Saturday, October 3, 2015

Day 2 .... 2nd half... After Arlington

After a busy morning at Arlington, it was time for the rest of our schedule.  :>)  Yes, I love schedules.  I looked at my watch and told Gary that the trolleys should be running by now cause it was going on 1:30pm, so we headed to the front gate of Arlington to the trolley stop.  We didn't have to wait long and our trolley showed up.  We had a nice ride back to downtown without having to get back on the subway.  We were both thrilled.  Not that the subway is awful, but you don't see much while underground.  

 We took the trolley to our next stop on my schedule which was the Holocaust museum.  Gary said this was one place that wasn't in DC 25 years ago when he'd been with his kids so he really wanted to see this museum.  I wasn't as thrilled about that, but gave him his wish.  To my surpirse it was done very tastefully.  They even had one wall where kids had painted tiles that were on display.  It was beautiful.

Kid's tile wall in Holocaust Museum

We were probably in the museum for around an hour.  My feet were getting tired, but I knew we still had things to see on my schedule.  As we were leaving, Gary said he was ready to find a sports bar where he could sit down and see some football.  Now.... this is Sunday and I had him traveling & at Mt. Vernon on Saturday, SEC day, and then Sunday, NFL day.  People think I'm addicted to posting on FB, well you should have seen how many times he had checked his phone for football scores!  Anyway, I was real sweet & told him the Washington monument was right around the corner and I wanted to go see it while we were in the area.  He frowned and took off walking as fast as he could.  I then started feeling bad so I told him we would just go find a place to sit down with TVs.  However, he would not stop walking and told me that we would just do what I wanted.  Don't ya just love husbands on trips?? ha  

Well, the Washington monument is really something.  It's very tall! I could not look up to see it all without my neck hurting.  You can go up in it if you like, but I wasn't going to push my luck at this point.  There are tons of flags all around the monument.  People were everywhere sitting on the grass around the monument.  Some where playing ball with their kids and others were just laying on blankets enjoying the day.  

Base of the Washington Monument

Washington Monument from a distance.

By this time it's going on 4pm.  I told Gary we need to go find a place for a quick supper because we had our night tour of the monuments at 7:00pm.  We had not eaten lunch because we had a fairly big breakfast at Union Station before Arlington.  However, I was getting HUNGRY.  I looked at the map trying to figure out what was our best option...... 1. find our trolley pick up stop.... 2. walk.... 3. or what???..... to find food.  As I was looking at the map (cause I'm the tour guide!), Gary asked me where we are heading.  So I tell him our options and he tells me real quick that I better be 100% sure I know where I'm going cause his knees are killing him and he's ready to sit down.  Talk about tension in the air!! I reassured him that I know what I'm doing, but just to make sure I stop and ask an officer that just happens to be standing around the Washington monument.  He tells me that I am going in the right direction and if we just keep walking a couple of blocks that we will be in Penn Quarter that has several places to eat.  I was thrilled!  We soon found a place that had TVs.  Gary was beyond thrilled now.  He is an avid football fan! He was so lost without his football fix on Saturday and now on Sunday. I can't even remember the name of the place where we ate, but the food was good.  We had an early supper and he caught up on football scores.  LOL  

As we were leaving, I told him we still had like an hour wait before our night tour.   We did not have time to walk back to our hotel so we needed something to do.  I looked at our map AGAIN (what would men do without women!) and I told him that the Ford's Theater, which he wanted to see, was on the way to where the night tour would start.  So we headed that way.  The Theater was already closed but at least he saw where it was at and could tell people he had been at the theater where Lincoln was shot.  

As we were walking, I noticed a Hard Rock Cafe right at the corner of the street we were on and it was also directly across from where the trolley would pick us up for the night tour, so I suggested we go sit down at their street side bar area and wait.  Gary liked that idea.  At this point any time we sit down, he was happy.  We grabbed us a table and order a picture of Sangrias.  There were delicious and it gave us a chance to rest and enjoy the night atmosphere in downtown.  We really do have a good time on trips even with the travel drama. ha 

 I took this selfie of us at Hard Rock. And let me say that I LOVE my prescription sun glasses!! I could read signs far off so I knew where we were going! LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM! Glad I finally sucked it up and bought a pair!

Soon it was time for our night tour.  The trolley driver was AWESOME!  He shared so much detail about Washington as he drove us to each monument.  The monuments were beautifully lit with lights.  I had forgot my extra lens for my camera so I really didn't get any fantastic pictures of the monuments at night.  It was just so dark.

The Lincoln Monument

Statute of Lincoln inside the Monument


Washington Monument with the reflection in the reflection pond.


The trolley stopped at each one of the monuments and we were allowed to get off and take pictures and then get back on the trolley.  I had no idea this tour was going to last 3 hours!  I had thought it would just drive around for maybe an hour.  We had left our room around 8:30am this day and didn't return until around 11:30pm! Talk about a long day!  Gary was ready to kill me.  He told me that his knees were killing him.  He said, "when you get my age you will know exactly how I feel".  I just laughed.  I was actually extremely tired myself because I felt like I was at Disney all over again.  I just hoped he would sleep so we could go again the next day because we had one more full day to see the things on my schedule! Hee Hee

  Oh and BTW.... I'm simply amazed at Washington, DC! Huge buildings with ungodly art work! Huge Monuments with marble steps! It's just AMAZING! We crashed again for the 2nd night in a row!

Day 3 .... coming up next. :>)












No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...