Sunday, September 13, 2015

Running to Win

Happy Sunday Peeps!


Earlier in the week I told some of my running buddies that I wanted to do a quick 5 minute devotion before our run on Sunday.  I normally do not run on Sundays because I love to go to church.  However, most long distance runners do run on Sunday.  I think they must get up extremely early if they make it to church because we started at 6am which meant me getting up at 5am to dress and drive 25 miles to where we were going to run and I did not make church.  

I actually woke up around 4:30am and starting watching the clock.  I guess I was excited.  Not sure why since I did a TRI yesterday and drove home from Gulf Shores afterwards but I was.  I was ready to do my 18 miles because the next time I have a really long run will be 20 miles and then it will be taper for the New York marathon!  Which means it's getting CLOSE.

I rolled out of bed at 4:45am and put a big crockpot of beef stew or vegetable soup as some call it on to cook so my hubby would have lunch.  He does NO cooking so I have to find things that I can leave cooking if I need to get in a long run.  


Yes, I'm a good wife. :>) 

Last night as I was trying to figure out what to say for our devotion before our run, I found an article titled "Running to Win".  It was just what I needed to read so I decided to share it with the team members that came to run this morning and I wanted to share it now with you.

See, let's face it. It's a dog-eat-dog world.  People are competitive in business, church, family, recreation and sports! There is no limit to the competitiveness.  My team is better than your team... my church is better than your church... and I could go on and on. We are pushed to succeed and win or we are considered a failure.  And you know what this leads to right? We constantly are comparing ourselves to others.  If we aren't winning, or out front, we are just losers among the crowd.  There is an expression in sports that sums of the worlds perspective that says, "Second place is first loser."

Sounds crazy when you read it, but it's so very true.  We've been trained to feel this way - it's how this crazy world works.  We must train ourselves to think differently because the kingdom of God doesn't work that way.  In 1 Corinthians 9, Paul writes, "Don't you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but WE do it for an eternal prize".   

Did you notice the word, "WE"?  You know we can all win!  We can all go to heaven because of what Jesus has done for us on the cross.  

We are all running our own race.  I'm not running your race, and you aren't running my race.  I won't be judged for you, and you won't be judged for me.  The Lord doesn't measure us against others.  Winning means making God proud.  Winning means walking out our faith daily.  Winning has nothing to do with how we measure up against others.  

As Paul said, RUN TO WIN!  Live for Jesus! Stop comparing yourself to others because God doesn't.  He will only judge you for you.  

What an awesome devotion! Yesterday I had a race and felt great then late in the evening I started looking at result times and questioning myself and comparing myself to others.  Then I read this and realized how wrong I was in doing so.  I'm only running one race and that's the race for GOD. :>) 

We had a short prayer after the devotion and then we were off.  Some had 12 miles, others had 14 miles and I had 18 miles to do.  We pretty much stayed together most of the time. I so enjoyed the fellowship this morning and what an awesome morning it was! It was 55 degrees when we started.  Now that is marathon training weather! We all felt great and ran very well.  

I captured the back of a couple of them running.  I hate I didn't get a picture with Be! She was way up ahead at this point.  She trains hard and she's one tough cookie.  


Frank and I did the 18 together.  He's great company and such a good friend.  


Afterwards I told Frank I was headed somewhere to get a quick breakfast.  It's important to fuel your body within 30 minutes of a long run.  So we headed to Ward's and had a great breakfast! 


While we were sitting there eating I was scrolling through Facebook and saw a picture that one of the runners posted from early that morning when they had finished before Frank and I.  They had moved my Disney World marathon sticker.  It's becoming a game with a couple of the team members.  They move it and wait for me to notice.  I had driven to Wards and never noticed it.  If I had not seen the picture on Facebook, I would probably still not know.  LOL  



So I took this picture and send it to them.  I love that we have such fun on our team! 

Go Team Run4TheKids! Saving lives one mile at a time.  Heroes for St. Jude Children's Hospital. 

Have a bless evening! Back to work tomorrow.  Smile it will brighten someones day.

Capt'n D







No comments:

Post a Comment

Boston Marathon Weekend 2024 (Part 1 - Travel with mom)

  I decided to break this post into 2 parts because there is just so much to share about Boston. 💛💙 First, my mom went with me to Boston. ...