Wednesday, September 30, 2015

George Washington's Mount Vernon….. Saturday


George Washington’s beloved Mount Vernon began as a one and one-half story farmhouse built in 1735 by his father, Augustine, and received its well-known name during the ownership of his half-brother Lawrence. George acquired Mount Vernon in 1754, and over the next 45 years slowly enlarged the dwelling to create the resplendent 21-room residence we see today.

Even though the concierge almost made me cry when we arrived at our hotel at 11:40am by telling me the last shuttle to Mount Vernon had left at 11am and there was no need for me to try to go on there for the afternoon, we DID!  I think he could see the tears welling up in my eyes.  See I had a very detailed schedule of how we would see DC in 3 days and when he started telling me that there was no need to try to get to Mount Vernon for the afternoon, my brain was going crazy thinking about how my schedule was already going to be screwed up.  Anyway…. He finally suggested we take the metro subway half way and then a taxi from there to get to Mount Vernon.  He said a taxi straight from hotel to there would be around $60 bucks one way! UGH….. So of course we decided to do the subway for 8 bucks!

Let’s just say the subway was a great big adventure!!!!! I could write a book on what all happen to us at the subway, but I will spare you the details.  Just know this….. There is NO ONE there to help you! You either figure it out on your own or you keep stopping people until you get someone that can actually speak English to help you.   What a NIGHTMARE!

Talk about crowded! It was so hot and smelled badly. 


Do we take red, yellow, blue or green....... OH MY

We arrived at Mount Vernon around 2pm.  Yes, that’s a couple hours travel time from the hotel even though in a normal city it would take maybe 30-40 minutes.  The subway took forever to figure out and then the taxi ride from the half-way point to Mt. Vernon took a while even though it was only like 15 miles.  Traffic in DC is CRAZY to say the least.   It was unseasonably hot!  Everyone kept saying they were having an “Indian Summer”.  I had no idea what that meant exactly.  All I knew was it was extremely HOT and HUMID. 

If you’ve ever been to Mount Vernon, you do a lot of walking and NOTHING is air conditioned.  Well, except for the gift shop and restaurant.   Mount Vernon is a beautiful place situated on the Potomac River.  I could have really enjoyed it if it hadn't been so darn HOT.  We did get a few minutes to sit on the porch of the house which overlooks the river which is breathe taking.  However, we didn’t get to sit long because the place was so very crowded and other people were waiting their turn to sit down.  It was the only spot out of the sun to rest a minute.  Inside the house we saw the bed that George & Martha shared.  After he died in that very same bed, she shut that room off and never slept there again.  His tomb is also on the property.  We were told that a couple of times they were asked to moved his body to Washington but it was not what the family wanted, so to this day George Washington is buried at Mount Vernon.
The porch that overlooks the river. Just look at all the people sitting on that porch. The front is not that pretty because they had scaffolds everywhere doing some repair work before winter.  The picture at the beginning of the blog is from a brochure to give you an idea of what the house really looks like when not being repaired.

The river

George Washington's tomb



Gary finally told me he was going back up to the gift shop for the air conditioner and I could continue to walk around if I wanted too.  So off he went and I’m walking around taking in the sights and wondering why the heck I’m still walking in the heat when I see this guy walking with a beer.  So I stopped him and asked where he got the cold beer.  He directed me to a bunch of white tents that were in this big field.  There were tents selling all kinds of stuff.   Most of the stuff was reminders of the past.  There were a few modern tents selling handmade soaps and lotions.  The last tent on the end had cold beer, water, and soft drinks. YIPPIE!  I quickly grabbed two and went to find Gary.  I knew he would be excited for me to bring him a cold beer.  And since we weren’t driving, we could actually have a beer. 




I was so very glad I had made us early dinner reservations at the Mount Vernon Inn because we didn’t have to leave and try to find somewhere to eat on our first night in DC.  Plus we had been traveling since 4am and I knew we would want an early supper so we could go to hotel and rest.  The Inn was attached to the gift shop which was perfect.  We had a very nice supper.  The food was great! The place was small and quaint.  We really enjoyed it and the AC.   We decided not to do subway back to hotel.  We used my Uber app and got us a taxi.  It was much better than subway and only cost us $12.99! We were ecstatic! Plus we were back in our room by 8pm and in the bed.  I don’t think we even talked.  We simply crashed!  Travel days are hard! And we added sightseeing into the travel day. 

That's it for the first day of DC. :>) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...