Saturday, September 5, 2015

3 Day Weekend - Labor Day 2015

What is labor day? The most important thing to me is that it means 3 day weekend. :>)  Labor day is the first Monday is September and was set to honor the American labor movement.  For me it means getting in extra running miles this Monday.  Normally Monday is my REST day but due to a TRI coming up next Saturday, I need to get some extra miles in during the week.  I'm not sure how that's going to go because today was brutal.  I believe today was the hottest LSD training run that I've done a long time.  

We had a good group this morning. I was thinking it would be just me and Frank because we have several team members out of town for the long weekend.  However we had some non-team members join us today.  It was nice to have fresh faces to talk to.  :>)  Here's a picture of our group at 6am (11 of us).  

We had 8 - 19 milers in this group.  It was a nice variety of runners.  We also saw Jenn & Bubba as they were getting ready to start their 5 hour bike ride so I grabbed a quick hug with Jenn and wished them luck.  I asked Ronnie to say a quick prayer before we started and then we were off.  We all started out fairly fast but I was so enjoying the conversation and it really felt good that I didn't slow down.  I've been trying to keep my LSD around a 10:30 pace lately because it's been so hot this summer.  The heat really takes a toll on your body.  Plus your LSD is supposed to be 30-90 seconds slower than your marathon pace.  

By mile 14, I was drenched!  My feet were even sloshing in my shoes from so much sweat and I was getting extremely tired.  By this time Frank and I were alone running.  Some had finished their distance for the day and Be was pacing well ahead of us! She might be 60, but she's FAST. :>)  Don't ever doubt that little lady!  Anyway, I told Frank that I needed to start running a mile and then walking a couple minutes to finish the last 3 miles because honestly I was so hot I thought I might throw up.  Like I said earlier.. heat really takes a toll on your body and it was 93 degrees when we finished! Your body temperature always warms up 15-20 degrees when running so it was HOT!  I was so glad when we finished and boy did that cold shower feel awesome at Jackson Station!  

We have a private group page for team members so we can communicate with each other and often we all post selfies of our LSD runs.  So here's a few for you to enjoy! :>)  I LOVE this team!


Philip & Kim at Beach...them dogs! :>)


Lucy & Ethel as we call them. :>)  (Tracey & Marlinda)


Krista and her friend Charity.

Serina and JoAnn! 

Amie, Stephani, and a friend of theirs.

Everyone working towards their goal of either the half or full marathon at St. Jude in December. LOVE!

Now I'm sitting on my couch resting and reading my running journal.  A nice article on tips for runners....  I especially love this one.... MOVE YOUR LEGS DURING THE DAY.  If you work at a desk all day, sitting is the worst thing ever!  My doc has told me several times to get up every hour and walk around.  Some days its hard to do that because you are working so hard that you feel you can't take a break.  We must all try to remember to take a BREAK.  Do some lunges or just walk up and down the hall.  It will do your body good cause really sitting is one of the worst things for runners..... all those hamstrings, flutes, psoas, calves, you name it are getting tight.  We need to keep those muscles loose and this will help you in the long run.  

There is also an article on running shoes.  It's about time for me to buy a new pair and I'm debating ....do I buy Hoka or Brooks.  Well, after seeing this, I may stick with another pair of Hokas. They have a nice cushion on the bottom and my body seems to really like them on LSD runs.  I alternate my brooks, asics, and hoka right now.  However all are getting close to 300+ miles so it's time for new ones! 

You probably can't tell much from this black & white picture but the Hoka's are #2 in the picture. :>)  

Well, hope all you peeps have a great weekend!  I so wanted to lay by my pool today but I'm sitting here thinking to myself that I DO NOT want to be hot again today! LOL  

Happy training! Don't eat too much over the holiday weekend and enjoy your family time!

D

Psalm 71:5 ~ You are my hope; O Lord God, you are my confidence. ~



No comments:

Post a Comment

Boston Marathon Weekend 2024 (Part 1 - Travel with mom)

  I decided to break this post into 2 parts because there is just so much to share about Boston. ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’™ First, my mom went with me to Boston. ...