Monday, October 26, 2015

What's my plan? Do I have a plan?



Well it's 5 days till New York! I remember a few months ago it seemed like it was so very far away.  After months of training, it's time to let the hard work pay off.  I've had people ask me over the past couple of days things like... so what's ya plan?, what's ya pace goal?, what is your goal time to finish the marathon in? 

I've debated back and forth on this for probably 2 months.  I would love to beat my best marathon time of 4:30, but honestly I do not believe this is the race where I could aim for that goal mainly due to a couple of reasons.  First the race is going to be super crowded.  I read today that there are 52,800 runners! WOW!  Yes, we will start in 4 different waves and the waves are like 30 minutes apart, but still.... 52,000 people! I'm just amazed! The most runners I've ran with was like 22,000 in NOLA back in 2011.  However, I've read several marathon blogger post where they ran an excellent time in this race.  One lady claims she is just average, but yet she finished NY last year in 3:36! That's not average to me!  She's fast!  Second, my degenerate disk disease and my arthritis has progressed lately.  I'm currently having to wear a new pair of inserts in my shoes that cost $200 (insurance covered some cost thank goodness) due to my big toe joint.  It's starting to fall apart.  They call it osteonecrosis.  This is where the bone starts to die and may break down with the joint collapsing completely.  I was just thrilled to hear this info a couple weeks ago at my doctor's office.  See my grandfather had arthritis so bad he couldn't even straighten his fingers and now my dad is starting to show the same signs. So lately I've been doing more of Hal's run/walk programs when doing my long distance runs.  My body seems to like that much better. :>)  And I really want to run until I'm 100! I need to stay healthy.  And BTW exercise does help arthritis.  I may not be able to run fast for long, but I can always walk and still cross that finish line. 

Look at that CROWD!


So as for my plan...... I was first thinking I would do my run/walk program and not stress over time, but all the info they keep giving us to read talks about how crowded it will be and if you are running to please not stop abruptly and walk.  You must look behind you and weave all the way to the outside, raise your arm and then walk.  You don't want a runner behind you to run slam into you because you had to stop and walk all of a sudden. So I'm thinking of discarding that plan as of right now. 



I believe I will just listen to my body.  I will start slow and easy.  I will try to enjoy the experience.  If I do get so fatigued or hurting where I need to walk, I will weave over to the outside and walk.  There is no shame in walking in my book. To me it's more important to finish what you start then quitting.  Even your best marathoners may stop and walk 30-45 seconds here and there then start back running.  Some say that when you are running two marathons 4 weeks apart to treat the first marathon as a normal LSD run and not push it.  This is supposed to give your body time to recover and then you can push the 2nd marathon.  It says if you push too hard on the first marathon that your body won't recover in time for the 2nd marathon and you could end up injured.  You can read all kinds of advice on the running websites these days.  However, I am doing St. Jude marathon 4 weeks after NY so I do need to keep my body healthy so that I can finish my overall goal of running for the kids at St. Jude.  That race is very dear to my heart!  My run team, Run4TheKids, has collected over $33,000 in donations so far! I can't wait to see several of them run their first long distance race! It's going to be awesome sauce as my friend Jenn says! 

If you've never done a marathon, it will change you forever!  This will be my 5th marathon and each one has been so very different.  You never know what kind of day it will be on race day.  You may feel awesome or you may feel like crap.  The weather may be perfect or it can be crappy.  As for me, I know no matter how I feel on that day or what the weather is, my goal is to cross that finish line. No goal time, no pace time, ..just FINISH. 



A Runner's Prayer:

Run by my side, Lord 
Live in my heartbeat.  Give strength to my steps.  As the cold whirls around me, as the wind pushes me, I know you surround me.  As the sun warms me, as the rain cleanses me, I know you are touching me, Challenging me, loving me - And so I give you this run.  Thank you God, for matching my stride.  Amen 

Isaiah 41:10,13
~ Don't panic.  I'm with you.  There's no need to fear for I'm your God.  I'll give you strength.  I'll help you.  I, your God, have a firm grip on you & I'm not letting go. ~

Pray for me on November 1st as I run my 5th marathon! Pray for safety and for strength.  I'll pray and thank God for all of you as I run. :>) 
Love, D


No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...