Thursday, October 22, 2015

Who is Mo?

This post is in honor of my friend Maureen Higgins or “Mo” as her friends call her.  I meet Mo through a mutual running friend.  My friend had been running races with Mo for several years on the coast and kept telling me that she wanted me to meet her.  Finally in January of 2013 at the Gulf Coast Half Marathon at Lulus I got the opportunity to meet Mo.  Mo was so nice and asked all about my running.  I could tell right off that she had a passion for running.  I had just recently had neck surgery 2 months prior and my voice was still very weak from my damaged vocal cord at this time so I didn’t get to talk to her in depth like I would have loved to do because they had music playing, etc. in the background which made it very difficult to hear me (as it still does today! background noise makes it where no one can hear me good! so aggravating! but life so smile and accept it).    

Mo, Me and Robbie at Lulus after the Gulf Coast Half Marathon 2013

Right after I meet Mo she was diagnosed with stage four breast cancer.  I would get updates from my running buddy that had connections on the coast with people who checked in on Mo.  I had wondered if she was still running and every time I asked she was still running.  Even during her chemo she continued to run.  She said that running gave her hope.  I believe it also kept her sane while going through such a hard time but I honestly don’t know how she did it.  Chemo really zaps a person of all their energy.  I was amazed each time to hear that Mo was pushing through and running.  She was even doing races.  I begin to write her letters.  It took months before she finally wrote me back.  Mo isn’t big on letters. LOL  She told me how much my letters meant to her and she encouraged me to keep running.  Go figure…someone with CANCER who is struggling and still encouraging others.  That’s MO!   She is an early morning runner and her husband often follows her in his truck before daylight to make sure she’s safe.  

Mo & me at Double Bridge 15K 2014
I saw her again at the Double Bridge run.  She told me she had lost most of her hair and wouldn’t take off her cap.  I told her how amazing I thought she was going through cancer and still running races.   I could never tell how religious Mo was but I told her I had prayed and prayer for her.  She would smile and say “my Mississippi runner friend” to others as they would come up while we were talking.  I remember this race very vividly because I passed Mo as I was running and as I was passing her, she was steadily giving me pointers on running.  She’s known for being a mentor to other runners.  She says she enjoys it.  And let me just say she’s got a vast knowledge!  She has ran 148 marathons overall.  She will be returning to the Marine Corps Marathon this weekend for the 29th time at the age of 61! If you go to their website and click on their Hall of Fame she is listed in the class of 2014! 

Here’s the info: 

“Maureen Higgins, affectionately known as the ‘Leading Lady of the MCM,’ has crossed the finish line 27 times - the most of any woman - as of her Hall of Fame induction.  Higgins was diagnosed and treated for stage 4 breast cancer in 2013, and heroically completed the MCM while undergoing chemotherapy. Now in remission, Higgins plans to continue participating in the MCM.  She boasts a personal record at the MCM of 3:53:00.
Mo running the MCM

Her Plans this year is to maintain a 12-minute mile and her nephew will pace her in the race for the 3rd year in a row.  She plans to run the MCM as long as she is breathing.  She once told me that the older we get the slower we will run but we can keep moving forward and still cross that finish line.  She’s such an inspiration!  This year she will not only be a runner, but she will be helping out at packet pickup handing out bibs so if you see her tell her that her Mississippi friend said hello. :>)   I mailed her a letter this week wishing her the best and I’ll be tracking her on Sunday.  Go MO GO! Maybe I’ll get to run her 150 marathon with her sometime in the future. :>)  I hope to be still running when I’m 61!  All you got to do is BELIEVE in yourself! :>) 


Good luck MO! MUAH!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Half Marathon #50 for me! Run the Rainbow for the Children's Hospital in Jackson, Ms

  Saturday, March 16, 2024 I ran my 50th half marathon.  WOW!  never in a million years when I was younger would I have thought I would or e...