weeks.  So basically no running for me for the next 3-4 weeks.  I hope to get in some swims, but all the gyms are also closing so who knows if that will happen.  Guess it will be lots of ABS.. ha  Lordy... I need to run because I almost fell out when I had to weigh at the doc today.  I haven't weighed myself in a month or so and let's just say.... I may of gained some weight!!! which I have no idea how with all the miles I've been getting in.  Guess it's all the food and my dang slow metabolism at my age. 😏

And now the CDC is recommended all these precautions to go on the next 8 weeks!!! That will lead to the weekend of the 5K that my team Run4TheKids host to raise money for St. Jude!! So now I've got to watch that and possibly end up changing our date depending on how this all plays out.  

Now's the time to really turn to prayer.  Ask for God's guidance and direction around the world in all these decisions and pray this virus goes away soon.  So many are being effected by all of this.  People need to work.  Some kids need to go to school because that's where they get their meal for the day.  Businesses need to be open.  Travel needs to be open.  So Let's all join together in Prayer instead of Panic.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...