Thursday, June 4, 2020

Big Sur Marathon Canceled!

Big Sur that was originally scheduled for April, 2020 was postponed until November, 2020 after COVID-19 hit.   Well yesterday I got the dreaded email that I kind of figured I would get, but hoped I would not!

The 35th Annual Big Sur Marathon Has Been Cancelled


We are deeply sorry to announce the cancellation of the rescheduled November 15, 2020 Big Sur International Marathon events. The Big Sur Marathon Foundation's governance board made this difficult decision as they continued to monitor updates from county, state, federal, and international public safety and health agencies regarding the global coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Since we last communicated with you on April 13, California adopted a comprehensive reopening plan. In this plan, it now appears that mass gathering events like our weekend of races will not be possible until the final reopening phase when a vaccine or other therapeutics are widely available.


Our highest priority is always the safety of our participants, volunteers, friends and family, and residents. There are so many unknowns both with this virus and with the effects of it on large events. We were also very concerned about having access to needed public safety and medical officials, volunteers, and personal protection equipment and supplies during this ongoing crisis.


So depressing!  Now to cancel hotel room, flight, rental car, etc.  

I sure was hoping by November we would be allowed to race!  Now I'm pretty sure Chicago which is scheduled in October will announce soon that they are also cancelling.  ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข

It doesn't appear that 2020 was meant to be a year for road running or any other sports for that matter!!  Guess it's a good thing I did run in Louisiana and Mercedes back in January & February because that will probably be my only 2 marathons this year to run.   Hey, maybe it's a blessing.  Giving my body time to recover and strengthen.....  I'm going to think positive and not negative with all this mess!  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying Pig Marathon - 5/4/24

  Last marathon for me until the Fall. ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ˜ 3 weeks after Boston another marathon.. say what.. ha ... I think we actually registered for...