Thursday, September 26, 2019

RACE WEEK..........



Race week is here! 

Great start to the week getting this message from my coach:

"You are ready. You are brave. You are strong. You are confident.
Rest your body. Rest your mind. And build your soul: I am ready. I am brave. I am strong. I am confident."



Lisa has been amazing!  She's coached me now for 2 years to get me to this point.  I can't thank her enough!  

So here's the days leading up to Sunday (RACE DAY).

Monday - REST day! 

The day didn't start out well.  As I was leaving for work in my subdivision, I came upon an accident.  A young woman was hit while walking and killed.  I couldn't stop shaking.  It was so surreal!  I run that road all the time and never once have I felt unsafe.  Life is just so damn short!  We never know when our time will be!  I made it to work late and all I could think about was the 2 families involved.  So tragic.  So many lives changed all in one second! I had so many calls and text messages from people checking on me.  It was just a very blah day.    


Tuesday -  20 min swim, 30 min bike, 30 min run

20 min swim = 800 yards  Felt kind of odd only doing 20 minutes, but I was thankful for a short workout.  I didn't sleep well.  Still got the accident in my neighborhood weighing heavy on my heart.  I feel it's most likely just a terrible accident, but now 2 families are forever changed. :( 

Was going to do my bike and run after work... ended up only doing run.  I got distracted on my run thinking about the accident.  Just so sad.  When I finished my short run, I checked my supper I had left in the oven and then totally forgot about doing a short bike.  Just too much on my mind I guess.  Run was HOT which means I'm still thinking about this race coming up in a few days and this HEAT!  I'm hydrating every day and hoping this will help me not start out behind. 

Wednesday - 15 min swim, 25 min bike, 15 min run

Slept in and skipped the 15 min swim.  I just felt like I needed the sleep.   Plus my sciatic nerve and hip woke me up a few times during the night.. geez!!! Why!!!!  I had read on the FB Ironman page about different Podcast people planned to listen to as they did their long drives to Chattanooga.  Yes, so many are already in Chattanooga!  I've never listened to a Podcast so I decided to try one.  I listened to Crushing Iron #305 - How to race smart - especially in heat.  It was really good and the guy lives in Chattanooga and talked about the race!  I really needed to hear his message.   And as I drove out of my neighborhood to work, they now have flowers laying beside the road where the young girl was killed.  My heart just seemed to stop as I drove by.   

Bike 25 min - didn't feel like biking outside so I found a Peloton class that was similar to my workout I needed and did a class with Robin.  I felt great.  Afterwards I went outside to do my 15 min run and my neighbors were walking so I ended up walking with them.  Everyone in our hood is still just in shock over what has happen.  

Started getting my race stuff together.  I have stuff laid out all over one of our extra bedrooms!  It takes a lot of stuff to do an Ironman! You are doing 3 different things.. swimming, biking, and running!









Thursday - REST 

Packing and Packing and more packing is the plan!!! I kind of wish I had taken off work on this day!!! But with me being off all next week to go see Gary's mom, there was no way for me to take another day off.   However, it sure would have been nice to pack and kind of chill at home instead of being at work.  I can barely think about work.  All my thoughts are on traveling and the race!! Plus I'm looking forward to a week with my MIL where I won't have to clean house or cook and maybe I'll get in several naps. :>) 

Got to have lunch with 2 of my good friends that I know will be praying for me on Sunday.  Love you Frank & Krista!  You'll never know how much your support means to me. :>) 


This will be my last post until after the race....So here's my next few days leading up to Sunday:

Friday - Travel to Chatty... bike check, leg check, maybe swim on site ??  Get a feel for where everything is at.  Go to athlete check-in and briefing on race.  Opening ceremonies for race at 6pm. 


Saturday - Rest --- (Note: don't stay on your feet all day!  Rest and be ready for race on Sunday! HYDRATE... HYDRATE... HYDRATE) Check bike in with bike and run bags.  Make sure you have everything laid out that you'll need and in it's proper bag!


SUNDAY - RACE DAY 

Well.. that's it for now... I hope my next blog post will be a race recap of me completing my goal.  It's been a long 2 years.  I know I'm ready.  I know I can do this.  I've done the training.  AND now I pray that all things will come together for me on race day so that I can cross that finish line.  I would love for all of you to pray for me, please.  Sunday is going to be a very hot and long day.  All I can do is go out with God by my side and TRI (get that try.. TRI.. hee hee... ). 

It will all start and end here!


I love this! Its from another Ironman race, but the saying holds true for any Ironman race! I hope I have my "gratitude" on Sunday!  They say if you can't do something with a smile on your face then you aren't doing it right.  :>)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying Pig Marathon - 5/4/24

  Last marathon for me until the Fall. 🙌🙌🙌😁 3 weeks after Boston another marathon.. say what.. ha ... I think we actually registered for...