Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Snickers Marathon - VIRTUAL 4-17-21

 


Today is Wednesday and it's still hard to believe I ran a virtual marathon this past weekend!  I've only ran 2 other virtual marathons and they are not my favorite.  My 2nd marathon I ever ran was virtual.  I had ran my first one back in 2011 and in 2013 I finally decided I was ready again.  I was all geared up to run St. Jude in Memphis and then it was canceled due to ice storm.  So I ran it at home virtually.  My good friend Frank rode his bike beside me to keep me company.  What a blessing! 😍  Then last year when COVID hit, I had several races canceled, but I only decided to run one virtually and that was Big Sur.  I talked 2 of my friends (Michelle & Candy) into running with me that day.  They did the whole 26.2 miles with me.  Again what a blessing! 😍

The snickers marathon was originally in Georgia on April 17.  Several of us girls had registered and were so looking forward to a girls weekend!  We had it all planned out.  I had put in for vacation days on Friday & Monday for a nice long weekend. 😃 and then BAM... race is canceled due to COVID.  They  offered us a couple of options.  We could defer to 2022 or we could defer to 2022 and also do it virtually on the original date.  We were all disappointed, but we got to talking and decided we would do it virtually.  Then we decided if we were going to the trouble to run 26.2 miles, we would head down to the beach and do it at the Gulf State Park Trails and still have a girls weekend!  I was super pumped about that!  Nothing better than running 26.2 miles when you are doing it with friends!  This would be my 22 lifetime marathon.  I should be around 26, but so many canceled in 2020 😞

Well then life decided to throw a wrench in all our plans.  Let's see... Candy had something with grands, Michelle was having hip issues after the Hattiesburg half, & Penny was having stomach issues after her bout with COVID.  AND it was calling for RAIN all weekend in Gulf Shores! 😔  The week of April 17th, Penny & Michelle both made the decision to not go.  They were neither 100% health wise and decided with the rain it would not be fun sitting on the beach waiting on me to run. 😂  I totally understood and could not be mad at them at all.  

So I thought about it and decided what the heck... I was going to go ahead and go.  I have a good friend, Robbie that lives there and I could see her and I could also run on the trails that she has bragged about for a couple of years.  😀  I knew it wasn't going to be fun running 26.2 miles alone, but I put on my game face and said, YOU CAN DO THIS!  Then I checked the weather again and decided it would totally be up to GOD if I was to get those miles in.  I began to PRAY> 100% rain on Saturday! GEEZ


However, my friend Robbie that lives there was also watching the radar closely.  She told me that she felt like I had a couple of hours that morning after the first wave of thunderstorms rolled out to get in some miles before the next wave would hit.  I wasn't sure if I was going to get the whole 26.2 miles in, but I was determined.  The race organization for Snickers had sent us a timing app that we were to use during the virtual so that our results would be submitted to prove we did the distance and then they would mail us our goody bag.  So you know me... I was even more determined to try to get the full distance in.  I don't mind running in rain as long as their is no lightening.  

Robbie and I meet up on Friday and visited and went to supper together.  It was so nice seeing her.  She's been having some feet issues so she's not running long distance right now or I would have tried to talk her into running with me... hee hee   Here we are after supper. 


I was so happy that Michelle had booked us a room at the Gulf State Lodge right there at the trails.  She added my name to the room so I wouldn't have a problem checking in without her.  The place is AMAZING.  I've never thought much about it from the outside.  It's nothing fancy.  But it's really nice on the inside and they are so eco friendly.  Even the condensation from the AC units supplies the water for the pool there! WOW... I had never heard of that before! 

I was also very happy I could walk outside and get right on the trails.  I didn't have to drive anywhere.  The trails are AWESOME.  They are all labeled and it even tells you the distance.  I had already worked me out a course on my Garmin app so I wouldn't get lost, but after a couple of miles, I decided to just run and explore the little trails that would turn off or make a loop and come back to the one you were on.  I'm so glad I did because my map had me making one big loop around the edge that was like 12.7 miles so I was going to have to loop it 2X plus some to get the 26.2 miles.  With me changing my stradegy, I was at mile 21 when I got back to my starting point so I only had to go back out a few miles and turn around to get my 26.2 miles!  And the race app was pretty cool.  Each mile it told you what your pace was and what your predicted finish time was based on your pace.  It kind of kept me going.  Not to mention I listened to a couple of Peloton running workouts, a podcast, and my devotion from First 5 app. 😍  Now I wasn't out there racing.... like trying to be super fast.  I just ran a good steady pace and took several walk breaks to take pictures and go to the bathroom 3-4 times.  I was pleased with my 5:29 time with all my breaks.  😀  Plus I did my easy jog 2 min, walk 1 min program.  That's the time the race app gave me.  You couldn't stop it unless you quit or it stopped automatically when you reached your distance.  Now I did stop my watch when I went to the bathroom and a couple of times when trying to get pics so my watch time was 5:11.. which was my actually moving time. 😀  I was pretty pumped about it since I had no friends running with me! AND I needed redemption from my awful time at the Gulf Coast Marathon back in December!  Which I have to remind myself my hip was killing me that day and I ended up walking a TON!  Snickers was not a fast marathon by no means, but being all alone running a marathon distance isn't easy.  You really got to have your mind sit. 🙏  Believe me... I didn't do it ALONE... I had the GOOD LORD with me every step. 🙏💓 Philippians 4:13, Hebrews 12:1, Ezra 10:4   AND it was also very nice to have friends texting me while I was running check in on me.  The GOOD LORD has blessed me with some AMAZING FRIENDS!  Thanks Penny, Michelle, Robbie, Frank & Krista for all the texts that day! 💗

Here are some pics from the trails.  I encourage you if you are ever in Gulf Shores, Alabama go visit them. 










Inside the Lodge Lobby






My pizza when I finished! I was so thankful the Lodge had like 3 restaurants.  I grabbed this one out by the pool and took to my room.  Man it was so GOOD!  I ended up only having to run 6-7 miles in steady rain.  The rest of the miles were sunless miles with lots of clouds.  Thank you sweet Jesus for allowing me to get in my 26.2 miles. 🙏  I enjoyed the alone time just chilling in the room.  It RAINED all afternoon after my run.  I stretched, took a long hot bath, and just chilled.  It was AMAZING> 💋  My time is turned in so now I'll be waiting for the goody bag 😂  the things we runners do ... 😎

Got my finishers Certificate:



Well that's a wrap.  Praying Chicago marathon happens for me and Penny in October!  We have our room and plane tickets.  🙏  AND praying Boston happens for Ms Be in October also! 🙏  Races are slowing starting to come back but it all depends on the City & State as to whether they happen or get canceled due to COVID still.  So we just keep praying and training. 🙏




No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying Pig Marathon - 5/4/24

  Last marathon for me until the Fall. 🙌🙌🙌😁 3 weeks after Boston another marathon.. say what.. ha ... I think we actually registered for...